GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been covered in different ways in different threads and I apologize in advance if it covers well-worn territory. Trying to decide on whether to proceed with the installation of a blink system (220 power) thru SPX. Actually I think their quote is pretty reasonable - $800 installation after the $400 credit and some bargaining which brought it down another $300 from $1100. Not a terrific price but not highway robbery either. I am not going to denigrate the folks at SPX or the electrician - they have been pleasant to deal with.

I live in Northern Virginia and have NOVEC and I am not totally sure right now about their tiered power rates - need to research. But I currently have a two year lease and I may or may not buy another vehicle which would benefit from the system. If I did not spend the $800 on blink, that would be about 200 gallons of gas that I could buy or 8,000 gas miles.

If I had the charger instead, to "break even" for the 8000 gas miles, the charger would have to make me more efficient by 11 miles a day (=8000/24/30)--that is the quicker charging ability would allow me to do more than 11 miles than I would with a slower charging ability. I could see this being the case on the weekends but not so much on the weekdays. I suppose then it may come down to whether tiered power charges would make it cheaper for me to charge?

Are there any other pieces of the equation I am missing? For those with 24 month leases, what would you consider the breakeven point for your decision to install a blink?

Thanks for thoughts!

Dave

· Registered
299 Posts
I spent about $750 for mine after all the discounts. The ROI is two-fold. There are days when the fast charge allows me to get back on the road gas-free that would have turned into a gallon or two of gas. But the other ROI is the piece of mind that I can keep the 120V unit in the trunk as a spare or when traveling.

· Registered
1,237 Posts
Go with the level 2. After driving a Volt for 2 years I would be surprised if you went back to an ICE vehicle.

· Registered
1,415 Posts
Check out the thread on the Blink... some folks are not happy with the unit after install. Wifi issues can be avoided with a simple stand alone Level 2.

· Registered
22 Posts
I live in an area where we have hot summers and cold winters, I bought my L2 charger largely to precondition the car and to allow it to run the TMS when baking in the sun or freezing during the winter. A fringe benefit for me has also been I can take a trip in the morning and do so again a few hours later without having to use gas.

· Registered
2,088 Posts
We have had numerous and repeated problems with Blink's hardware and software updates. The unit has been unusable for weeks due to a software update they pushed out knowing it was bad. I would avoid them like the plague. Our Clipper Creek has never had any downtown, and we love it.

· Registered
1,369 Posts
In my case, my Blink is unlikely to ever pay for itself during my 3 year lease - much like the articles denigrating the Volt because of its $50K "development" costs per Volt. However, after test driving a Volt a few times (prior to purchase) I knew EVs one one type or another were the future and figured an L2 charger would likely be needed for later vehicle purchases - thus I'm amortizing that up front investment past my initial ownership (hey, just like the development of the Volt). The Blink's reliability is, admittedly, a question but under the Ecotality program there is at least some kind of warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.