GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
Hmmm. Why would a 2019 need new tires? And why wouldn't you use the tire specs from the Owner's Manual?

·
Registered
949 Posts
I replaced the OAM tires on my 2017 Bolt at 77k miles, they still had probably 1/3 of the tread remaining but I had just gotten a puncture in the 3rd of the 4 tires (that was the only downside to the OEMs, they seemed to be susceptible to the junk on the road) so I decided to just replace the tires and hope that the new set would be more resilient.

I replaced them with Continental PureContact (link to them on Tirerack below) and had those for the next 53k miles until I sold the car, and they still had probably 1/2 the tread on them so I'd definitely get them again. Also, I got the Eco+ ones which are supposed to be more efficient, and the EV range I got was maybe slightly less than the OEMs but only maybe 5% less range so it wasn't a big deal. Good luck!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Last month I picked up a hex key in a rear tire at 35k miles. So I ditched the original tires, which were about half worn, but were getting hard and I suppose more susceptible to puncture of the type I got. I used my No Mar manual tire changer to remove and replace all four tires. It was surprisingly easy to do, but still a bear for an arthritic 71 year old.

Bragging aside, I decided against the direct oem replacement, and went with a very similar design, same brand, Michelin. The tires old and new look almost identical side by side, but the newer Michelins have distinctly stiffer sidewalls, and minor differences in tread, especially around the outer circumference. They cost about the same, $165 each from Tire Rack. Delivered in two days! Fresh, only a month out of the factory.

For the first few days I could hear a high speed whine with radio and all interior noises diminished, that appeared around 70 mph on very smooth road surface. Not enough to bother me. Now, after a thousand miles, that whine is gone. The tires run nice and quiet, ride smooth, handle well. I'm happy. I may be getting a little less mileage, but it doesn't seem to be enough to notice in daily use. And I like the stiffer sidewalls because I think stiffer sidewalls make for a sturdier, if heavier, tire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts