GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for new tires. Original OEM Goodyear Assurance tires are not available anymore. I have two 2013 Volts and have tried the new Assurance and Michelin Defenders. Both brands reduced my overall range. After looking at the present offerings, I purchased the Continental Control Contact Tour A/S Plus. Goodyear, Michelin & Continental are around the 70k range. The main difference between the three is weight. Continental - 21 lbs, Michelin Defender - 24 lbs, Goodyear Assurance - 25 lbs.
I mainly chose them for their weight. I am looking forward to see how they perform.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Light weight is important. I think you made a good choice. I’ve been running Michelin Primacy MXV4s with 94Vs on the front, 93Vs (which are lighter than the 94s) on the back. Any tire except the original, special made for Volts, Goodyear will get a drop in range. I love these Michelins, long lasting and the handling is much improved over the Goodyears.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I replaced my 2012 Volt’s OEM tires in 2018 with the 22 pound version of the Goodyear Assurance tires. The Goodyear website then listed three versions of the Fuel Max tires. All of the stock numbers are 738 XXX 571. The OEM Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires (XXX=340), no longer available, weighed 20 pounds. After some effort, I was able to learn that the version where XXX=548 weighs 22 pounds, and the version where XXX=735 weighs 25 pounds. It appears the two available versions differ in tread width and/or depth, and it seems to me a wider tire or deeper tread depth would indicate a greater amount of tire material, i.e., a heavier tire.

My mileage took a small hit initially, but the seasonal full charge ev range estimates I had previously been obtaining eventually returned. This suggests to me that the battery energy used per mile using these slightly heavier version of the OEM tires, once they were "broken in," is about the same as the energy used per mile I had previously been getting since buying the car new in 2012.

·
Administrator
22,807 Posts
I got 70k miles from my original Goodyears. 4/32" tread was left when I replaced them. That's very good performance. So I got another set, I think they were the 22 lb. version, but it's been a while.

Reactions: Turboman92

·
Registered
116 Posts
Let us know how it goes these are my current thoughts / options I would love to hear what yeah all think. It's likely the Continentals but I gotta check with the local tire shop.

I currently have 2 pirelli p7 cintiratos from 3-4 years ago and 2 good year assurance fuel max tires that where original, I am
Thinking the p7 cint summer / touring tire is the closest option

I do also like general tire so I was wanting to check in and see what others were running there is also the continental true contact touring which looks similar

I run dedicated winter tires so not super concerned about snow performance

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
710 Posts
I replaced my 2012 Volt’s OEM tires in 2018 with the 22 pound version of the Goodyear Assurance tires. The Goodyear website then listed three versions of the Fuel Max tires. All of the stock numbers are 738 XXX 571. The OEM Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires (XXX=340), no longer available, weighed 20 pounds. After some effort, I was able to learn that the version where XXX=548 weighs 22 pounds, and the version where XXX=735 weighs 25 pounds. It appears the two available versions differ in tread width and/or depth, and it seems to me a wider tire or deeper tread depth would indicate a greater amount of tire material, i.e., a heavier tire.

My mileage took a small hit initially, but the seasonal full charge ev range estimates I had previously been obtaining eventually returned. This suggests to me that the battery energy used per mile using these slightly heavier version of the OEM tires, once they were "broken in," is about the same as the energy used per mile I had previously been getting since buying the car new in 2012.
I lost a bunch of mileage putting the heavier, new Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires. 17k miles or so later, my max EV range is in the low to mid 40’s which I think would be better if I had the OE tire.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I lost a bunch of mileage putting the heavier, new Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires. 17k miles or so later, my max EV range is in the low to mid 40’s which I think would be better if I had the OE tire.
Perhaps your tire merchant sold you the 25 pound, with the wider, deeper tread, and not the 22 pound version of the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires for your Volt (the OEM version, no longer available, was 20 pounds). Four years ago when I put new tires on my 2012 Volt, two versions of the Fuel Max were available (don’t know if two options are still available). I chose the 22 pound version, and after they were broken in, I had no noticeable reduction in range.

Confusion arises because the stock numbers for all three versions are nearly identical, and it’s not easy to learn there are two versions for the Gen 1 Volt (the people at the Goodyear Tire Store in my area were able to confirm the availability of both versions for me in 2018). Check the middle three digits of your tire’s stock number. The 22 pound tire’s number should be 548, the 25 pound tires’s number should be 735 (the 20 pound, with number 340, is no longer available).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts