GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some pictures of people doing this. I guess I'm wondering about the general capability here. I know you're not supposed to, however, the Volt seems fine to tow something like this small distances at low speeds.

Does anyone know how it may handle a 3500 pound boat & trailer? Again, distance under 10 miles, speed under 35 mph.

My biggest concern would be if there's an after market hitch that can handle that amount with the Volt. Probably not, but thought I'd check.

Thanks!

·
Registered
741 Posts
that is a big hitch to go 3500 lbs.

but this one is good for 200/2000.

http://torkliftcentral.com/2011-2014-chevy-volt-ecohitch-invisi

if you are real nice, I am sure it could handle higher load at low speeds for short distances. your tongue weight would have to be reduced to stay under the 200 lbs. there is a video of 7 lb dog pulling a small car a few feet. so pulling isnt that bad. the problem I have had in the past pulling my boat with frt wheel drive cars is that the boat tends to unload the frt tires so they slip on the dock. the car has more than enough horsepower.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
No, just no. The brakes are designed to stop the volt and the volt alone. In a panic stop if there is a wreck and somebody dies it will be blamed on your neglect. Good luck ever having insurance again. It's a horrible idea on so many levels. Rent a truck from uhaul for an hour.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I was under the impression that if you towed anything with the Volt it would void your warranty.

·
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it likely voids the warranty. This becomes less of an issue for people out of warranty. I also know some have done it so I was hoping to get their insight and experiences.

I am not particularly keen on it, but I did want to hear some feedback from some who have done it. Thanks for the other comments too!

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have only towed both my fold down campers (1500 to 2000) and my boats (1800) with cars for 35 yrs. With Saab 900 (110 hp), tow VW Quantums (115 hp) , Eagle Vision, and others. I pulled the campers at plus 70 thru the mountains with ease. The boats on local highways at 70 and they are more aero dynamic hogs than you can imagine. The only problem sometimes is on slick docks and hog tongue weights (one time the boat lost the plug and was full of a ton of water and we had to sit on the frt fenders because the tires slipped using the SAAB).

I never had a towing related repair issue. In fact I never had any issue with the drive train for over 100k on any car. I knew people that pulled huge boats out of Lake Michigan with old VW type III's.

I dont think a ocassional towing of short distance, low speed will ever cause any problem. and the Volt is certainly heavier and more horse power than either my SAAB or VW.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Pulling it isn't the only problem. You still have to stop and turn the load as well. Neither of which the volt is remotely designed for. People have towed tiny little trailers with volts but the boat the OP is talking about almost doubles the weight of the car. If there is a wreck he may be held liable and that opens him up to a HUGE lawsuit. Renting a truck for $80 bucks is cheaper and easier and it makes sense.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

Comparing apples & oranges but the Tesla Model X didn't break a sweat driving at top speed towing an Alfa Romeo 4C while beating an Alfa Romeo 4C hands down in a drag race.

FWIW: No mention was made in the video to possible warranty issues!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I'm glad all my trailers have their own brakes.

That said the volt has the most rediculously oversized brakes of any of my cars.

I tow with my 1800lb insight, I have no doubt the volt is fine anywhere but true mountains with a trailer in tow and a stabilizer hitch

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Class III is well above a compact car's capability. It's not only the power (Volt is equivalent to V-6) it's the tail wagging the dog. Volt's suspension is not designed for 350lb tongue weight. 10% of tow weight needs to be on the tongue to help with porpoiseing.

Use a 1500 series truck or heavier.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'm glad all my trailers have their own brakes.

That said the volt has the most rediculously oversized brakes of any of my cars.

I tow with my 1800lb insight, I have no doubt the volt is fine anywhere but true mountains with a trailer in tow and a stabilizer hitch
in most states a trailer of class III would be required to have brakes, which means there not much additional load placed on the car brakes. I assume the OP is not traveling up or down a mountain.

A Volt stopping at 70 probably is more severe than a Volt and trailer at 35 mph.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yes, it likely voids the warranty. This becomes less of an issue for people out of warranty. I also know some have done it so I was hoping to get their insight and experiences.

I am not particularly keen on it, but I did want to hear some feedback from some who have done it. Thanks for the other comments too!
With 8 year 100k warranty I am sure some may never tow.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
in most states a trailer of class III would be required to have brakes, which means there not much additional load placed on the car brakes. I assume the OP is not traveling up or down a mountain.

A Volt stopping at 70 probably is more severe than a Volt and trailer at 35 mph.
But without the wiring and brake controller...

·
Banned
301 Posts
I've seen some pictures of people doing this. I guess I'm wondering about the general capability here. I know you're not supposed to, however, the Volt seems fine to tow something like this small distances at low speeds.

Does anyone know how it may handle a 3500 pound boat & trailer? Again, distance under 10 miles, speed under 35 mph.

My biggest concern would be if there's an after market hitch that can handle that amount with the Volt. Probably not, but thought I'd check.

Thanks!
I drive a 1,000 pound PWC to and from the lake. It doesn't have a problem doing it but the range is greatly affected. I can feel the car not liking the extra 1,000 pounds back there when it comes to breaking. The shocks are in no way shape or form made for a trailer that 3,500 pounds. That means even though the tongue weight is under 200 if you go over a bump the car will be supporting a large portion of that weight and I cannot see it even coming close to handling that. To the point you may actually rip the back of the car apart.

I would NOT put that much weight on a frame that was never meant to carry any weight let alone almost 2 tons.

Plus trying to pull that much weight out of the water may have a lot of problems.

Don't do it!!! But if you do please take pictures of the aftermath.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
But without the wiring and brake controller...
My sub 2000lb (loaded) trailer has brakes that do not require any electricity called pulse brakes, the force of the trailer pushing against the car activates them, I have always found it sad that you have to pull teeth to get this very simple system optionally installed to a trailer

Also all my trailers I have fitted to support something similar to the below item.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Curt-Weight-Distribution-Hitch/1191262.uts?productVariantId=2941439&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03208590&rid=20&gclid=CJqT9ICx_c0CFY0AaQod-6AL7w&gclsrc=aw.ds

After years of pulling up to 12000lbs with a 1982 diesel suburban I can attest to the affectiveness of the above simple device at preventing the tail wagging the dog.

I have no doubt a 4000lb (loaded) car like a volt can handle a 3500lb trailer at low speeds, so long as the op is willing to use common sense.

350lb tongue weight seems, well rather ridiculous, when I was pulling 12000 lbs I still didn't have much over 200lbs of tongue weight, I would strongly question his actual weight,

Also a few simple things can dramatically alter his tongue weight, if he truly has that much he can do 1 of 2 things and 1 of the things is free.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The problem with surge or pulse brakes is if there is no sway control, which I doubt the OP will use, once you get sway there is nothing you can do to get out of it unless you've had some experience. I'm familiar with towing. I haul a 30' 15,000 lb enclosed trailer daily.

·
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks all. My plan is NOT to do this, but I did want to get the feelers out there to see what had been done and to possibly be convinced otherwise. But I agree Class III is a bit much for a Volt. ;)

·
2,356 Posts
You'd need trailer brakes and a custom hitch. The brakes are legally required in New York State for that trailer weight (over 3000 lbs loaded). The highest-rated, commercially available, bolt on hitch for the Volt is the EcoHitch at 200/2000 lbs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts