GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Volt will need to be inspected in April and, while i was hoping to make it to 30k miles on the OEM rubber, I am pretty certain the tires will not pass. The hilly, windy roads around Pittsburgh make it really difficult to achieve long tire life.

While researching options I've become intrigued by the Pirelli Cinturato P7, which is available with an 94H Load/Speed rating for $139, but there is currently a $60 rebate on four. It gets great reviews on Tire Rack - best in its category - and has an excellent tread wear rating. It is significantly cheaper than the Michelin Premier A/S and Primacy MXV4 I was also considering.

Anyone running the Pirelli on their Volt want to share their opinions?

Here is the Tire Rack link...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...let&autoYear=2012&autoModel=Volt&autoModClar=

·
Registered
1,340 Posts

·
Banned
289 Posts
I'm running them, and I even upped the size to 235/50R-17 because I wanted a lot more grip. :)

I like them a lot, much quieter than stock, I can take corners much faster, and they give me much more confidence in stopping power. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have stuck with the stock size, I'm losing about 2-4 miles per charge, but I drive so little right now (working from home) that it doesn't really matter to me.

·
Registered
184 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The 94H version in the OP's link is not listed as LRR, but the 94V is. The higher-speed version (94V) is a more suitable replacement since the OEM Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires also had a 94V rating.
The entire Cinturato P7 All Season Plus line is touted as LRR, according to Pirelli. Why would the tiny difference between H and V (19MPH rated) make a difference in rolling resistance? The V rated tires are going to be heavier, so why not put some lighter 130MPH rated tires (V) on a car that can only do 101MPH? You'd save a few bucks, too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The entire Cinturato P7 All Season Plus line is touted as LRR, according to Pirelli. Why would the tiny difference between H and V (19MPH rated) make a difference in rolling resistance? The V rated tires are going to be heavier, so why not put some lighter 130MPH rated tires (V) on a car that can only do 101MPH? You'd save a few bucks, too.
As shown in the Specs section of the Tirerack link below, the 94V is LRR rated and the 94H is not. Also note that both versions weigh 23 pounds each.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Cinturato+P7+All+Season+Plus

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
You can run the Cinturato P7 on your volt. You will loose 5 miles of EV range and you will probably only achieve 35mpg.

If you are willing to put up with the range hit and the worse mpg... They are probably a fine tire.

·
Registered
184 Posts
As indicated in the Tirerack Owner Survey comparison of the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus and the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max (OEM Volt tire), the P7 is light-years ahead of the Fuel Max. I've been unable to find mpg data to determine which is more economical, but the Fuel Max is 4 points lighter (23 vs 19) and has a 0.6" narrower (7.2" vs 7.8") tread width, both of which would strongly suggest that the Fuel Max is the more economical tire. Unfortunately, I can't put a number on the difference.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have these on the GTI and they work pretty darn well for an A/S tire. I'd say they're up to par with the PureContacts i have on the Volt and leagues beyond the OEM tires in terms of handling, traction and steering response.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Below is a Tirerack review of the Cinturato P7 tire from a 2014 Volt owner from SoCal. As indicated, he went to a slightly larger size and took a 3 mile hit (AER)...

The stock 215/55/17 goodyear fuel max that came with the car was way too soft and disconnected. So I decided to upsize to 225/50/17. After looking around (between the MXM4, Conti purecontact I decided to go with the P7s. didn't go with the MXM4 because of the cost and I had bad experience with Conti tires in the past.

I am very impressed with the these compared to the stock goodyear. These are stiffer with better road feel, braking distance is shorter (partly could be the wider size) and quieter. In the few off/on ramps that I have taken, they handle way better than the goodyear.

Yes I did lose about 3 miles per charge (in terms of range) but I think that's mainly due to the wider size (these are LRR tires as well) but that doesn't bother me at all for the better ride/handling/braking

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
As shown in the Specs section of the Tirerack link below, the 94V is LRR rated and the 94H is not. Also note that both versions weigh 23 pounds each.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Cinturato+P7+All+Season+Plus
Sorry, I'm just going by what the manufacturer says. Maybe TireRack forgot to indicate that? I don't see how a single speed rating difference would bump it out of LRR, honestly. There are other H rated ones in there that show "EcoImpact".

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sorry, I'm just going by what the manufacturer says. Maybe TireRack forgot to indicate that? I don't see how a single speed rating difference would bump it out of LRR, honestly. There are other H rated ones in there that show "EcoImpact".
It's certainly possible that the Tirerack info is wrong, but it's hard to determine that since the Pirelli website does not provide any specifications. Regardless, the 94V-rated tire, compared to the 94H version, has better/stiffer sidewall construction with less temperature build-up and better handling characteristics (steering response, in particular). I'm sure that the P7s on your Tesla have the 94V load-speed rating.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I'm sure that the P7s on your Tesla have the 94V load-speed rating.
Mine are 98V, but they are lower profile and the Tesla is a bit heavier.

I also noticed the max PSI on the non-EcoImpact tires on the TR site seems to be lower than the same sized tires.

I've had mine for a while and haven't noticed an increase in Wh/mi over the Michelins they replaced. Lateral grip seems about the same and they are much quieter.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have them on my wife's 2012 Impreza. I went with the H rating and couldn't be happier. Tires are very, very quiet and overall a great improvement over the stock Yokohama Avid's. No change in gas mileage. Will definitely consider them for the Volt when time to replace the OEM's. Performed very well in the many snow events we had this winter.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the input.

I'm going to give the H rated version a try. Even in H speed rating it remains an A temperature rated tire. Handling is rated as excellent in the TireRack survey so I highly doubt sidewall stiffness is an issue - especially when coming from the OEM Goodyear. I see no reason to spend extra money on a higher speed rating for my car that rarely sees speeds north of 65 mph. Heck, I'd consider them in T speed rating if they were available and still had an acceptable load rating.

I went ahead and told my local shop to order them in for me. I was surprised that his price was so competitive. TireRack has them for $139 + tax and shipping, Walmart has them online listed at $137 + tax but free shipping. The local shop gave me a price of $155 + tax installed. Might be costing a buck or two more, but I decided to support the local guy.

I'll report back after I've had them for a while.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts