GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am paying to have the RCDLR replaced on my 2013 Volt although it is still under warranty. This is due to TPMS problems which have been ongoing for 18 months without resolution. The car has been into the dealership many many times and each time I have asked to have the K77 RCDLR replaced as there has been a problem in earlier models. So far they have replaced tire stems, the BCM, reprogrammed various modules but for some reason they refuse to replace this receiver. I am only paying for it so I can resolve the matter once and for all.

My questions is this: What do you think is a fair labour charge to replace the unit?. The RCDLR is around $50 but they want two hours labour at $110 per hour to pop off the black plastic cover on the rear view mirror, clip out the receiver (5 minutes) and then 1 hour 55 minutes to "reprogram".

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Have you talked to your volt advisor to get satisfaction under the warranty. .? They seem to get all problems resolved.

Good luck

Don

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,596 Posts
You aren't using a power supply for a dash cam, gps, or other external device by any chance? They have been known to interfere with TPMS transmissions. Also, have you asked the techs to check for the 2012 bulletin on RCDLR replacements for 2012 models (maybe a 2013 could have been affected)?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the information Somms, I will cancel the service appointment but pick up the special order part. If programming is not an issue, I am sure that my past 20 years as an auto mechanic will allow me to replace the receiver myself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you talked to your volt advisor to get satisfaction under the warranty. .? They seem to get all problems resolved.

Good luck

Don
I have been in constant contact with my Volt Advisor. He has had the Engineering Dept talk to the Volt technician at the dealership but somehow nothing gets resolved.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You aren't using a power supply for a dash cam, gps, or other external device by any chance? They have been known to interfere with TPMS transmissions. Also, have you asked the techs to check for the 2012 bulletin on RCDLR replacements for 2012 models (maybe a 2013 could have been affected)?
Absolutely nothing attached or in the cabin that would produce any RF interference. I even removed my highway toll road transponder in case that was the problem. The TPMS warning is completely random, sometimes a week apart, sometimes occurs several times on a short trip.
Ly

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,596 Posts
What type of TPMS warning are you getting? One thing you might want to check before spending the $30, if you haven't already done so, is to check the battery condition of the TPMS sensors; this can be done (probably free) by a tire dealer like Discount Tire, or you can do it yourself with a TPMS tool like the Autel TS401. The other thing you might want to do before ordering is to remove the cover and make sure the current RCDLR is properly seated.

If you do replace the RCDLR and it solves the problem, I hope you ask your Volt Advisor to arrange for your reimbursement of the cost of the unit. Pls let us hear how this plays out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All the valve stems have been replaced over the 18 months or so that this has been happening so I have to assume the stem sensor batteries should be okay. The TPMS warning shows -- on various wheels but mostly RF, sometimes three wheels, sometimes two. I will be buying the RCDLR on Tuesday and will install it then. I promise to report the result to the forum. Chevrolet will reimburse me you can be assured. Thank you bent biker.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The part came in and it was the same part number that somms described. I removed the black cover on the interior rear view mirror and was surprised that there was no receiver visible that looked anything like the one described. There is a silver coloured box which has the part number 22953251 on it which is described as a camera for the forward collision warning system. Does this also double as the RCDLR and TPMS monitor?

·
Administrator
20,667 Posts
There is a silver coloured box which has the part number 22953251 on it which is described as a camera for the forward collision warning system. Does this also double as the RCDLR and TPMS monitor?
Do you happen to have the advanced safety package? That might account for the difference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It could be that I do, it has lane departure warning, and forward collision avoidance warning. Would the VIN tell me what is built in?

·
Administrator
20,667 Posts
It could be that I do, it has lane departure warning, and forward collision avoidance warning. Would the VIN tell me what is built in?
IDK, but if you already know you have those, seems like a moot point anyway. Unless the part you bought is buried below what you are seeing, the part you bought is for a car without lane departure warning, and forward collision avoidance warning.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is no room for the standard receiver in the compartment. I took off the mounting plate down to the windshield. The RCDLR is either some place else or the camera module doubles as the receiver for the remote and TPMS sensors?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would it be advisable to disconnect the camera and see if the remote locks and unlocks the car?. If so then I would know that the RCDLR is lurking elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

I take it your Volt is different from the above where this receiver is installed in my base Volt!?:confused:

Edit:

Receiver is still there (item#5) but possibly a diff part#13583332

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see the camera #9, #7 whatever that is (a little doodad) and the wiring harness #6, but there is no number 5?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts