GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Some people may think these are an oxymoron. I think this is great:
1) As we know, improving the MPG of the least efficient vehicles saves more gas.
2) Showcasing plug in hybrid technology, will coax those lusting after these to learn more about the tech, how it works
3) Prove the performance of the technology, making it not just the green choice, but the driver's choice.
4) some people have to have the sound of dino powered engine. I find myself missing it once in a while. These cars will let people have that when they want it, but still be able to drive electric.

When I watch a movie with an ICE car revving, I wonder what Hollywood will do when the ICE only car is on its way out. electrics don't have that dramatic effect, maybe one day we'll be able to run the motor in neutral? I imagine it would be a nice whirring sound :)

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some people may think these are an oxymoron. I think this is great:
1) As we know, improving the MPG of the least efficient vehicles saves more gas.
2) Showcasing plug in hybrid technology, will coax those lusting after these to learn more about the tech, how it works
3) Prove the performance of the technology, making it not just the green choice, but the driver's choice.
4) some people have to have the sound of dino powered engine. I find myself missing it once in a while. These cars will let people have that when they want it, but still be able to drive electric.

When I watch a movie with an ICE car revving, I wonder what Hollywood will do when the ICE only car is on its way out. electrics don't have that dramatic effect, maybe one day we'll be able to run the motor in neutral? I imagine it would be a nice whirring sound :)
It's amazing that the younger people seem to love how quiet my Volt is but the older people, in general, feel silence is wimpy. A psychological slap in the face so to speak. Cultural shifts can happen quickly once a certain threshold or amount of people prefer one new thing replacing something traditional like the ICE sound or rotary phone etc...

MrEnergyCzar

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
It's amazing that the younger people seem to love how quiet my Volt is but the older people, in general, feel silence is wimpy. A psychological slap in the face so to speak. Cultural shifts can happen quickly once a certain threshold or amount of people prefer one new thing replacing something traditional like the ICE sound or rotary phone etc...

MrEnergyCzar
In my family , it's quite the opposite . My son told me he misses how his old Chevy Impala could be revved at a stoplight to make some impressive noise . I on the other hand am glad there is no more loud noise .

In fact , my pet peeve is the way the motorcycles intentionally make so much noise around here .

One would think cruising around while enjoying a nice quiet ride would be preferred . It's already bad enough getting rained on with a mouth full of bugs and a sore back and behind .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts