GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called the Chevy dealer and got a price on one of those eye bolts that screws in to the frame on the front (after you remove the little access door). $135!!!! Yikes!!!! I sure hope I never get stuck in the snow!

·
Administrator
19,982 Posts
And after paying $135 you'll find it useless for a Gen 1 Volt unless you have a Volt that was sold into an export market like the UK. The domestic Volts don't have a threaded hole for the tow eye bolt!

·
Registered
121 Posts
And after paying $135 you'll find it useless for a Gen 1 Volt unless you have a Volt that was sold into an export market like the UK. The domestic Volts don't have a threaded hole for the tow eye bolt!
Agreed! I popped the panel on my 2012 and poked and prodded with a metal pick. All I felt was metal through the styrofoam, no hole.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Maybe that's why it costs so much. They have to drill and thread a hole in the frame. :eek:

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
LoL I grabbed one at a local swap meet last summer for $5. Read the same as above about there being no threaded hole on the US models. That doesn't make much sense as it costs more to have two different parts under there, but if that's the case, oh well :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, without the eye bolt, is there anyplace to attach to the car to pull it out if I get stuck in snow?

·
Administrator
19,982 Posts

·
Administrator
19,982 Posts
LoL I grabbed one at a local swap meet last summer for $5. Read the same as above about there being no threaded hole on the US models. That doesn't make much sense as it costs more to have two different parts under there, but if that's the case, oh well :)
Since you have one, pop the diamond shaped tow eye bolt bumper cover and screw it into Let us know whether GM produced some domestic cars that do have a threaded hole. But at least initially, those looking at wrecked Volts with the bumper bar exposed reported no threaded hole.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, towing is covered in the owners manual. Or, review our tow truck guide
Thanks. I looked at it and it would be very hard to hook up to those small holes in the frame if the car was in the ditch! I just need to not drive my Volt if there's any chance of getting stuck in snow!

·
Administrator
19,982 Posts
Thanks. I looked at it and it would be very hard to hook up to those small holes in the frame if the car was in the ditch! I just need to not drive my Volt if there's any chance of getting stuck in snow!
Yes, the Volt is low and getting to the torque box openings located just behind the front wheels could be a pain.

Two words: Snow Tires. The Volt is like a tank in the snow with snow tires. You'll loose about 5 miles in range but gain very good handling.

·
Administrator
19,982 Posts
Is there a difference in how strongly the US bumpers are attached to the frame?
That would seem as odd as not threading the holes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[
The Volt is like a tank in the snow with snow tires.
How does it do on icy roads going up hill? I live in Colorado in the mountains and live on a dirt road that is not county maintained. We have a truck with a snow plow, but the road gets driven on with 4x4s and gets packed down before it gets plowed. This packed snow turns to ice. We have grades of 10% and 12% in places, so the weight shifts toward the back and that's when I get in trouble.

I don't currently have snow tires on my Volt, I have a 4x4 that I drive on days the road is bad. I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting snow tires, or just not drive it on those days. I'd like to drive the Volt as much as I can though.

·
Administrator
19,982 Posts
[

How does it do on icy roads going up hill? I live in Colorado in the mountains and live on a dirt road that is not county maintained. We have a truck with a snow plow, but the road gets driven on with 4x4s and gets packed down before it gets plowed. This packed snow turns to ice. We have grades of 10% and 12% in places, so the weight shifts toward the back and that's when I get in trouble.

I don't currently have snow tires on my Volt, I have a 4x4 that I drive on days the road is bad. I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting snow tires, or just not drive it on those days. I'd like to drive the Volt as much as I can though.
Can't say, but I suspect the 4x4 is better. However, even here in flat Illinois the snows make a big difference, especially when you need to plow through a big snow pile dividing say a 4 lane road one side from the other. Or on snow days before the road is plowed. The Volt does OK without, but much better with snow tires. I have Blizzaks, VMMV

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
And my 2 cents. I just got stuck in grass after creating a mudd pit. I parked off the pavement because of a possible hail storm by the side of tree in someones yard just 4 foot off their pavement but slightly inclined. Well I could not even get up it. After back and forth and then drastic measure by person who thought they were an nascar driver creating more of a mudd pit I got stuck 10 ft further into the grass. Terrible that GM was so dam cheap to not include the eye bolt for the same darn car they sold over seas that they included it for. WHAT THE HELL were they thinking. And regarding the rear, if you strap some part by the wheel properly you can wintch it out which in my case is what I will have to do. GM put the darn eye hook on ALL CARS and build one in the rear like Honda has even on their civics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts