GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He's driven over 13,000 miles on less than one gallon... Is this actually possible? He must be tricking the fuel maintenance burn? Pole position on Voltstats below....

http://www.voltstats.net/

MrEnergyCzar

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Well it only burns off half.. maybe he got the dealer to not fill it.. if you start with 2 gallons burning half is 1 gallon.

While one can play trick to keep the "miles per tank" and miles without using gas (by doing EMM while parked), I think the actual MPG is updated no mater how you burn the gas as its driven by the overall MPG.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
My MPG went down when I did my EMMs. I think there may be something goofy with his numbers. You are referring to "CT GM-Volt" on voltstats. When I first joined, I believe he was around 7000mpg. Then all of a sudden, he dropped off and went to 250mpg, then after a week or so, came back at 15000mpg.

I am currently number 3 on voltstats MPG, so I have been paying attention to who is ahead of me.

There were some really crazy MPGe numbers (~200MPGe) that Mike Rosack must have been able to clean up since these numbers have also disappeared.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
better watch out for those close behind you @ 11 :)

"No-- We can't go on this years summer trip to Big Bend tell we hit 10"

·
Registered
923 Posts
I tend to think his numbers are not right.............and if so, I would have to question what service he has had done on his Volt.
Hopefully, this is isolated case.

For example, I think CS mpg is way too high for gas used...........compare to others that are down in 1 digit mpg.
He's only gone less than 3,000 miles on tank of gas (achievement).......compare to other, like 12 VOLT

Be good if he would weigh in here and let us know what 'service' might have been done on his Volt.

·
Registered
923 Posts
better watch out for those close behind you @ 11 :)

"No-- We can't go on this years summer trip to Big Bend tell we hit 10"

Can't believe you guys change your lifestyle because of the Volt...........maybe yur just jokin';

The whole purpose of the Volt is to give us an EV 'beneficial' driving experience but be multi-purpose when needed..........man, I would have to endure Canadian winters if I thought like that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
ME: I tell people that my lifetime MPG is 60.
PEOPLE:They all say that is great.
ME: That mileage is horrible. I then tell them about the 1500 people with a Volt on Voltstats and that I'm 40 from the bottom.

Best car that I ever owned.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
He's driven over 13,000 miles on less than one gallon... Is this actually possible? He must be tricking the fuel maintenance burn? Pole position on Voltstats below....

http://www.voltstats.net/

MrEnergyCzar
I agree with Dennis that his numbers are strange as I have been paying close attention as well, I am currently #5. To answer the question if it is possible, absolutely. My last 9000 miles which is since February, I have use 0.2 gallons. I have had 4 EMM in a row.

·
Registered
923 Posts
ME: That mileage is horrible. I then tell them about the 1500 people with a Volt on Voltstats and that I'm 40 from the bottom.

Hey, when I look in the mirror, I see you..........that is 'scarey' stuff.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I agree with Dennis that his numbers are strange as I have been paying close attention as well, I am currently #5. To answer the question if it is possible, absolutely. My last 9000 miles which is since February, I have use 0.2 gallons. I have had 4 EMM in a row.

A true 'hall of famer' at 13776 miles on a tank of gas.......good stuff.

You need to travel and see the rest of the continent once in a while........lol.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Sucks that ain't nuthin, every pure BEV (like one of them there Leaves) uses no, none, nada gasoline. Yup it's possible.

VIN # B0985
Not really, most of the pure BEV dirvers are using what some of us call a through-the-garage hybrid model. They take their other ICE car when they need to go far. For me, if I had a Leaf instead of a volt I would have used 25 more Gallons of gas, because those longer trips would have used my wife's CUV at 28MPG. Now if that other car is a Prius, then I'll grant you they are doing better. Or if they own a Roadster they may be pur BEV (but the only people I known with them use still use ICEs as well, often for room).

·
Registered
923 Posts
Not really, most of the pure BEV dirvers are using what some of us call a through-the-garage hybrid model. They take their other ICE car when they need to go far. For me, if I had a Leaf instead of a volt I would have used 25 more Gallons of gas, because those longer trips would have used my wife's CUV at 28MPG. Now if that other car is a Prius, then I'll grant you they are doing better. Or if they own a Roadster they may be pur BEV (but the only people I known with them use still use ICEs as well, often for room).

Reason we bought a Volt..................could get away with ONE vehicle if we had to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I fully intend on using my Volt as an EV about 95% of the time... any longer trips, say 200 miles or more, we take my wife's Prius... not only due to the better highway MPG, but also for the increased cargo capacity over the Volt.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Well, quite a few here have talked about "gaming" the numbers, so you have to assume it's going on, reprehensible as it is - it makes voltstats information worth less than it could be. I myself refuse to play in most games where the other players are self-acknowledged cheaters.

I'm only about 80% pure electric (solar, though) because I don't wince when it comes to running the engine a little. I want to break the doggone thing in anyway and change the oil - then maybe I'll worry more. From October last through the middle of January, I was nearly all gasoline since I didn't have the solar to spare to charge it worth a darn. So my lifetime mileage is around 85 (still not that bad) but on the trip meter since January? Right at 180 mpg, and that's using MM on purpose when I have a huge hill to climb - even if I have enough battery to do without, basically every time I come home from somewhere - I live most of the way up a mountain, where the towns and cites are all well below me in altitude. I've still burned only about 16 gallons this whole year, including some I had to burn due to the trip being longer than my range - each way, and no charger at the other end. No big deal, for me.

And yes, it's your fleet mileage that really matters - it's what hits you in the wallet (and big oil as well). Using a gas guzzler for long trips to keep your Volt numbers pristine seems pretty silly to me, anyway, and another form of dishonesty. If there were a way, that's what people should report - total MPG for their entire driving, not just the Volt. Then I'd bet the top few on Voltstats would be a lot lower on the list.

I got the Volt as my only car like another here mentioned. I had a Cruze at the time (traded my Camaro in for the Volt), and as soon as I was sure it would do - I sold the Cruze quick as I could too. This thing actually gets somewhat better mileage than the Cruze did, even though it weighs much more!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I tend to think his numbers are not right.............and if so, I would have to question what service he has had done on his Volt.
Hopefully, this is isolated case.

For example, I think CS mpg is way too high for gas used...........compare to others that are down in 1 digit mpg.
He's only gone less than 3,000 miles on tank of gas (achievement).......compare to other, like 12 VOLT

Be good if he would weigh in here and let us know what 'service' might have been done on his Volt.
He may have joined Voltstats later... I went 5,000 miles on my first tank but Voltstats shows less because I joined it later... Who is this mystery driver?

MrEnergyCzar

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I took a look at the MPG history of our "mystery Volt". This Volt joined VoltStats around 04/26/2012. At that time the MPG was close to 6,000. The MPG continued to rise gradually until the end of July where the MPG dropped to 0. The car reappeared on the top of the charts a few days ago with 15,000+ MPG.

I'm wondering if there was some update to the OnStar data that reset the gallons burned or something.

·
Registered
109 Posts

At ~70 MPG I'm currently ranked #1396 out of 1500.

I tell people pretty much the same phrase :) It's fun to see the expression on their faces.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My sentiments exactly. I didn't buy the Volt to win any pissing contests.
Me either. I drive the Volt just as would any other car... just with much better gas mileage :) (so my "horrible" VoltStats.net ranking isn't too much of a surprise to me).

Something of interest to me regarding VoltsStats.net -- Look at mileage of the "worst" 20% of the cars (ignoring 80% of the entries should easily throw out anyone "gaming the system"). So at 1500 entries today, that would start at the Volt ranked #300 from "worst to best".

It has about 97 MPG. I think that's pretty impressive.

Even if attempt to "average" (yes, I do know my math isn't correct, bear with me while I try to make a point) this car with Car #1 (with about 36 MPG) -> (97 + 36) / 2 = 66 MPG Yea, I know I'm not really be fair to the Volt (after all, I threw out 80% of them listed on VoltStats.net), but how many cars get 97 MPG or even 66 MPG?

However you want to look at the Volt's mileage -- for example at either 66 MPG or 97 MPG -- this is a pretty awsome car.

Oh, and the looks, the drive, and the quietness are nice too. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts