GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After dismissing EV's in favor of Hydrogen Fool Cells and mild hybrids, Toyota has had a change of heart, teasing an electric SUV that will launch in 2021.
Better late than never, but the all-electric EV is destined for the European market, not North America. The new EV would be about the size of a RAV4 or Forester and will be based on its forthcoming e-TNGA platform.

Toyota is now saying that it plans to produce 5.5 million EVs every year by 2025. Its definition of EV's includes hybrids and PHEVs, EVs and hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles. How many will be pure EV? Hard to say.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Could this announcement have been any more vague? This car has no name, no specs, no release date, no photos, just a cheesy line drawing of what the profile might look like. I'll believe it when I see it.

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a ghost view with no doors.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
With only 39 places to fuel a hydrogen car in the US with new stations at 1 to 3 million dollars a pop vs. millions of places to charge an EV (commonly called an electric outlet) you wonder what took them so long.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
With only 39 places to fuel a hydrogen car in the US with new stations at 1 to 3 million dollars a pop vs. millions of places to charge an EV (commonly called an electric outlet) you wonder what took them so long.
One acronym: MITI

Japan's MITI has been pushing Hydrogen since the late 80s and will loose face if they don't deliver. Honda is in the same boat. I'm still trying to figure out how Nissan avoided MITI.

·
Registered
981 Posts
They are super late to the game making this announcement.

I wonder how the RAV4 hybrid and plugin hybrid sales are going?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I know you can't find a Rav4 hybrid up here to save your life. Scarce as hen's teeth.

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One acronym: MITI

Japan's MITI has been pushing Hydrogen since the late 80s and will loose face if they don't deliver. Honda is in the same boat. I'm still trying to figure out how Nissan avoided MITI.
Carlos Ghosn refused to go along. Then he was arrested. How's that for a conspiracy theory? :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Carlos Ghosn refused to go along. Then he was arrested. How's that for a conspiracy theory? :)
I believe there is a Japanese saying that translates as "protruding nails will be hammered".

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
In related news, Toyota announced that they're making solid state batteries and have over 1,000 patents on them. Cold be a game changer and I'd trust them over any of the other smaller co's making SSB claims.

Toyota's game-changing solid-state battery en route for 2021 debut - Nikkei Asia
You may be trusting the wrong people. Toyota has since stated their solid state batteries don't have the longevity and won't be out till 2025/2026 (if they can solve the problem). Whereas Quantumscape has solved the problems and the only issue is scaling to industrial proportions, a production engineering problem, not a chemical problem.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You may be trusting the wrong people. Toyota has since stated their solid state batteries don't have the longevity and won't be out till 2025/2026 (if they can solve the problem). Whereas Quantumscape has solved the problems and the only issue is scaling to industrial proportions, a production engineering problem, not a chemical problem.
That article literally came out yesterday at 7:29 Japan time. Do you have something subsequent?

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
That entire fiasco with his ouster and arrest is really suspicious. I noticed that once he got out of Japan the Japanese government basically dropped the issue and didn't ask for extradition. They left the warrant open so he's persona-non-grata in Japan, probably for the rest of his life, but they really don't want to push the issue. I suspect this is because his defense will really make them loose face.

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Toyota said it will be showing a prototype solid state battery sometime 2021. VW and others are talking about production around 2025. It sounds like we are still about 5 years away from these bing in buyable cars. Cost has not been discussed, but there certainly are lots of other advantages in safety, recharge time, range.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Toyota said it will be showing a prototype solid state battery sometime 2021. VW and others are talking about production around 2025. It sounds like we are still about 5 years away from these bing in buyable cars. Cost has not been discussed, but there certainly are lots of other advantages in safety, recharge time, range.
From the article,

Toyota plans to be the first company to sell an electric vehicle equipped with a solid-state battery in the early 2020s.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
There's at least one bus maker in Europe already selling BEV busses with solid state batteries. The question is how soon will they be able to deliver.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
That article literally came out yesterday at 7:29 Japan time. Do you have something subsequent?
The article was from yesterday on Yahoo newsfeed. It was about Quantumscape news release and stated that Toyota had plans for their solid state battery for a 2021 introduction but because of longevity issue it was pushed back to 2025. There's about 5 issues with solid state batteries and when you solve four the fifth raises it's head. Looked but can't find the article. There are so many out there now with yesterday's release.

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Like VW, Toyota plans to have its solid-state batteries on the road by 2025. But earlier this year, Keiji Kaita, vice president of Toyota’s powertrain division, told the industry publication Automotive News that the company still needed to improve the battery’s limited life span.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The reports claim that the new solid-state battery will enable 500 km (310 miles) of range and charging from zero to 100% in just 10 minutes.

For comparison, the 2017 Bolt is rated at 119 MPGe, or 119 miles/33.7 kWh from the wall = 87.8 kWh/310 miles.

Does the pumping equipment yet exist that is capable of putting 87.8 kWh of grid power into a battery in 10 minutes? And how much would it cost to recharge the battery at that speed?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts