GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 lease is up in March 2017. I have really enjoyed the car and prefer its styling over GEN 2. The lease buy out price is way too high and anyway, I usually lease a new vehicle every 3 years. So, the BOLT is starting to appear on my radar as a possible replacement candidate. I have seen the initial photos and the general spec's so far which include a flat storage area with the rear seats down and about 57 cubic feet of storage area. The BOLT does appear to be smaller and looks similar to a Honda Fit. Usually, I would have leased a new GEN 2 VOLT, but am having second thoughts. Guess there is nothing else to do but wait until the initial production models come out and give it a test drive and full inspection. But, was still wondering if anyone can discern some specifications now such as tire size and overall length and width. What are your overall impressions based upon the photo's? Can you see yourself switching from a VOLT to a BOLT?

·
2,356 Posts
There's a lot of discussion in the Bolt section of the forum about the Bolt's specifications. Preliminary specs have been released by GM:

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2016/Jan/naias/chevy/0111-bolt-du.html

I would switch from a Volt to a Bolt. 200 miles of EPA range is more than adequate for my needs, even considering winter weather and unexpected situations that arise.

As it is we may keep the Volt and add a Bolt, no doubt leading to occasional confusion about who's taking which car. It would be my wife's, so it will come down to our family situation at the time and whether she likes the test drive.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
My 2014 lease is up in March 2017. I have really enjoyed the car and prefer its styling over GEN 2. The lease buy out price is way too high and anyway, I usually lease a new vehicle every 3 years. So, the BOLT is starting to appear on my radar as a possible replacement candidate. I have seen the initial photos and the general spec's so far which include a flat storage area with the rear seats down and about 57 cubic feet of storage area. The BOLT does appear to be smaller and looks similar to a Honda Fit. Usually, I would have leased a new GEN 2 VOLT, but am having second thoughts. Guess there is nothing else to do but wait until the initial production models come out and give it a test drive and full inspection. But, was still wondering if anyone can discern some specifications now such as tire size and overall length and width. What are your overall impressions based upon the photo's? Can you see yourself switching from a VOLT to a BOLT?
If you can find a C-Max hybrid/Energi, the Bolt's exterior dimensions are very similar....perhaps a shade shorter (~1"), a shade narrower, and a few inches shorter lengthwise. That or a Chevy Trax/Buick Encore. Those will be a little taller, but otherwise very similar form factor...on the outside.

The Bolt is definitely taller (2-3") than Fit or Sonic hatch. I confirmed this in person at the DC Auto Show this past January.

I am planning on transferring my '17 Volt lease once I pick up a Bolt EV. I'll still have my '12 Volt to compliment the Bolt.

FYI, with you being in Florida, don't expect to be able to pick up a Bolt at the end of this year unless you shop an out of state, CARB state dealer.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
One of each is my plan. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was reading the latest from autoguide,and next month volkswagon is going to have a 300 mile range ev that they are introducing
somehow the next year or so is going to be exciting in the ev world for sure

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I would like to start the following rumor: Volt deliveries will be delayed 2 months so that an uprated battery offering 300 mi. range can be fitted. Now, run with it.....

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
One of each is my plan. :)
Same here.

I got to ride in a pre-production near saleable Bolt EV this week. It is bigger than a Honda Fit.

In the front you have good leg room and excellent head room. The Bolt EV doesn't seem very wide. (feels a little more narrow than the Volt) however you also don't need to contend with the battery hump in the Bolt EV. The seats seem just as wide as the Volt.

I'm a big guy (6'1" and 300+lbs). I had the front seat in a position that I was comfortable with and I could sit in the back seat with zero issues behind myself. The rear seat does sit a little higher up than the front seats so the head room is a little less in the back. Only people taller than ~6'3" might have some head room concerns in the back. There is certainly more passenger space than in the Volt overall.

For rear cargo the space is a little more narrow and not quite as deep as the Volts. However it is much taller. And under the false floor (to make a flat load floor with seats folded down [and they do fold down very flat]) there is also quite a bit more space. I didn't measure closely but I would guess there is ~6" to 12" of depth under the false floor. Under that there was even more storage which is where the L1 EVSE and tow hook were stored (and under that there was a space for the subwoofer). The pre-production Bolt EV's also were equipped with a higher storage shelf equal to the top of the rear seats (something like a Volt shelf).

The higher seating position and large windows also did very well for visibility.

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I was reading the latest from autoguide,and next month volkswagon is going to have a 300 mile range ev that they are introducing somehow the next year or so is going to be exciting in the ev world for sure
If you're talking about this article: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/17/vw-300-mile-ev-paris-auto-show-report/ it reports that VW would debut a prototype in October, and to expect a production version in 2018 or 2019, not next year.

The 300-mile range claim also seems suspect, as it quotes the VW CEO of suggesting it would have a 248-372 mile range. But presumably he'd be giving numbers that are more based on the NECD test cycle than the EPA cycle. (NECD tests are much more generous.) So I'd guess more in the 200-250 mile range for EPA tests. But there's so little info to discern here... so who knows.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I really enjoy the styling of the Bolt, as I generally prefer the hatchback/liftback styling. However, my Volt is paid off and the only thing that would make me trade-in immediately would be a Volt or Bolt with a sunroof/pano moonroof. I was really hoping that GM would change its mind and offer a factory moonroof option to the Gen 2 Volt or the Bolt but it doesn't appear that it will happen in either car. I hate to admit it, but I kind of want to see what the Model 3 will offer in the production version. The only reason I'm considering the Model 3 is the sunroof/pano moonroof option.

·
2,356 Posts
I hate to admit it, but I kind of want to see what the Model 3 will offer in the production version. The only reason I'm considering the Model 3 is the sunroof/pano moonroof option.
Nothing wrong with that. I'm considering a Model 3, too. I have no brand loyalty whatsoever. I just find it humorous when people will only consider a Model 3, even though they haven't seen the production version, and they can't understand why someone else might consider a Bolt.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The 300-mile range claim also seems suspect, as it quotes the VW CEO of suggesting it would have a 248-372 mile range. But presumably he'd be giving numbers that are more based on the NECD test cycle than the EPA cycle. (NECD tests are much more generous.) So I'd guess more in the 200-250 mile range for EPA tests. But there's so little info to discern here... so who knows.
I hope you're not suggesting that VW would consider fudging any numbers to make their EPA test appear better than they are...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I use my Volt mainly for commuting 36 miles round trip and traveling locally with my family. The Bolt may meet those needs better than the Volt, especially for back seat room for my rapidly growing son. I may make the switch in a few years.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've got about 2,000 gas miles and 14,000 EV miles on my Volt. As much as I would LOVE to get a Bolt, I won't because I don't want to give up the ability to take a road trip in my car.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Everyone seems to forget the electric miles are climate and terrain dependent. Plus with these large batteries you have to have an expensive charging system to fill them up quickly. So you buy a "200 mile" car, it is going to go less than that on more than one occasion. So you have to find a charger if you are not home. Unless you are driving a Tesla you will be lucky to find a charger and then you will only be able to add 10 miles or so unless you want to sit around for an hour or more. That's what makes the Volt special. You can be sure they will get battery to 60 miles in the next Gen. The Bolt is probably only going to have a 6.6 Kwh charging rate due the same battery design as the Volt.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Everyone seems to forget the electric miles are climate and terrain dependent. Plus with these large batteries you have to have an expensive charging system to fill them up quickly. So you buy a "200 mile" car, it is going to go less than that on more than one occasion. So you have to find a charger if you are not home. Unless you are driving a Tesla you will be lucky to find a charger and then you will only be able to add 10 miles or so unless you want to sit around for an hour or more. That's what makes the Volt special. You can be sure they will get battery to 60 miles in the next Gen. The Bolt is probably only going to have a 6.6 Kwh charging rate due the same battery design as the Volt.
Bolt will have a standard 7.2 kW L2 onboard charger (up to 25 miles per hour), plus the option for fast charging via a CCS port (160 miles in 1 hour). Long distance travel is possible as long as the charging infrastructure exists....like in MD, for example.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes, you probably really have to understand your mileage requirements before you buy a Bolt and be more mindful of what your mileage will be on any particular trip. That's the case with all the BEV's these days and so it is a bit of a different mindset. I feel like I do that kind of thinking a little bit already wondering if I will make it on a particular day on battery only in the Volt. There is also the mental need to keep a small buffer at the bottom of the charge range. I doubt anyone wants to be pulling into a charging location with 0 miles reading on their range estimator.

The Bolt L2 charger is 7.2 kW, and they quote 25 miles per hour of charge. Not bad.

I feel conflicted about buying a Bolt next year, also. The Bolt form factor I think is great and I personally think it is pretty cute. I look forward to easy entry and exit and more easily getting my kid in and out of the car and having more room in the back for her and other passengers. Easy parking and it actually fitting in my garage would be big plusses over a Tesla. I haven't taken any trips in the past 2-3 years with my Volt that would have been out of range of a Bolt. I would give up the sense of security of the range extender and of course my Volt is already paid for, so it would financially be stupid. It also seems like holding out a little longer might get some cool autonomous features and probably even more range. The MRSP may drop after the first year, but of course there is the issue of the tax credit eventually running out, so who knows how that will work out in the 2-3 year time frame.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Long distance travel is possible as long as the charging infrastructure exists....like in MD, for example.
The charging infrastructure does not exist in most places... I would probably opt for a Tesla 3 over the Bolt just because Tesla does have the chargers in place.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Even if costs you $5000 to use them?
Back when Supercharging was an option on Model S 60 cars, it was a $2000 option for unlimited use. At the TSLA shareholders meeting a few months ago, Elon indicated that they were also looking at some sort of pay per use scenario TBD.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts