GM Volt Forum banner

Tow hitch adapter modification

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  turboguy327 
#1 ·
I got a 13' Volt and don't know if anyone ran into this problem, but I have a fix I've been meaning to post for a long time. I have a Curt hitch and wanted to fit a 2" cargo carrier into the 1.25" receiver via adapter. I got one like this so it wouldn't scrape the ground:

Product Technology Electronic device

The problem was though that it hit the reverse light well before the pin could get in. So I grabbed my trusty cutoff wheel and hacked a hunk out, grinded the edges, and painted it:

Technology Electronics Electronic device Gadget

Now it fits flush:

Auto part Car Vehicle

So if you buy one of those, fear not. Just needs some DIY work.

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you have to modify whatever it is you're putting into the 2" receiver also? Hopefully whatever it is isn't very heavy

Don

#3 ·
No, the carrier and any hitch balls didn't require modification. They stopped well before the end.
The stuff wasn't heavy, but I did notice a 100 lbs tongue weight limit in the manual. *gulp* I had sat on it to test it before I read (I'm 250 lbs). Nothing bent out of shape or broke to my knowledge. The hitch does make a good (abrupt) curb stopper when backing into a spot I found.

To all: sorry about the picture, for some reason they uploaded sideways.

#4 ·
100 lbs tongue weight takes into account dynamic loading. You stepping on it is a pretty static load.
If you put 100lbs on it and hit a bump at 60mph, the hitch is going to see a lot more than 100lbs.

#5 ·
I had an old-time hitch installer modify my standard Volt hitch by attaching a hanger to the frame above the receiver. He assured me it would exceed 500lb tongue weight, instead of 100lb when you only use floor bolts on the driver side, as there is no room to attach to frame there.
I've pulled a 2000Lb 6x10 ft flatbed and a 2000lb 6x20 ft flatbed trailer with 200 lb electric scooters aboard, with no ill effects to the car, hitch nor trailers. The Volt torque has no trouble handling 2000 lbs easily, now that the steel plate hanger compensates well for the weakness of the driver side attachment. (Hitch is installed with the hanger plate as an addition to the original two connection points. It was welded to the hitch and double bolted to the frame above the receiver.)
Hope that helps someone who knows a hitch installer old enough to have custom installed hitches for a living.
GDC 190323

#6 ·
That sounds really interesting, I don't suppose you have a picture? Sounds simple enough...

I'm looking at buying a Volt in the near future, and I'll need to haul 2,000lbs a few times a year. I found two hitches that say they are rated for 2K, and require removing the rear bumper and installing directly to the frame (I think)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.