GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... This issue is occurring on a 2012 UK Ampera but hopefully someone here has seen it or knows about it.

From time to time, on touching a touchscreen button (apparently along the bottom of the screen, eg driving tips, radio favourites), the Time/Date setting screen (in Time Set mode) is displayed. Thereafter, touching the screen produces a click but no on-screen buttons are functional and the screen cannot be changed by touching the screen.

Pressing a button on the center console dismisses the Time Set display and displays the correct screen, but touching the screen thereafter again causes the inoperative Time Set display to be shown. In this condition, while functions can be accessed and displayed via the console buttons, no functions that rely on touching the screen can be used (eg Energy Efficiency, charge setting screen).

The problem appears remedied by power-cycling the vehicle. The problem generally shows itself after driving for some time, but I have seen it come up after the vehicle has been powered for under 5 minutes.

As power-cycling the vehicle rectifies the issue albeit temporarily, I am assuming that an actual touchscreen hardware sensing grid failure is unlikely, but I can imagine for example that there might be bad controller RAM or similar.

Has anyone experienced this and/or know a remedy? If it was to happen once in a blue moon I wouldn't worry; however I have had this three times in the past 2-3 weeks and would like to address it while the vehicle is under warranty, or at least discover if it's a known issue.

Any observations gratefully received.

--R

·
Registered
191 Posts
The touchscreen in the 2013 Volt is based on a resistive pressure system instead of capacitance like the touch sensitive plastic face. A resistive touchscreen works via pressure. You should be able to use gloves or the eraser end of a pencil to select items for example. Capacitance based touch screen work via Capacitance of course but if your hands are too dry, they won't work reliably or if you're wearing gloves. I'm not sure if the Ampera is similar but if it's the screen that's malfunctioning like that I would say you should check with your dealer. That shouldn't happen.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Since it is intermittent but seems to associate with power cycles, I'm going to take a really wild guess and suggest you look into the 12v system, possibly loose leads or the battery itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments... today it showed a different symptom: on the Climate screen, all the functions appeared to work normally but the only part of the display that updated was the Climate % icon bottom left: all the other values remained the same even though they were not correct.

I am skeptical of the (previously noted) fault being a physical touchscreen failure, as in the fault condition you can touch the screen anywhere when the rogue Time Setting display is showing and you get a click - ie it has registered a touch - but nothing happens; and if there was a physical touchscreen grid failure you would not expect power cycling to fix it.

Not sure what type of touchscreen this unit has but it's easy to identify as you say.

The idea of the 12v battery being the issue is interesting. Obviously I can measure its voltage and investigate further. My money is currently on an aspect of the touchscreen device controller, perhaps bad RAM or logic, but the 12v battery is easy enough to check.

Thanks for the helpful comments, guys.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Change out the 12 Volt battery with an identical unit. Go to a Vauxhall dealer and get a GM authorized unit installed. That way, no finger pointing if the issue continues after battery swap because Vauxhall asserts that the battery swap is done by 'am inexperienced person' with WRONG battery type for the car. I think that will solve the issue.

I know car batteries (the 12 volt ones) usually last longer, but this is not a car, it is a 3500 pound computer that goes 100 mph. It is different and so is the use of the 12 volt. An opinion on my part, but the weak screens are usually a subtle reminder by the car to the driver that something is electrically wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts