GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since I bought the Volt I've actually had the time to park the Jeep (1997 Cherokee Sport, 4.0L) and do some TLC work. Tune up, throttle body cleaning, change the fluids/oils/etc from end to end.

One of the things that amazed me was the results of the compression test. The Renex 4.0L six has 254,000 miles on it and has never been rebuilt or cracked open for anything and the readings were...
So basically... like new :)

Also, because a friend of a friend just opened his speed shop not too long ago he offered to let me throw the Jeep on the Dyno to see how it was "feeling". A stock Jeep, fresh from the factory is supposed to have 190 HP. After a couple of test runs the moment of truth was.....
172 HP!
So right around 91% of original!!! Yippee!

The speed shop guy did tell me that I really should crack open my transfer case and check the chain inside, he thinks I have a lot of slop in it and I probably need a rebuild, but hey that's pretty damned good for a 20 year old high mileage vehicle I think. :)

Annoyingly, my ice cold A/C stopped working on the way home from the dyno test. Geez, it's always something (LOL)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just goes to show you how perfected the ICE technology is. I don't think the Volt would be viable if they had to perfect the ICE technology as well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The biggest benefit for long ICE life has been use of synthetic oil. Now nearly every engine made can go "forever"....
Oh, almost forgot... unleaded gas and hardened valve seats get half the credit.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well for the Jeep, it's never had synthetic, but I will agree about unleaded gas and hardened valve seats.

I've used this vehicle pretty hard and broken a fair number of drivetrain parts (mostly u-joints and one rear axle half)
But overall it's just been solid, regular, maintenance and replacing the handfull of OEM components that failed
  • Alternator at 200k and some change
  • Fuel pump at 150k
  • I did have a string of water pumps (5) for whatever reason, fortunately most of them were warranty replacements.
  • Oh and mufflers... I've gone through a LOT of mufflers <grin>.
I guess my real point is that even if a vehicle isn't super efficient, durability has an environmental quality as well.

Now if my Volt holds up this well I'm going to be a pretty happy guy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts