GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 38 Posts

· Registered
753 Posts
With the bikes low like that, what % mileage loss do you see?

I considered the stealth hitch, but with the bike rack installed, I could picture the bottom of the rack tongue extension hitting the pavement when making a sudden transition on a short steep driveway. That looks that is a possibility from your photos. I did get the invisi-hitch and use a Yakima rack. Yes, there is significant aero drag with the bikes hanging high. CD range goes from 40 miles down to about 26 when driving at 65 mph. I'm taking the rack to welding shop to have them cut off about 15" off the rack vertical post to get the bikes back down behind the car. I may take the (bike) wheels off, too, on long trips. They add a lot of drag by themselves.
Interesting CD range data there. Amazing what a bike can do to drag, or maybe even more amazing is how well the VOLT goes through the wind on it's own.

If you do get the bikes lowered can you post similar observations on your CD EV range? As that would be some helpful advice to help fine tune the hitch design/style that other owners may base their decision on? Thanks for the input.

· Registered
753 Posts
Mike McG, nice setup there and great pictures too. I am considering a hitch for bike use as well on mine. I have one picture request if possible and that is can you take one in the side view lower with rear tire/fascia/bike rack in view (like only a few inches off the ground) so I can tell what the clearance and angles might be for the bike rack installed relative to the ground? I appreciate that the hitch has cleared ramp angles I just was curious as to how the rack might affect the approach angles as well.

· Registered
753 Posts
Mike McG, thanks for the added pictures! It appears as though the rack follows the angle clearance of the hitch alone pretty closely. This may be a better solution than I was originally thinking.

· Registered
753 Posts
Thanks for the data, a 5 mile loss carrying two bikes is not bad for driving 65mph. I think much of my use would be at lower speeds than that (other than on a trip). So I much appreciated the data points. The low hitch seems to be a good solution as to how best to carry bikes for energy efficiency, besides to be able to take the rack on and off is an easy thing to do as well.

1 - 4 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.