GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Older story...but I must have missed it...
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/25/toyota-to-take-on-tesla-with-fast-charging-car-battery.html

Toyota Motor Corp aims to begin selling in 2022 an electric car powered by a new type of battery that significantly increases driving range and reduces recharging time, the Chunichi Shimbun daily reported on Tuesday.

Current electric vehicles (EVs) typically have a range of just 300-400 kilometres (185-250 miles) and need 20-30 minutes to recharge even using fast chargers. By using all-solid-state batteries, which can store more energy and can recharge more quickly than lithium ion batteries, Japan's top automaker would be removing the two key shortcomings associated with EVs today.

The EV, to be built on an all-new platform, would be able to recharge in just a few minutes, Chunichi Shimbun said, without citing sources. Toyota has decided to sell the new model in Japan as early as in 2022, the paper said.

A Toyota spokeswoman said the company could not immediately comment on the report.

Toyota, which had long touted hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles and plug-in hybrids as the most viable low-emission alternative to conventional cars, said last year it wanted to add long-range EVs to its lineup as battery-powered cars gain traction around the globe.

Toyota is reportedly planning to begin mass-producing EVs in China, the world's biggest auto market, as early as in 2019, although that model would be based on the existing C-HR sport utility vehicle and use lithium-ion batteries, which power most EVs today.

Other automakers such as BMW are also working on developing all-solid-state batteries, eyeing mass production in the next 10 years.

Solid-state batteries use solid electrolytes rather than liquid ones, making them safer than lithium-ion batteries currently on the market.

·
Administrator
21,021 Posts
I'm pretty sure others including Dyson are working on solid state batteries. Still, until they are actually powering cars, a press release about the future is all we have.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm pretty sure others including Dyson are working on solid state batteries. Still, until they are actually powering cars, a press release about the future is all we have.
Lol Dyson!? I thought you were trolling. Googled, "Dyson Electric Car," and to my surprise, sure enough, they're working on it. Whhaaaatttt????

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Gotta love "vaporware". I mean what does it cost Toyota to have an engineer write a paper and then get it published. That's one way to compete with Tesla and GM.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
HaHa, what they might do in 5 years? Tell me what you are actually building now.

At least they may finally be taking BEV seriously instead of chasing impractical H2 or resting on their hybrid program.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Lol Dyson!? I thought you were trolling. Googled, "Dyson Electric Car," and to my surprise, sure enough, they're working on it. Whhaaaatttt????
Dyson is a bit like Musk or Jobs, he can sell a $150 vacuum for $600 through marketing.

Many companies are working Solid State Batteries, and I don't really see them as a game changer, but definitely a step up in safety. 2025 might be a good bet, my guess is test vehicles might start coming early 2020's.

SSB timeline: http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170630000615

Unlike Toyota, Samsung SDI and LG Chem are likely to unveil “solid-like” batteries for electric cars, instead of directly mass producing solid-state batteries. Solid-like batteries, which have some liquid electrolytes, are safer than lithium-ion batteries and easier to produce than solid-state batteries, experts said.
and Toyota seems to be the furthest along, so 2022 might be likely:
Currently, Japanese automaker Toyota is known to be the most advanced in solid-state battery technology in the world. It has around 200 engineers developing solid-state batteries at its Higashi Fuji Technical Center with the aim of commercializing it around 2020.
Eric

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Lets see, today, not 5 or 10 years from now, for Toyota to bring out a prototype battery of this type installed in one of their vehicles for all the world to see. With today's technology there is no excuse that this battery should not be available now.

I am tired of all these magical batteries that will be out in a couple of years that never see the light of day. Fake News in my book.

I can recall being a kid in high school during the 1960's when I would read Popular Science and Popular Mechanics in the school library. There was so many fantastic inventions and enovations that were no more than a writers pipe dream....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts