GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toshiba put out an press release for updated SBIC batteries with titanium niobium oxide anode.

Double density, works in cold, triple charging speed and long life.

"Rigorous testing of a 50Ah prototype of the new battery has confirmed that it retains the long life cycle, low-temperature operation, excellent safety and rapid recharging characteristics of the current SCiBTM. The energy density by volume of battery is twice that of the current SCiBTM. The next-generation SCiBTM maintains over 90% of its initial capacity after being put through 5,000 charge/discharge cycles, and ultra-rapid recharging can be done in cold conditions, with temperatures as low as minus 10°C, in only ten minutes."

To be out in the wilds on 2019.

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2017_10/pr0301.htm

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
What? No negatives about this technology??? lol

Taken at face value, I hope that Toshiba can mass-produce them and that auto manufacturers will buy them.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Yes, it's amazing how many miracle battery technologies there are, but they never make it to consumer products. Maybe they all cost too much to produce (if they even work).

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
2019? I refer now to this thread from 2009 announcing that this battery tech had five automakers lined up to use the batteries. A thread so old that the original source link doesn't work anymore. A thread so old that Oldsmobile may have been one of the automakers. ALMOST old enough to have had Saturn been one of the announced automakers.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
2019? I refer now to this thread from 2009 announcing that this battery tech had five automakers lined up to use the batteries. A thread so old that the original source link doesn't work anymore. A thread so old that Oldsmobile may have been one of the automakers. ALMOST old enough to have had Saturn been one of the announced automakers.
So, Toshiba has been manufacturing this battery since 2008...hummmmm...and the car companies haven't used them....hummmm...am I experiencing a Twilight Zone moment??? lol

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
As an aside: Oldsmobile died in 2004. A late uncle of mine purchased a new 2004 Alero just a few days after Olds was officially closed down. Some of the paperwork he signed is interesting, citing the fact that Olds was no more. As a result, he got a major deal on it - llninja would be proud. It is now my daughters ride, and has been a pretty good car.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
SCiB in current automotive use: Automotive applications of SCiB™

They don't hide that the generation 1 is from 2008.

Toshiba launched the SCiB as a safe, long-life, fast charging lithium-ion battery in 2008. Since then, the company has constantly refined the technology and improved real-world performance. For its next-generation SCiB, Toshiba has developed a titanium niobium oxide anode material that has double the lithium storage capacity by volume of the graphite-based anodes generally used in lithium-ion batteries.
..... so it's not the same battery tech.

I don't buy in easily either but I'll go with fingers crossed here as we know we need a major battery breakthrough for the proposed new line of GM CUVs.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What? No negatives about this technology??? lol

Taken at face value, I hope that Toshiba can mass-produce them and that auto manufacturers will buy them.
The current Toshiba SCiB batteries are pretty good and can put out 202Wh/L and 96Wh/kg. If they really can be doubled with the new tech it will mean numbers around 400Wh/L and 190Wh/kg.

Now if we compare to the battery in Volt (Gen1: 118Wh/l and 87Wh/kg / Gen2: 119Wh/l and 101Wh/kg) we can see that the current one is in par with capacity and is technically better than Volt's battery. The upgraded model would do twice what the Volt battery can.

Now the question of why these are mainly used in large transports or race cars is.. price.

Volt battery costs like a 5,000$, but as LTO it would cost around 25,000$. Even with the upgraded SCiB the price of Volt would rise by 7500$ with same range (could be converted to air cooled, which might lower this). Now the question is if the 6 minute quick charge ability, bigger SOC window, three fold battery cycles, no "Battery Too Cold, Plug In To Warm" and safest chemistry are worth the 7500$ price hike. It definitely has not been the case with existing LTO tech.

The upgrade is significant in bringing this tech as price competitive alternative.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Oh forgot.

Tesla seems to be at 250Wh/kg* and up to 800Wh/L with their lower cycle life cells. They can get away with the charging cycle limits due to a lot bigger battery requiring less charging cycles (around 93% capacity at 300 charges). Normal people wont be driving a Tesla over 200,000 miles anyway.

A bus on the other hand can see several million miles on it's lifetime and in there the capacity loss difference between NCA and LTO is significant. So this tech is either for smaller battery, superfast charging or long lifetime.

* = Most likely the actual cell only, omitting all the cooling and structural components.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts