GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm Chema, from Spain.

I have 2012 Chevy Volt with 85k km. Well, since a coulpe of weeks ago, front right TPMS start to show a decrease of tire presure... at first, it didn't care me so much, but it kept going decreasing slowly day after day and now i have low tire presure's light turned on in my dashboard.

I don't know what happens because the tire has same pressure than front left tire (320kps) same than all 4 tires had when i've bought the car in 2018 Nov.

I've read that European Volt has four independent receiver for each TPMS and it have an automatic learn mode to calibrate it.

The sensor still show presure, not show a sensor fault, only low presure.

Any idea to try the fix it?

Thanks so much for all!

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,416 Posts
Can you take it to a tire dealer and ask them to use their tool to read what each tire's sensor is reporting as the pressure vs what that pressure actually measures with a handheld gauge? My first guess would be that after 7-8 years, the battery in one or more of the units might have died and the sensor(s) are sending inaccurate warnings to the receiver(s). If all sensors are reporting accurate pressures, it could be a bad receiver or even a dying 12v battery; have you checked the voltage and does this issue occur while driving or when you first turn on the car?

BTW, if you have the same original tires as the US models, that pressure is very high. What is the European recommended pressure? Here, the 38 psi recommendation equates to 262 kps. At your 46 psi pressure, I'd be worried about the filling falling out of my teeth even if my sensors didn't fail.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you take it to a tire dealer and ask them to use their tool to read what each tire's sensor is reporting as the pressure vs what that pressure actually measures with a handheld gauge? My first guess would be that after 7-8 years, the battery in one or more of the units might have died and the sensor(s) are sending inaccurate warnings to the receiver(s). If all sensors are reporting accurate pressures, it could be a bad receiver or even a dying 12v battery; have you checked the voltage and does this issue occur while driving or when you first turn on the car?

BTW, if you have the same original tires as the US models, that pressure is very high. What is the European recommended pressure? Here, the 38 psi recommendation equates to 262 kps. At your 46 psi pressure, I'd be worried about the filling falling out of my teeth even if my sensors didn't fail.
Thanks.

My first check was my 12v battery and seems to be ok.

The car was bought by the first owner on Aug 2013. Maybe the sensor battery is dying but it’s strange if all sensors are from same date but I don’t discard it.

The tires which actually wear are Michelin Energy Saver X Green with a maximum pressure accepted of 350 kps, actually are in 320 and i haven’t modified since I’ve bought the car.

I’ve thought to empty the tire and fill it again to try but I think is a little bit stupid LOL.

I will try your ideas before go to dealer because here there aren’t so much dealers who knows this car...

Thank you very much.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Batteries of TPMS don't die at the same time, there are manufacturing differences. Knowing when an AGM 12V battery is at the end of its life can be tricky. The 12V battery is charged from the Main 350V battery every time the car is turned on. When you turn the car off and measure the battery voltage it may show 12+V but that won't last long (not much staying power) on an older battery. Better to measure after it has set a couple days (if possible) and/or it has been used a few times like locking unlocking doors, opening hatch, lighting interior when door is opened etc. As it gets close to that 12V mark weird things can start happening. On mine, the compass stopped working, door lock/unlock buttons were intermittent, some worked, some didn't then stopped working all together and I think the TPMS started going a little wonky (at least on one just like yours). I changed it at 6 years (give or take) and these functions came back. Best to not take it to the point where it won't start the computers at all at the most inconvenient time. Some people change the 12V at 5 years as a matter of course to avoid this. At a minimum I would do it after 5 years the minute things started acting up.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Check the pressure on all 4 tires. The reading may actually be coming from a rear tire if the tires where rotated at some point but the new locations not relearned by the mechanic doing the work.

This has happened to more than one person. They see a low reading, check the tire, all is well. Meanwhile, it's a different tire that is losing pressure but the tire locations are not where the car thinks they are because the TPMS was never updated.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Thanks.

My first check was my 12v battery and seems to be ok.

The car was bought by the first owner on Aug 2013. Maybe the sensor battery is dying but it’s strange if all sensors are from same date but I don’t discard it.
They probably ARE all from the same date. That means that this failing sensor is either an outlier or (more likely) simply the first of the four to fail and you can expect to replace the rest of them soon as well. Which means even if you replace only one now, when the next one fails, replace all three of the old ones and save yourself some bother.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Check the pressure on all 4 tires. The reading may actually be coming from a rear tire if the tires where rotated at some point but the new locations not relearned by the mechanic doing the work.

This has happened to more than one person. They see a low reading, check the tire, all is well. Meanwhile, it's a different tire that is losing pressure but the tire locations are not where the car thinks they are because the TPMS was never updated.
EU Volts seem to have an auto-learn capacity and separate receivers for each wheel. Tire rotations won't fool them for more than 10-15 minutes of driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally, the issue was... a little tire prick... i've fixed it and the sensor has fixed by itself...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts