GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm now days away from getting my Volt (so excited).... does anyone have a to do /checklist that I should leverage, would be very useful as there are quite a few settings I'm sure you folks would recommend... thanks!

·
Registered
357 Posts
This isn't comprehensive but here's some things to consider:

1. Read the owner's manual.
2. Inflate the tires to at least 40 psi (some are even doing 50 psi to maximize range)
3. Set up all your presets on your radio (up to 6 screens of presets to program)
4. Set up your myvolt.com account so that you can remote start even if you don't have an iphone or droid.
5. If you like Pandora go ahead and get an auxiliary cable so that you can play Pandora off of a phone or a tablet (Pandora is a lot better than XM personally)
6. Try different driving configurations (sport vs normal, drive vs low and see what works best for you. I personally don't want to use much gas so I usually use normal and drive but others like the sport and low settings.
7. Be prepared to talk about the Volt because you WILL get questions.
8. Look to pull up to BMWs, Mercedes and other higher end cars at stop lights and put it into "Sport" and look for them in your rear view mirror! :^)

Other than that I can't think of a lot but that's because the car doesn't need much attention once you get it home. Good luck! Congrats and have fun with it!

·
Registered
161 Posts
The dealer when I picked mine up was very helpful in setting up the bluetooth connection to my phone for me which I was very grateful for. You'll also want to set aside some time the first day to get your Onstar account all set up (if I recall correctly took about 20 minutes on the way home) and maybe play around with trying to do a destination download into the navigation system (a feature I use a lot).

You should also practice with the voice commands for a little bit. Its really a little more cumbersome than it should be, but with a little practice is pretty neat. (The real secret is you have to wait for the cues (beeps or verbal prompts) before responding or it won't hear you right, took me a couple days to get the hang of it).

I also don't recommend setting all 6 pages of radio favorites, its too cumbersome to move around in, the most important thing is to get your top 6 favorite on 1 screen for easy access (there is a setting that lets you change the total number of favorites pages so there is less to cycle through).

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Clean out your wallet and get rid of all of those gas credit cards that you won't be needing any more, LOL.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think some are making a mistake by inflating the tires much past the 35 that GM and the tire mfr. recommend. This recommendation takes the weight and tire type and size to suggest what it should be run for pressure. If you run it low you get worse mileage and it wears the tire out on the edges. If you run it too high it wears out in the center and rides hard and does not preform as well as the tire does not have full surface on the road. You may get marginally better mileage but it is not worth all the bad effects. Maybe run 36 and check with a gauge once or twice per month as the pressure by the sensors is not exactly correct and varies if you watch it for a while.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Get Chargepoint card.
Make sure you have 110 outlet convenient to parking.
Search for charging points at work if your work place is more than 20 miles from home.
Get ev sticker if applicable in your state.
Check for free parking program in your municipality.
Check with electric company about special rates.
Consider 240 volt charging.
Consider vanity plates or license plate frames.
Select a name for the car, which is used in OnStar application.
Get a solar screen for windshield to use in summer.
Load a memory stick with mp3s.
Practice with the voice activated navigation.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Preparation for buying a Volt:
Beginning about a year before I got my Volt, I began making pretend car payments to my savings account, so that I was ready to make a down payment on the Volt when it finally came out.
Also a few weeks before the Volt had arrived, in preparation, I moved the '68 Chevy pickup that didn't run from the middle of the 2 car garage to the side using wheel dollys and cleaned up the rest of the garage so the Volt will have a spot to park inside the garage. I don't want too many of my neighbors to know I have such an expensive car.
Another thing is if you are getting a 2011 MY Volt and have any cell phone or portable music player capable of playing music over bluetooth, get a Blackberry stereo bluetooth gateway, to plug into the aux cable input to the stereo. (2012 has bluetooth music capability built in)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all, great input, appreciate it! I'll have a chance to apply your recommendations very soon as in about 1 hour I'll be picking up my Volt from Kurt in Fremont, CA. Hooray.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Should this be made a sticky post Mr. Moderator?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Make sure your dealer resets the lifetime mileage. It should read 250 when you take delivery.
I've had my car since the end of april and have been to my local (not-the-selling dealer) dealer once...to get the NY State inspection. When i asked the service manager to reset the lifetime mileage, he shrugged and told me that he had no idea how to do that. can you explicitly tell me the steps involved in that reset, so that the next time I am there, i can get that done...and if they dont know how to do it, i can tell them the process.

Thanks alot.
Stuart #2209

·
Registered
268 Posts
Plan on spending some time with your dealer when you take delivery. Mine was extreemly helpful and very professional - reminded me of a Lexus dealer not a Chevy dealer. Read the owners manual cover to cover - you will be getting lots of questions from people.

·
Registered
274 Posts
posted the following message a week ago and nobody replied to it. as a senior member, i was hoping that you might be able to answer my question.
thanks
stuart #2209

"Originally Posted by Mark Z
Make sure your dealer resets the lifetime mileage. It should read 250 when you take delivery.
I've had my car since the end of april and have been to my local (not-the-selling dealer) dealer once...to get the NY State inspection. When i asked the service manager to reset the lifetime mileage, he shrugged and told me that he had no idea how to do that. can you explicitly tell me the steps involved in that reset, so that the next time I am there, i can get that done...and if they dont know how to do it, i can tell them the process.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Volt Recommendation

I'm now days away from getting my Volt (so excited).... does anyone have a to do /checklist that I should leverage, would be very useful as there are quite a few settings I'm sure you folks would recommend... thanks!
Congrats on your new Volt! What an awesome car! I do digital work for OnStar and wanted to share with you some of the features that come with your service. Check it out and feel free to leave any questions you might have in the comments so we can help. http://onstarconnections.com/2011/02/four-onstar-benefits-and-services-you-may-not-know/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts