GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Anybody ever had this issue where the heater is stuck on maximum heat while in Mountain Mode even when you set the climate ontrol to to LOW? Here are the details:

EDIT: Auto defrost if OFF.

1. Outside temperature 2 deg. Celsius (34 F). Depleted battery. Climate control set to 21* deg. Celsius (70F) in Eco mode.
2. Change from Normal to Mountain Mode.
3. Heater warms up considerably inside.
4. Lower temperature setting to LOW, set it to Comfort mode for (hopefully) maximum cooling, as the inside heat seems to stay on max. Climate control power less than 10%.
5. Heater still on max, set climate control to Fan only, heat still coming out, even after 10 minutes. Climate control power is still at less than 10%.

I intend to try it again later today, but I wondered if anyone else had this issue.

Thanks!

Michael

2012 red Volt, C-21234, Date of birth: April 24, 2012.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Never experienced this myself.

Maybe could be a malfunctioning cabin temperature sensor? Or a computer glitch?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:

Coming back from work this evening, I put the car in Mountain Mode again. The difference this time is that the battery had reached its minimum charge in this mode, so the ICE was turning on and off. The climate control worked as expected. When the ICE came on, the power use for climate control went down, and then went back up when the ICE cut out.

It seems to act out as described in the first post only when the Volt is trying to build up the minimum charge required for Mountain Mode. Otherwise, the climate control performs as expected.

Michael

2012 red Volt, C-21234, Date of birth: April 24, 2012.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Climate control stops functioning normally when in mountain mode

When my 2012 Volt has less than 15 miles of range remaining and I place it into mountain mode with the A/C cooling , heat will suddenly began to blow out within a couple of minutes of the ICE kicking in.
Cool air will return immediately when I turn the temperature down by at least 5 degrees. Since I can easily correct this, I have lived with it for the past two years.

My car has done this since I purchased it new. I have asked two different Chevy dealers to fix it with no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
887 Posts
Well, when the engine is running, you're going to get a considerable amount of heat out of the system once the engine is warmed up - the Volt still has a heater core like a traditional vehicle. IMHO, the engine heat is more 'thorough' than the electric heat.

If I'm running on battery when it's cold and the car switches the engine on, it gets markedly warmer in the car, even with the HVAC settings the same.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hi All
I have never had this problem with my 2012 and I just took a trip to the Smokie mountains and used the mountain mode a lot. My A/C worked great no hot air.

Thanks
Don

Attachments

·
8,680 Posts
A couple minutes after the engine starts is about the right time for the engine to warm up and start circulating hot engine coolant through the heater core.

At that point, heat is free. Because if that, the car gets more aggressive in responding to the HVAC settings - even in comfort it tries to balance range with comfort in EV.

I've certainly noticed a difference when the engine is warm, but I've never had it run away and deliver lots of heat that isn't called for. If it doesn't cool the air when the temperature is turned down, there's something wrong with your car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

I forgot to post the update: After experiencing the same problem a few more times (including the AC being stuck on full blast), they changed the climate control module last spring, located behind the touch controls below the screen. Essentially, just a chip.

Everything's been running fine since.

Cheers!

Michael

·
Registered
12 Posts
MOUNTAIN MODE NOT TO BE USED FOR ANYTHING BUT HILL CLIMBING:

UPDATE ON MY A/C CLIMATE CONTROL ISSUE WHILE IN MOUNTAIN MODE: Today my Chevy Volt Adviser recommended not using Mountain Mode for anything but as described in the owners manual (steep hill climbing) and was the likely cause for heat pouring into the car when the A/C was on and it's 92 degrees outside. Which means for me "not using Mountain Mode" for flat roadways to regenerate some range. Furthermore, I was advised that my use on flat road ways to regenerate some range could impact any future warranty claim/issue that I might have. I informed him that I had not heard this or read about in the manual before. Has anyone been informed about this before?

·
Registered
364 Posts
UPDATE ON MY A/C CLIMATE CONTROL ISSUE WHILE IN MOUNTAIN MODE: Today my Chevy Volt Adviser recommended not using Mountain Mode for anything but as described in the owners manual (steep hill climbing) and was the likely cause for heat pouring into the car when the A/C was on and it's 92 degrees outside. Which means for me "not using Mountain Mode" for flat roadways to regenerate some range. Furthermore, I was advised that my use on flat road ways to regenerate some range could impact any future warranty claim/issue that I might have. I informed him that I had not heard this or read about in the manual before. Has anyone been informed about this before?
In a word yes, "Kindof". The use of and purpose for MM is explained in the owners manual. And if one is to assume the "gotcha" nature and lattitude as to how warranty claims are evaluated / paid this comes as no suprise.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I'm calling BS on that "advisor". You should not be getting any heat into the cabin with the ICE running unless you want it. Last August I drove 1400 miles on vacation and in Hold mode most of the time. (No chance for a plug in.) I got nice cool air from the AC the entire time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts