GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Torque, MyGreenVolt, and a Bluetooth OBDII dongle

Holy cow, I finally went down that rabbit hole.

A good overview on Torque can be found in this video [link] and a follow up in this video [another link]

MyGreenVolt is similar, but with fields specific to Volt and EV performance.

As a scientific geek I've been having an absolute ball taking the whole system from car to car and watching how things run.

As for the Volt, it's really astounding (and somewhat intimidating) to realize just how much the car is doing ALL THE TIME.

Edit: and the "Track Recorder" plug in is especially cool! [shown at 7:00 in video one above]

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I spent WAY too much time this weekend setting this up! My wife was saying something about "obsession?"
LOL

Anyway.....
I spent quite a bit of time learning and understanding Torque and finally came up with this configuration for my phone....

Screen #1, Pretty much the stock "Performance Testing" screen from the default setup.

Screen #2, First part of the "Trip Computer".

Screen #3, Second part of the "Trip Computer".

Screen #4 Monitoring the EV systems, especially traction motor activity.

Screen #5 Monitoring the REX/Generator.

Screen #6 Temperature sensors.

·
Registered
677 Posts
If you were willing to share your setup file, that would be great! Nice job!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow! That's great, Dutch. I'll order the dongle right now. I note that the 2016 video you referenced says that one SHOULD NOT INSTALL THE SOFTWARE THAT COMES WITH THE DONGLE, because it is known to contain viruses.

However, I have a question: the Volt has two OBD2 receptacles, and I thought the one on the passenger side had the data on the traction battery, etc. Did you plug in the dongle on the driver side? Or does one need two dongles?

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Wow! That's great, Dutch. I'll order the dongle right now. I note that the 2016 video you referenced says that one SHOULD NOT INSTALL THE SOFTWARE THAT COMES WITH THE DONGLE, because it is known to contain viruses.

However, I have a question: the Volt has two OBD2 receptacles, and I thought the one on the passenger side had the data on the traction battery, etc. Did you plug in the dongle on the driver side? Or does one need two dongles?
I don't think the software that comes with the ODBII adapters contains malware. It is, however, 100% useless.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

One Dongle, inserted in the driver's side footwell area.
It was "plug and play" for the OBDII transceiver, I have no idea what the software on the CD is supposed to accomplish.

NOTE: The transceiver lights up when it's plugged in...but it's not active. The car has to be ON for the transceiver to be running so you can pair it. I think a lot of the issues people have had are due to seeing the light and thinking "okay it's ready to go".

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
passenger side ODBII contains some overlapped and some different information. Specifically, the data about the charge rates on the individual cell modules and their various states. NotAHoser was looking at that stuff. But unless you're gonna be sitting there in the car while it's charging, it's less important than the stuff on the driver side.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Question for all you Torque users out there... I thought that a "always connected" OBD2 dongle sometimes causes issues severe enough to need a dealership trip to reset things. Are you all just risking this or are some dongles known to be "good" and some "bad"?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Question for all you Torque users out there... I thought that a "always connected" OBD2 dongle sometimes causes issues severe enough to need a dealership trip to reset things. Are you all just risking this or are some dongles known to be "good" and some "bad"?
My hypothesis has been that it is solely related to the rate of data polling, not the device.
If you use the slowest mode, you should not have any issue.
My older dongle (2008?) only runs in slow mode and has never caused an issue.

Also don't pull a ton of PIDs. Only the bare minimum that you need. Want to avoid flooding the system.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The ELM 327 (mini) bluetooth dongle that I ordered on Monday from Amazon following the link that Dutch provided has just arrived, and it doesn't work. I think I made the mistake of ordering the "enhanced" version for $10.99 instead of the plain vanilla $8.99 version.

When I plug the dongle into the OBD2 port on the driver side, it momentarily shows red and green lights, but then the green light disappears, and I don't see it on my Samsung tablet's bluetooth control screen. It doesn't seem to matter if the Volt is off or running when I do the plug-in. Same result either way.

Question: What lights are supposed to show on the dongle when things are working properly? Is the green one supposed to be on?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The ELM 327 (mini) bluetooth dongle that I ordered on Monday from Amazon following the link that Dutch provided has just arrived, and it doesn't work. I think I made the mistake of ordering the "enhanced" version for $10.99 instead of the plain vanilla $8.99 version.

When I plug the dongle into the OBD2 port on the driver side, it momentarily shows red and green lights, but then the green light disappears, and I don't see it on my Samsung tablet's bluetooth control screen. It doesn't seem to matter if the Volt is off or running when I do the plug-in. Same result either way.

Question: What lights are supposed to show on the dongle when things are working properly? Is the green one supposed to be on?

When I plug mine in it briefly shows a red and a green LED. Then the green one goes out and just the red one stays on.

The process I followed for the initial connection is this;
1) Plug in the OBD II module
2) Turn on the Volt
3) Set my phone (Samsung S7) to scan for bluetooth items.
4) Acknowledge the OBD II Module and then enter the passkey (Mine was 1234, I think they all are)
At that point my phone beeped and I was ready to tell Torque to use the bluetooth.

One the module and my phone had been set up I moved the setup to my 03 mazda and my 97 Jeep without issue.

I also paired the module to a friend's tablet (Samsung) while plugged into his 2016 Jeep. That time the bluetooth timed out, but when we turned bluetooth off (on the tablet) and turned it back on, it paired and everything worked fine.

I accidentally ordered two of them (or two showed up regardless) and they both work fine for me.
I wonder if you just got a dud.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did either of you buy the "Enhanced" version for $10.99? That's the one I bought, and I suspect it was "enhanced" right out of functionality.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Update: Today I got the dongle to work, which involved massaging the BlueTooth handler of my Samsung tablet more than I had done yesterday and being patient while it's scanning. Torque Pro now works great.

I uploaded Dutch's dashboard layout, and that works too. However, it is intended for the small-ish screen of a phone, and on my tablet there are small number boxes with huge amounts of white space in between. I'm learning to use the Torque editor to lay out the display space better.

Therefore, there is no apparent problem with the "enhanced" version of the ELM 327 dongle. It seems to work fine.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: Today I got the dongle to work, which involved massaging the BlueTooth handler of my Samsung tablet more than I had done yesterday and being patient while it's scanning. Torque Pro now works great.
Glad you got it working.

I uploaded Dutch's dashboard layout, and that works too. However, it is intended for the small-ish screen of a phone, and on my tablet there are small number boxes with huge amounts of white space in between. I'm learning to use the Torque editor to lay out the display space better.
Yeah I set it up for a Samsung Galaxy 7 phone.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
UPDATE: one "gauge" is totally wrong

UPDATE: one "gauge" is totally wrong

The Screen 6 gauge for Electronics Temperature is just plain wrong (at least on my car).
It starts at 86 degrees and just stays there like a rock.

I simply do not know enough, nor do I have the time to correct the PID but I thought I'd let others know that one is in error.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I did the experiment of plugging the ELM 327 dongle into the OBD2 CAN-bus socket on the passenger (right) side of my 2015 Volt to see if some of the unresponsive PID codes that Torque registers as "No data received" would become available. The ELM dongle powers up as before with a green LED flash and a red LED that stays on. My Samsung tablet's bluetooth pairs with it OK, too, after that. Then I turn the Volt drive on and start Torque Plus. When Torque Plus is initializing, all the startup icons along the top edge come on OK and stop flashing except the one that looks like a little car. That one continued to flash for ten minutes. I presume that this means that there is some some needed handshaking that the CAN-bus socket on the right does not supply.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts