GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local dealer called me over the weekend and said that my position in line (I'm #3 of 3) might be up this week if one of the people in front of me bails out - which he thinks is going to happen.

Given that #2 bails and I'm up, I prepared a "just in case" order with the dealer:
  • Color: Crystal Red Tintcoat (GBE)
  • Premium Trim Package (PCQ)
  • Rear Camera and Park Assist Package (PCW)
I'm torn about the audio system, though. There's just no way I'm paying $1,995.00 for the Nav system (that's free on both my Droid and through OnStar), so it's either the stock audio (UZ7, 6 speaker system) or the Bose audio (UQA - 7 speaker low energy + subwoofer). The Bose system is another $495, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Also, the dealer is charging $3000 OVER MSRP, claiming he can get $5000 in a trade.

I'd like the collective opinion on UQA vs UZ7 and how hard I should push back on the "market differential" addon.

Thanks!

Ron C

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
You would have to be nuts to pay over MSRP.

My local dealer called me over the weekend and said that my position in line (I'm #3 of 3) might be up this week if one of the people in front of me bails out - which he thinks is going to happen.

Given that #2 bails and I'm up, I prepared a "just in case" order with the dealer:
  • Color: Crystal Red Tintcoat (GBE)
  • Premium Trim Package (PCQ)
  • Rear Camera and Park Assist Package (PCW)
I'm torn about the audio system, though. There's just no way I'm paying $1,995.00 for the Nav system (that's free on both my Droid and through OnStar), so it's either the stock audio (UZ7, 6 speaker system) or the Bose audio (UQA - 7 speaker low energy + subwoofer). The Bose system is another $495, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Also, the dealer is charging $3000 OVER MSRP, claiming he can get $5000 in a trade.

I'd like the collective opinion on UQA vs UZ7 and how hard I should push back on the "market differential" addon.

Thanks!

Ron C

·
Registered
139 Posts
Bose audio and premium over MSRP

In general, Bose makes superior audio products. I have Bose speakers throughout my house. In the one car I've had with a Bose audio system, you could hear the improvement versus the audios in my other cars. Plus the one for the Volt is supposed to be more energy efficient than the standard install.

When I placed my order, my dealer (Van Chevrolet in Scottsdale, AZ) made a point that he was charging straight MSRP with no "fabric protection package", "desert protection package", etc, etc. That was good since I won't pay more than MSRP for a car--which is why we didn't consider a Prius for many years.

The dealer is entitled to ask whatever he wants for the car. You have to decide whether it's worth the extra money to get one right now versus waiting until they're in more abundant supply 6 months from now.

Dan

·
Registered
476 Posts
In general, Bose makes superior audio products.
I don't know about that. In home audio enthusiast circles at least, most people think Bose products are overpriced, that the company is a triumph of marketing more than actual design, and that better sounding stuff can be obtained for less.

Don't know about car audio though.

I personally wouldn't pay for either the speakers or the markup. But you'd have to have patience to wait out the dealer, or find some other dealer.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Check out all your local Chevy dealers. You shouldn't have to pay more than MSRP. It might be worth $3000 to check with dealers in neighboring states. BTW, Bose audio is OK. It seems to sound better in warm weather (more sub-woofer compliance?).

·
Registered
733 Posts
Don't pay over MSRP. Simply order all options except sun visor/rear seat divider. And go with the 72 month extended warranty. If the dealer won't go with this offer. It's time to move on or wait for one who will.

BTW: 2011 Volt 555 is doing well. One of my favorite things about highway driving is how the cruise control never downshifts to take hills. Simply powers over them smooth as silk. I went with the 72 month warranty because of the intensity of high tech in the vehicle. If the Volt doesn't need service then good for GM. The engineering and assembly of the Volt is impressive.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Go with the Bose sound system, it is well worth it and 495 dollars is not a bad peice for a audio upgrade. You would pay more for a custom system. Yes, Bose may be overpriced on there home products, but the sound is excelent. The sound I get compairs well with my home system which has Bowers & Wilkins speakers at the heart of it. I would be hard pressed to hear any difference in the sound when playing my reference CD on eather system. The Volt Bose sound system is accurate and very strong and with the Volt being so quiet, that makes it event better.

Don't pay over MSRP, shop around for a dealer that will do MSRP and not pay games.

Nav systemes built into most cars are pricey. But it is nicely intergrated into the rest of the systems.

Good luck with your decisions...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, here's the bottom line. I checked around and found a dealer ~50 miles from my home that would sell me one at MSRP. They also have a 2011 in stock that they were willing to sell me at MSRP, but I'd have to wait a few weeks to take possession. My wife and I test drove it (that was nice - WOW, I really want one now) and it's resolved her anxiety about it.

I'm going to have to wait now, as I missed my opportunity at the local dealer and these guys didn't have an open allocation, but pretty soon I'll be the happy owner of a 2012 Volt (Topaz Blue if it shows up in time, Red otherwise) with everything I said above AND the Bose audio system (UQA).

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Ron C

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Yep I clutched for 2 days lining up a sale on an existing car and missed my August allocation, Order is in just waiting on a Sept. allocation now.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ron C

Congratulations on the buy. I can't wait to get my hands on my Volt. The build date is scheduled for next week! I loved to two I test drove!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I became tired of waiting around on a Nissan Leaf with reservations and subsequent price increases that bring it into the base Volt price range. The long wait for the Tesla S, even though it has a base 160mi range at around $50M is attractive. But I walked into the local Gainesville FL Chevy dealer today. He had an allocation of 3 (one a demo) for Sept, already had order numbers on them and was willing to sell at MSRP. I am trading my 2008 Toyota Yaris for 7M and buying the loaded Red/neutral leather interior Volt (MSRP around 45M). The order is in the Chevy system but no production number yet, they said mid-sept at the dealer. Nissan lost my confidence in being uninformed and trying to gouge me on price--one dealer was 1000 over and the other 2000 over MSRP, After I removed my request for a quote they called and said they were willing to sell at MSRP (like they were doing me a favor by not doing a $1000 scotchgard and wax job for me. Still would not give me an idea of delivery date. I will be calling tomorrow to cancel my LEAF order. So there are dealers out there without add-ons and selling at MSRP. Ocala (same ownership) was willing to sell at MSRP and had a less expensive Summit White with leather and no navigation in their allocation.

Jerry J.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts