GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I think of Low gear ("L"), I think in the traditional sense--a low gear ratio with limited speed.

With the Volt, I like using L for regeneration. I'm becoming addicted. So, is there a top-speed when driving in L, or is it the same top speed I would get if driving in "D"?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't see any limit. I use it all the time, but have not exceeded 75 (in any "gear").

I would have never put that function on the "Gear" shift. It requires unlearning a lifetime of instict to get to use it properly. I would prefer a "Regen" button on the center console if I were the product manager.

·
8,680 Posts
In the Volt, "L" doesn't change anything with gearing - or anything mechanical. The only thing it does is remap the bottom end of the accelerator pedal. As a result, the Volt is fine in L up to the 100 mph speed limiter.

·
8,680 Posts
I don't see any limit. I use it all the time, but have not exceeded 75 (in any "gear").

I would have never put that function on the "Gear" shift. It requires unlearning a lifetime of instict to get to use it properly. I would prefer a "Regen" button on the center console if I were the product manager.
A life time of familiarity and experience is exactly why they did it - L in automatics has been how you got more engine braking to slow the car down descending mountains...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
In the Volt, "L" doesn't change anything with gearing - or anything mechanical. The only thing it does is remap the bottom end of the accelerator pedal. As a result, the Volt is fine in L up to the 100 mph speed limiter.
Yup. I haven't had mine up to 100, but 95 mph several times.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I hit a 100 in L and then the car "grabs" you and prevents you from going faster....a warning pops us that says "speed limited to 101" or something about 101, hard to read at that speed....

MrEnergyCzar

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I hit the limiter in mine in L. A message is shown on the dash to the effect of "Speed Limit is set to 162 km/h"

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
There is however a schism regarding L

One breakaway group holds tha smaller generator motor engages thus increasing braking torque.
The other mainstream belief is that it is simply an increase in armature current thereby increasing back emf in the main motor.

I have searched the writings and utterances of the chief global engineer Pamela Fletcher (pbup) to no avail. However, she has
proclaimed that the the second motor engages around 30mph causing the RPM of the main motor to drop. My own belief involves dilithium crystals.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Clearly...its the red onstar button.

·
8,680 Posts
There is however a schism regarding L

One breakaway group holds tha smaller generator motor engages thus increasing braking torque.
The other mainstream belief is that it is simply an increase in armature current thereby increasing back emf in the main motor.

I have searched the writings and utterances of the chief global engineer Pamela Fletcher (pbup) to no avail. However, she has
proclaimed that the the second motor engages around 30mph causing the RPM of the main motor to drop. My own belief involves dilithium crystals.
I hope you're joking about the schism... :)

If you use DashDAQ or an OBDII scanner, there's no question that it's entirely electronic - actually, the car is usually in two motor (i.e. smaller motor generator engaged,) at freeway speeds in normal driving, but if you let completely off of the pedal in L, the car will go back into single motor (the smaller motor disengaged) to produce higher deceleration/regeneration levels.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Bolians are clearly involved in this conspiracy to understand who is the real limiter....MG1...or MG2...

·
8,680 Posts
Bolians are clearly involved in this conspiracy to understand who is the real limiter....MG1...or MG2...
Well, since those are Prius parts, neither. ;) :p MG A or MG B, on the other hand...

MG A is weaker and has adverse gearing. MG B has more power and mechanical advantage (71/29 gear ratio in its favor.) This shouldn't be hard to figure out...

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
88MPH and then I blanked out. Why are all the girls wearing poodle-skirts?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts