GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
He said it live at the reveal... "It survives a nuclear explosion... or you get a full refund", after which he (and the audience) chuckled. Hint: that's what is called an obvious joke. He was demonstrating how the windshield is the strongest ever put in a semi (they showed impact tests, seems legit) and he made an obvsiously hyperbolic comment. But don't let the facts get in the way of your hatin'...

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
If you consider the Grapevine at 80,000lb to be a nuclear attack on the driveline, or 500,000 miles with no driveline issues, then it will need to be NBC armored (nuke/bio/chem).

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you consider the Grapevine at 80,000lb to be a nuclear attack on the driveline, or 500,000 miles with no driveline issues, then it will need to be NBC armored (nuke/bio/chem).
If it's got the same cabin filter as the X then it's covered. :D

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Yes, people missed the sarcasm, and the obvious point that even if he did guarantee it formally, the risk of it needing to is essentially zero, so insurance for that would be quite low.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, people missed the sarcasm, and the obvious point that even if he did guarantee it formally, the risk of it needing to is essentially zero, so insurance for that would be quite low.
LOL, as if......

It was a claim about windshield strength. Nothing more.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
LOL, as if......

It was a claim about windshield strength. Nothing more.
I know, I am missong your point now, what was the LOL in regard to?

Watching the presentation it was obviously a joke.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know, I am missong your point now, what was the LOL in regard to?

Watching the presentation it was obviously a joke.
The idea of filing a claim after a nuclear blast is pretty funny.

If it isn't glaringly obvious that the whole subject is a joke........ well............

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I love his "showmanship". EM is the PT Barnum of the automotive world. Embrace it. He's not going anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
6,279 Posts
"Survives nuclear explosion OR you get a FULL refund" /sarcasm joke

Are windshields a big problem for semi-trucks? What's his point? Even as a joke, I don't think I get it.
Yes! It was mentioned in the presentation and then on various articles and videos of real world truckers that I've seen since then. If semi-truck windshields get chips or cracks there are regulations about getting them fixed before continuing to drive that truck. Imagine if you were in rural areas and you got a crack then there is the downtime and waittime to get a new one and have it installed.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has specific regulations on windshields, windows and equipment that affect a driver’s view of the roadside and surrounding environment. Due to the size and position of truck windshields and windows, violations are easy to spot by law enforcement officers and this unwanted attention could easily trigger a roadside inspection.
<snip>
A crack or discoloration in the windshield area lying within the sweep of the wiper on the driver side is an out of service condition.
Tesla Armor Glass

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's raining trailer hitches! :D

Seriously though.... a few things.

No doubt truckers get windshield chips/cracks.

This could easily be a phony demonstration. It would be easy to find glass that's overly prone, or just make your own.

The angle of the impact matters. This is a lesson learned by tank designers in WWII. Nuclear blast warranty? A windshield warranty that covers real world incidents (which may be the case) has meaning.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
"Survives nuclear explosion OR you get a FULL refund" /sarcasm joke

Yes! It was mentioned in the presentation and then on various articles and videos of real world truckers that I've seen since then. If semi-truck windshields get chips or cracks there are regulations about getting them fixed before continuing to drive that truck. Imagine if you were in rural areas and you got a crack then there is the downtime and waittime to get a new one and have it installed.

Tesla Armor Glass

How frequently does that occur? I bet passenger cars are more vulnerable and it's not like I have to replace a windshield several times a year...

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How frequently does that occur? I bet passenger cars are more vulnerable and it's not like I have to replace a windshield several times a year...
Truckers spend way more hours on the road. That doesn't answer your question, sorry, but hopefully it adds perspective.

You're right though - truck windshields are thicker.

Why is caring for big rig windshields different from regular cars?

It’s not all that different actually. There are actually pretty similar.

Drivers are trained to not follow other big rigs so that they dont get hit by the flying rocks on low-quality roads and highways.
Your windshield chips and cracks in a big rig are nearly the same as well, just bigger
Drivers are also trained to park in safer areas, far away from potential hazards or vandals.
One of the major differences though, is the type of commercial insurance you have to carry. Most commercial vehicles must be in great shape to be drive, and most insurance companies have it written in their business vehicle insurance policies that the windshield in a commercial vehicle cannot be cracked or chipped.

How much does replacing big rig windshields compare to replacing car windshields?

Replacing big rig windshields cost more because stronger windshields are built for cargo vans, buses, semi truck and other types of larger commercial vehicles.

Although, if you only have a crack or chip in your big rig windshield, you might be in luck. Fixing cracks and chips is the same process for any type of vehicle, especially if the cracks and chips are nearly the same size.
Windshield Care For Big Rigs

I found this interesting:

So if reducing drag is so important, why don’t trucks have tilted windshields like cars?

Surely it’s important they move through the air efficiently too. This is true, but it’s more important that truck drivers have a clear view when they are behind the wheel of a big rig. Angled (and curved) glass creates visual distortion, which truck makers want to avoid.
Why are Some Vehicle Windshields Vertical While Others are Tilted?

Tesla semi: -1. Thinking like a car maker. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
EVs are the most likely to be permanent disabled by an EMP effect than any other vehicle
'The most likely' ?

Name any modern car that does not have data buses and microprocessors front to rear?
Only 'Points and Coil' cars will be on the road after an EMP.
And only the old-fashion/non-solid state voltage regulators will survey for sure!

That's why you want a '48 Crosley Station Wagon setting in the garage.:p

Or a cave garage with a nice grounded metal door!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
'The most likely' ?

Name any modern car that does not have data buses and microprocessors front to rear?
Only 'Points and Coil' cars will be on the road after an EMP.
And only the old-fashion/non-solid state voltage regulators will survey for sure!

That's why you want a '48 Crosley Station Wagon setting in the garage.:p

Or a cave garage with a nice grounded metal door!
If that coil even survives. Air-start Detroit Diesel will probably run, although the accessory alternator will probably be trash.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Truckers spend way more hours on the road. That doesn't answer your question, sorry, but hopefully it adds perspective.

You're right though - truck windshields are thicker.
More hours per year, sure. But I've had several vehicles go 100k miles or more without needing a windshield replacement. Being generally higher off the ground I'd think they're less vulnerable to debris kicked up from the road.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts