GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help me Volt community! :) Found a different dealer with a fully loaded (I mean fully) 2016 Premier. Driver confidence 1 and 2, navigation, mounts for rear seat tablets (universal tablet holders), illuminated charge port, LED accent lights, all weather mats, kinetic blue (lots of stuff I don't really "need" but what the hey).

MSRP: $41865
Rebate: $8373
Discount: $1993
2013 Volt Trade in: $16,500 (this is obviously high, they're just playing with "where" they give me the discount)
Tax Credit: $7500

NY State Tax: +$1900
Doc/Misc Fee: +$272.50

This is just after getting them to take another $1,000 off.

I am asking for the doc/misc fees waived too. I don't really care to upgrade otherwise, I love my 2013.

What say you? Is this a great deal for me, or for the dealer? UGH!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Prices might drop again further into the year, especially with the Bolt competing for some buyers. Last month, Bob Johnson in Rochester, NY was at -$5k on the 2017s (it turned out to be real). This month, the emphasis at most dealers seems to be on moving the 2016's, and according to the BJ website, they are now at -$3.5k for the 2017s.

If you do not feel a sense of urgency, possibly by fall you could do a similar deal on a 2017 C1, C2, ACC ... (although those are good numbers. The trade number as you say seems off, blue book for a 2014 excellent is $15k - $17k, and dealers seem to try to go lower.)

Also, MSRP on a Blue/Red 2017 C1, C2, NAV, ACC is more like high $39k to $40k.

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
If you do any roadtripping in your Volt then I would wait for one with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). My wife has a Volt that matches your description (hers has tan (orange) interior). She doesn't have ACC in her as we weren't planning on roadtripping with (and instead use the Model X). I did, however, roadtrip twice MD->IL on purchase and IL->TX->IL for a sports destination. Thought the X would be here for the TX trip but it was not. Seats and driving was excellent in the 2016 Volt. Pain to manually adj CC tho.

·
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. ACC is nothing that I mind missing, but I'm guessing it's like flying first class in an airplane. Once you try it, you never want to go back to coach. ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
Thanks guys. ACC is nothing that I mind missing, but I'm guessing it's like flying first class in an airplane. Once you try it, you never want to go back to coach. ;)
Related to your first class vs coach comment. Here was my transition.

** Do you remember when you first drove an electric Volt that was smooth, quiet, and almost relaxing ... yet with some pep for fun? You said I don't want to drive without this cool, relaxing, and very useful features.

** Do you remember when you first "got it" with one-pedal driving using "L" in the Volt to slow down for corners, upcoming stops? You said I don't want to drive without this cool, relaxing, and very useful features.

** If you've ever driven in cars with adaptive cruise control (traffic aware cruise control) and you first "got" how unbelievably useful it was for varying traffic speeds or in stop-n-go traffic? You said I don't want to drive without this cool, relaxing, and very useful features.

** Auto-pilot is now like that for me. I don't want another car that I would take highway driving or on long roadtrips without it. No way. It is that useful and nice to have. I've driven some long days on my trip from IL to MT and there is not way I would be as awake, relaxed, and "centered-in-my-lane" without auto-pilot. Cars and trucks around me are on the rumble strip, lane paint, etc. Those drivers and the antelope were my biggest fear.

·
Registered
741 Posts
hard to believe that waiting for a better deal will result in a better deal......

looks pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
If you like it, buy it, I'm not clear by what you're saying with the trade in...Also since you're not mentioning APR I am guessing you're planning to purchase outright but if not you may be able to get 0% APR...Getting them to knock a few hundred off the sales price to offset the fees should be a huge deal for them, that's usually how it works as their fees are fixed and they rarely waive to them to $0, just lower the price of the car...

The concern is the dealer add-ons...The charge port is over $200 (there's a DYI solution to do it for $10) tablet holders are over $100 and be had for like $10 online...Having that current written offer is powerful, bring it to another dealer and have them beat it...

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The dealer wants to move the car and you want to upgrade. So it's a good deal for both of you. Basically it's $8K for three MY. My guess is that this will be the difference when you want to sell on the back end. So you won't save any money keeping your 2013 MY unless you intend to keep it another ten years.

Agree that if you do a lot of trips you want ACC. For local driving it's not that big an advantage.

** Auto-pilot is now like that for me. I don't want another car that I would take highway driving or on long roadtrips without it. No way. It is that useful and nice to have. I've driven some long days on my trip from IL to MT and there is not way I would be as awake, relaxed, and "centered-in-my-lane" without auto-pilot. Cars and trucks around me are on the rumble strip, lane paint, etc. Those drivers and the antelope were my biggest fear.
Auto pilot completely sucks. It's Level 2 autonomy (aid to driver) masquerading as Level 3 autonomy (car drivers itself AND can handle emergency situations). As such it invites accidents. Serious accidents. It's fine if Tesla owners want to beta test but they need to do it on a private roadway not on public roadways where they are a danger to others.

My guess is NHTSA will order Tesla to either remove the feature or make it obvious that it's Level 2. That might not bother you at all -- my guess is that it won't -- but it will make it a lot safer.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Help me Volt community! :) Found a different dealer with a fully loaded (I mean fully) 2016 Premier. Driver confidence 1 and 2, navigation, mounts for rear seat tablets (universal tablet holders), illuminated charge port, LED accent lights, all weather mats, kinetic blue (lots of stuff I don't really "need" but what the hey).

2013 Volt Trade in: $16,500 (this is obviously high, they're just playing with "where" they give me the discount)

I am asking for the doc/misc fees waived too. I don't really care to upgrade otherwise, I love my 2013.

Did you Carmax your current Volt? I think they should be able to give a $3k+ dealer discount off MSRP, before the 20% rebate. I think they are padding the trade-in value and keeping the Volt discount light.

Whatever you decide, better do it quick! Deal ends soon, and someone may swipe that Volt from under your nose. As it stands, looks like a good deal. You may not have to luxury of waiting for the "killer" extract every last cent from the dealer deal.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Buy it, you know you want it, just do it :)

You could wait further in the year and maybe get another 1k lower in price, but your trade will evaluate less as well because you'd have more use on the car.

Plus factor in how much extra effort it will take for you to 'find' that better deal. Your time is worth something to, so IMHO you've already done all the legwork with the current dealer, and if you start from scratch again in 2-3 months there are no guarantees....so if it were me I'd go with this deal....you know, a bird in the hand is better than two in the which-a-ma-call-it and all that other stuff my Dad used to say to me :)

·
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you Carmax your current Volt? I think they should be able to give a $3k+ dealer discount off MSRP, before the 20% rebate. I think they are padding the trade-in value and keeping the Volt discount light.

Whatever you decide, better do it quick! Deal ends soon, and someone may swipe that Volt from under your nose. As it stands, looks like a good deal. You may not have to luxury of waiting for the "killer" extract every last cent from the dealer deal.
I would love to, but the nearest CarMax is an hour away. Makes it hard to try and swing that angle. :(

The dealer did waive doc/misc fees, but something I didn't realize is that NY taxes an MSRP rebate, so I have taxes I didn't expect on that portion. I need them to come down another $384 or so, to let me be at $16,500 OTD before the federal tax credit. I don't think they will budge, so I'm probably keeping my 2013 longer. Good news is the battery warranty lasts until 2021 ;)

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I would love to, but the nearest CarMax is an hour away. Makes it hard to try and swing that angle. :(

The dealer did waive doc/misc fees, but something I didn't realize is that NY taxes an MSRP rebate, so I have taxes I didn't expect on that portion. I need them to come down another $384 or so, to let me be at $16,500 OTD before the federal tax credit. I don't think they will budge, so I'm probably keeping my 2013 longer. Good news is the battery warranty lasts until 2021 ;)
Find another car locally, bring your paperwork and tell the dealer to knock another $500 off this and you'll buy right now...

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
We upgraded from our 2014 Volt to our new 2016 LTZ with over $11,000 off MSRP. Big improvement over our 2014. More range,more power, and more mpg's just on gas, and you can use regular gas at that with no issues. If you can get a good trade for your old Volt and thousands off on a 2016 Volt time to buy it....

·
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
After all taxes, fees, etc. I'm at 16,884 with the dealer. I want to be at $16,500. It seems we're at a stalemate.

The 2016 is a sweet car but maybe the 2017 will be the one for me if this deal doesn't work. Oh well. The main problem with this car is they loaded it with too many useless (for me) options that drive the price higher. I don't need tablet holders, LED accent lights, an extra charge cord, etc. I suppose I could sell some of the accessories I don't need and make some of the money back.

On the bright side, I guess that's $16,500 that stays in my pocket for another day. ;)

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
After all taxes, fees, etc. I'm at 16,884 with the dealer. I want to be at $16,500. It seems we're at a stalemate.

The 2016 is a sweet car but maybe the 2017 will be the one for me if this deal doesn't work. Oh well. The main problem with this car is they loaded it with too many useless (for me) options that drive the price higher. I don't need tablet holders, LED accent lights, an extra charge cord, etc. I suppose I could sell some of the accessories I don't need and make some of the money back.

On the bright side, I guess that's $16,500 that stays in my pocket for another day. ;)
Man, NY must not nearly be in as much of a Volt frenzy than MD/VA. Literally every '16 Volt withing 50 miles of me is gone.

Surprised they aren't willing to at least remove the charge cord and drop the price accordingly. If they don't sell that '16 by today, the rebate runs out, and that Volt could sit on their lots collecting dust till possibly the end of the year, unless GM revives the 20% off rebate.

If you truly are interested in that '16 and have some time to kill, I might just show up at the dealership, go "I'll buy that '16 for 16.5k OTD...want a deal or not?". Car dealers become more flexible when a potential sale is staring at them in the face.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts