GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is the answer to the Prius Plug-in/Volt debate, Someone managed to average 356mpg in a plug-in Prius and it set a record and won some sort of Contest (I guess it would be hard to do with 11 mile range). How many average Volt drivers get this consistently or well beyond with out even trying? And this is only a 30 day sample period, easy for me to get in the 1000's of MPG in a 30 day period in normal driving pattern. I'm not trying to put down the Prius but I never understood the 11 mile range, as you can see whats easy in a Volt is a Major achievement in a Plug-in Prius and worthy of a trophy. Funny the Volt gets very little credit for its accomplishments or positive press.

From my understanding of MPGe, I'm not sure the author really understands MPGe. I assume he means gas used vs miles driven.

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/07/16/toyota-prius-plug-in-mpg-challenges-first-winner-averages-356-mpge/

·
Registered
99 Posts
Actual MPG (as computed by the car computer and reported) of volt owners typically are far above the 356MPG, in my case I have used 3 gallons for 1575 miles or 525 MPG. But I am not even trying to be economical, I am quite heavy footed, and my daily commute is 22 miles. Many Volt owners go for months without using any gasoline with MPGs in 4 digits!

In average a Volt is about 3 times better than a Prius.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'm sitting at a little over 200 lifetime average, but that's including a few road trips. I don't play stats games with my mileage and will not take a different vehicle when I need to drive more than 40 miles in order to avoid gas. I just drive like any other vehicle and frequently end up burning a splash of gas to finish my trip. Even with this scenario, I'm currently at 2800 miles on 3.2 gallons since July 19. Somehow, I just don't get too excited about 356 MPG.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Clearly the contest is for MPG, not MPGe. The following from the article makes no sense...

Helping Hands came in with 506 total miles driven and averaged 356 MPGe. That is 261 MPGe more than the vehicle’s official estimated average in EV Mode.
Drop the "e" from the first 356 MPGe and it makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The 'contest' is a joke. All they have done is to ensure that ANOTHER gasser is used to not SPOIL the contesting Prius' numbers. While they are trying to promote environmental awareness, I suspect that the environment probably loses in the scenario, because I suspect the OTHER car will burn MORE gas than the original Pip would have.

After a while, I feel like there are very few on this planet that actually 'get it'.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I find myself getting caught up in efficiency arithmetric. In all honesty, I enjoy the puzzle immensely. I'm glad I made the choice I did and get to work the green problems I am presented with. And I'm really happy that many other kinds of vehicle owners are playing similar games.
I think my 2013 Volt is a substantial improvement over my 2007 Prius (which my son is now driving the next quarter million miles, fwiw). But just maybe there's a whole crop of people who chose the PIP who are going through similar awakenings that I did in 2007. Maybe we might be better off giving us all encouragement instead of figuring who's the bestest of the best.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
That's lame. I have used exactly 2 gallons of fuel since this past January and have travel over 6000 miles. I don't even bother trying to calculate MPG or MPGe anymore. That's the only real world number that matters to me. I've cut my fuel consumption/use by over 90%. verifiable on VoltStats - Von Zipper

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
It all depends upon driving patterns.
If your driving patterns are such that you never drive more than 11-13 miles between charges, that mpg is easy.
Likewise, if you never travel more than 36-40 miles in a Volt you will get even better results. But the results in a PiP would crash down to about 75-85mpg.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
My lifetime average passed 1000MPG a couple weeks ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts