GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tire pressure monitor issue due Window Tint film?

Hello Everyone. I haven't posted in a while. But need to ask for your opinion of some experts here.
I had an issue with my TPM sensors (Tire pressure monitors) a week ago. Two of my rear tires lost synchronization with the computer and got the error message in the display. Took it to the dealer where they did a re-calibration.
The next day I was driving on the highway and the message of "Service TPM" came out again. But this time it lasted for 5 minutes. It was only one tire. This scenario repeated each time I hit the highway. City driving is ok.
Took it back to the dealer. Today I got a call from the service agent telling about the issue with the TPM is due to my windows tinting.

I don't understand the relationship so I did a research online and there is not much real life information. I know that there is possibility to interfere with RF signals with Metallic Tint Film.I used a professional installer and they told me about Metallic film blocking GPS or Cellular signal. So in conclusion my window films are not metallic and I had them installed 18 months ago and had no issues till a couple of weeks ago.

Any advice ? The dealer wants me to remove my tinted films at my cost before they can do more diagnostic on my car.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
1. Some TPMS sensors tool will give some indication of the state of the battery in the sensor which may be a problem

2. The tool can trigger a sending of the data so try with the 4 windows down and see what that does.

I can't recall where the antenna is located to collect the TPMS sensors in the Volt but the GPS/MX and Cell have their own mount on top of the car so will not be a problem.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer. I am wondering if the dealer checked the battery of the sensors. And it could be possible. Knowing that we had very cold winter here in Illinois last winter.

1. Some TPMS sensors tool will give some indication of the state of the battery in the sensor which may be a problem

2. The tool can trigger a sending of the data so try with the 4 windows down and see what that does.

I can't recall where the antenna is located to collect the TPMS sensors in the Volt but the GPS/MX and Cell have their own mount on top of the car so will not be a problem.

·
Administrator
20,888 Posts
Windows down would be a good test of the window tint hypothesis. My guess would be a battery in the TPMS is failing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts