GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the my local dealership to see if they could price match Costco on a set of tires....that part of the trip was a complete waste, as they said they couldn't match Costco's price (wtf is the point of advertising a price match policy then??).

But luckily they did happen to have a '16 Volt parked right out front! I strolled into the showroom and found the sales guy I had been exchanging emails with and setup a quick test drive. It was a silver LT with cloth seats and a couple of options. It really does look sharp in person, especially when you can look at it up close.

While I wasn't able to put it through the ringer, I got a pretty good feel for how the new Volt drives. Definitely feels more nimble than my current Volt. I also noticed that the seat height adjustment lever was a lot easier to pump than the one in my Volt. Steering wheel also felt a little thicker, but still nice to the touch. Visibility out the back was a little less due to the elimination of the bottom window, but didn't feel like the view was limited.

While slowly cruising down a side street, I switched to Hold mode, and I couldn't hear the ICE at all! Even after coming to a complete stop, it took a couple of seconds for me to pick out the sound of the engine. Definitely an improvement there. Cruising at highway speeds, you probably wouldn't even be able to tell once it switched over to the ICE.

The regen paddle was cool, though I thought the regen level would be even stronger than what I actually experienced. Still nice to have as a basic feature though.

For you taller people out there (I am 6 feet tall), I positioned the driver's seat at a comfortable setting (not ridiculously far back, not knees up to my chin, but comfortable), then sat in the rear seat. I easily had a couple of inches of leg room to spare. Also, even with the 0.2 inches of reduced headroom, I found that the headroom was pretty much the same as my '12 (head barely grazing the headliner, and I was wearing a hat).

For kicks, I sat in the middle rear seat, and once again confirmed that no one taller than 5'9"/5'10" should sit there unless you are a glutton for punishment. My head was slammed against the headliner, even tilted at an angle. But for little kids and midgets, the middle rear is just fine!

While I am not in the market for a car until early next year when the lease on my C-Max is up, I'll have to consider the '16 (or 17) Volt as an option.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Win Kelley in Clarksville, I was chomping at the bit to test drive a gen 2 and drove the 47 miles one way 2 Saturdays ago and I agree with your review on all points except I didn't try out the back seat but the front headroom was better. Good right up and pictures.

·
Registered
411 Posts
How was the view out the front? Is the A pillar any better?

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any interior shots of the LT?
Sorry, didn't take any shots of the inside. Cloth seats seemed very similar in material to the '15 Sonic loaner I got a month ago, if that helps.

How was the view out the front? Is the A pillar any better?
I didn't really notice too much of a difference in the view. At the least, it didn't seem any worse than my '12.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts