GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To follow up to another forum member's offering of dashcam footage for a hit and run, something interesting, non-automotive just happened to me.

A FedEx truck pulled up and handed me a 50 inch 4K display. I did not order it, but the display was addressed to me with my address on it. Looking up the shipping label the PO matches a hard drive enclosure that I purchased and received 2 weeks ago. The label says 1.1 pounds which is right for the original item, definitely not for this TV. All the credit card charges from this vendor are for items I ordered and received.

My first gut response is to send it back, then my second thought was to see how long, if ever, this company figures out they sent me the wrong item. Will Karma strike me down for keeping this?

PS: I don't own an HDTV, though I have an old picture tube TV in the basement for just in case I want to pull out an ancient Sega Genesis or plug in my old Apple ][ to a color TV using an RF Modulator. I have another picture tube in the garage where my son jettisoned his tv.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Wow.
So just as an FYI, most companies like FedEx, and UPS, have a policy that if it was addressed to you, and they deliver it to the location as addressed... that's it, it's yours.

Having said that, I personally would at least make a "best effort" to let the company know that there might have been a mistake.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I don't think they will ever "figure out" they sent it to you. They will just have an inventory count that is short one TV with no explanation.

I wouldn't call this a moral dilemma. It seems pretty clear that the right thing is to let them know about their mistake. I don't see another side to it, except that you could most likely "get away" with it if you wanted. But I'd bet you probably already have all the TVs you need/want anyway.

Hopefully there is not some hard working family guy getting interrogated over the TV, under suspicion of stealing it.

These kinds of mistakes are not uncommon, but are usually in the form of sending duplicates of inexpensive items. Things that would cost as much to ship back as they are worth. In those cases, I would probably just forget about it. But this sounds significantly more valuable than that.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
If you were in line at the grocery store and the elderly woman in front of you dropped a $100 bill, would you pick it up and then (1) put it in your pocket or (2) give it back to her? Same question really.

Call and tell them. If they can't find a record of sending the TV then you can keep it with a clear conscience. If they want it back then have them pick it up.

I've had this happen a few times with Amazon. A couple of times they had no record so I just gave the item to Goodwill. It's impossible to even send back since there isn't an order to use to generate an RMA. Once they had no record and I was going to do the same until a friend of our next door neighbor's daughter showed up and asked if I had a package. Worked great. I got rid of the bikini and she was happy!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Be careful, there is a scam going on that involves just such a situation. It involves having you call a number from the package, not directly to the vendor that sent the shipment. When you arrange to have it picked up, it goes to the scam artist that sent it to you. I don't remember all of the details, but when you call about it, make sure you know you are calling the vendor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had something very similar happen to me a couple of years ago. You contact the given number and then they say something like, "Can you please forward it to this address? We will offer you a free gift of $100 credit for your trouble ande will pay for shipping." When I attempted to claim my $100 credit gift, the vendor disclaimed any transaction and said they don't work like that. Turns out the TV was stolen out of the vendors warehouse! You act as a sort of laundering middle man.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I would make a reasonable effort to let them know--exercising the cautions listed here.

A couple years ago, I ordered ONE mp3 player from a big electronics retailer, and they mistakenly sent me TWO (but only charged me for one). I went into the store and tried to return one, but they didn't even have a record of it being missing. Instead, they accepted a return of item I paid for and let me keep the other one. Crazy huh?

You never know how your good deed will turn out in the end...

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<snip> But I'd bet you probably already have all the TVs you need/want anyway.
I have a grand total of zero HDTVs in my household. I bought the HDTV converters many years ago when the broadcast television signals were changing to digital, then all sorts of crap appeared (reality TV, game show, talent contests) and we turned of all off and never bought a new HDTV. I do have a nice projector, a BluRay player, and an AppleTV though, but the AppleTV is mostly for sharing computer screens when we have a family project (science fairs, working on someone's resume, med school applications, application essays). So I don't have an HDTV, and really don't want one.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
The only dilemma to me is that the OP and others actually consider it's a dilemma. If you didn't order it, it's pretty obvious it isn't yours.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Once they had no record and I was going to do the same until a friend of our next door neighbor's daughter showed up and asked if I had a package. Worked great. I got rid of the bikini and she was happy!
Yeah, I don't think we want to see DonC wearing a bikini. (trying to wipe out all the thoughts of the neighbor's daughter in her swimsuit out of my mind).

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Be careful, there is a scam going on that involves just such a situation. It involves having you call a number from the package, not directly to the vendor that sent the shipment. When you arrange to have it picked up, it goes to the scam artist that sent it to you. I don't remember all of the details, but when you call about it, make sure you know you are calling the vendor.

I had something very similar happen to me a couple of years ago. You contact the given number and then they say something like, "Can you please forward it to this address? We will offer you a free gift of $100 credit for your trouble ande will pay for shipping." When I attempted to claim my $100 credit gift, the vendor disclaimed any transaction and said they don't work like that. Turns out the TV was stolen out of the vendors warehouse! You act as a sort of laundering middle man.

There's no phone number on the package except for mine. So if this is a scam, it's an inside job.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How many free charging whiners have we seen? Same thing.
I'm confused as to why free charging whiners and this are the same.

BTW, I'm in a chat with the vendor right now. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm confused as to why free charging whiners and this are the same.

BTW, I'm in a chat with the vendor right now. We'll see what happens.
Weird: Your agent has been disconnected from the system, you are now being transferred to your original queue. Please stand by... it's as if big brother was watching Hugh F. my original agent and now someone else is going to talk to me. Maybe someone involved with the conspiracy.... this is getting interesting.

Now I'm talking to Harley L. Apparently the previous chat was disconnected due to "internet instability." Thanks to all the previous posts about this possibly being a scam, my radar is on full alert.

Harley L.: Thank you for waiting. I have reviewed your previous chat. In this case, I am going to reach our related support team to have them look into this for you. May I have another moment?

Spidy sense has me thinking this is going up the chain to the kingpin boss of the scam....though the more likely event is that the 1st level support guy Harvey has no idea what to do.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
This is a scam. Be careful who you call based on the shipping label. This scam works in one of two ways.

First, you weren't supposed to be home at the time of delivery and the box would simply have been removed from your porch. This is the preferred method.

Second, you call the number and they give you a shipping address to forward the TV to and you end up the middleman in a shipping company assisted theft plus frequently out the money you spent to ship the TV.

If you call the number and they offer to send you a gift card or anything like that, hang up and call your local police department's non-emergency number. Give them the information, including the number you called.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You have no right to take to what you don't pay for. Not sure why this is a difficult concept.
Got it, I was thinking that free charging whiners were people who were complaining that $2 per hour is too much and it should be free.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
This is a scam. Be careful who you call based on the shipping label. This scam works in one of two ways.

First, you weren't supposed to be home at the time of delivery and the box would simply have been removed from your porch. This is the preferred method.

Second, you call the number and they give you a shipping address to forward the TV to and you end up the middleman in a shipping company assisted theft plus frequently out the money you spent to ship the TV.

If you call the number and they offer to send you a gift card or anything like that, hang up and call your local police department's non-emergency number. Give them the information, including the number you called.
Except the only phone number on the shipping label is mine. I'm in touch with the company that shipped it right now, chatting with an agent through their website, so I'm pretty sure I'm talking to the official company and not some scam artist - unless the scam artists are infiltrated throughout the company's customer support and return departments...we'll see. I've started another post where I'm updating it live as things happen....

1 - 20 of 53 Posts