GM Volt Forum banner

Torque, MyGreenVolt, and Bluetooth OBDII dongles

28523 47
Torque, MyGreenVolt, and a Bluetooth OBDII dongle

Holy cow, I finally went down that rabbit hole.

A good overview on Torque can be found in this video [link] and a follow up in this video [another link]

MyGreenVolt is similar, but with fields specific to Volt and EV performance.

As a scientific geek I've been having an absolute ball taking the whole system from car to car and watching how things run.

As for the Volt, it's really astounding (and somewhat intimidating) to realize just how much the car is doing ALL THE TIME.

Edit: and the "Track Recorder" plug in is especially cool! [shown at 7:00 in video one above]
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I just purchased an ELM327 dongle from Princess Auto here in southern Ontario. Time to jump in on this stuff. I am also trying to obtain the config file. I also am trying to figure out the whole PID part of it as well so I am searching around for the latest spreadsheet that was created some time ago. There seem to be lots of threads on this so I am trying to determine which one is which.

What also is interesting is that I once belonged to a photography club in the city where I live and one of the guys in the club was in the business of "designing and selling of a chip for automotive diagnostics". This was a few years ago but I am now thinking that this fellow club member is actually the one who created and markets the ELM327 chip. I looked up the address of ELM Electronics and it is not very far from where I live in the same city. It all kind of makes sense now that this fellow club member is the one who started the ELM327 product.

I may try to reach out to him and see if I can get any good information and report back. It has been a number of years.

·
Super Moderator
6,256 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Question for all you Torque users out there... I thought that a "always connected" OBD2 dongle sometimes causes issues severe enough to need a dealership trip to reset things. Are you all just risking this or are some dongles known to be "good" and some "bad"?
I found out the hard way that leaving the bluetooth dongle plugged in all the time WILL discharge the 12V battery deeply enough to damage the battery.

TLDR ----------

Background: after six(?) years, the original battery failed few months ago, after generating a slew of "random" error messages. The battery was replaced, and the car has been operating without issue, until...

This week: My car failed on the freeway, generating three error messages on the dash, reducing propulsion power, and the speedo freezing at 75MPH (but not keeping up with traffic), then reading 0 as I left the freeway (definitely not stopped). The dealer found the 12V battery to have failed, and replaced it and cleared 27 DTCs all over the car.

Since the start of the pandemic lockdown, I've been going to the office Mon, Wed, and Fri. For the last couple weeks, I've been tending to charge the car the evenings before, and charge at work. When I return home, the battery SOC is about 45%. I leave the car in this low state of charge unless I know I'll be driving more than a couple miles. This routine has been working well.

I've also been leaving the dongle plugged in and running while the car remains unplugged. The OBD-II socket is continuously powered (there doesn't seem to be switched 12V in the socket).

I believe the dongle severely discharged the 12V battery, eventually damaging it, and generating error codes as a result.

·
Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,244 Posts
41 - 48 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.