GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone rotated their tires on their MY2016/2017? My 2017 has reached 10,000 km. I usually do this on my own on my other vehicles. I don't have a TPMS relearn tool and was wondering if anyone has purchased one? Or can a reset be done without the tool? Or do people just take it into the dealer for service? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I do it myself and just remember what position the tire is in between rotations.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Has anyone rotated their tires on their MY2016/2017? My 2017 has reached 10,000 km. I usually do this on my own on my other vehicles. I don't have a TPMS relearn tool and was wondering if anyone has purchased one? Or can a reset be done without the tool? Or do people just take it into the dealer for service? Thanks.
Visit your local tire shop. The fee to rotate and reprogram should be less than $20 or so and it helps support your local business :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I was looking to get this: https://www.amazon.com/Kent-Moore-EL-50448-Pressure-Monitor-Activation/dp/B00A3UNYW8

TPMS adds so much cost to tires...so annoying.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Isn't there free maintenance from the dealer for 2 years?

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I do this, and there is a good post in the sticky posts on it. the short answer is that for a simple rotation, you don't worry about it, the car reports pressure at the wrong corner, but it no big deal to set all 4 tires to the same pressure when one goes low. Its another story when you put the winter tires on if you have those. you can ignore the TPMS warnings for the winter. ( "I didn't have TPMS for the last 500,000 miles I drove, why do I need it now?") or get an inexpensive teach tool: the ATEQ VT5 has been reported here to work well, and costs only $75 on Amazon.
Paul

·
Administrator
20,674 Posts
Or can a reset be done without the tool?
For MY 2011 and (some) 2012, a relearn tool is not needed, but the tool is much faster than letting air out to retrain the TPMS. For all other years, a relearn tool is needed to reset the wheel position.

Otherwise, make sure to test all 4 tires if one is reported low by the TPMS. We have had reports of some seeing a low pressure warning, checking the tire and seeing no pressure loss only to get a flat further down the road because they checked the wrong tire. Their dealer did not relearn the new wheel positions after the rotation and the driver therefore was misled as to which tire had the issue and missed the tire with the actual pressure loss.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Isn't there free maintenance from the dealer for 2 years?
exactly.

just did my first maintenance at 10,000 miles at a dealer. tire rotation, oil change, multi-point inspection, two recall updates, and car wash, all included for free. why bother doing it yourself?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GM Canada only offer 2 years of free oil changes (which is 2 oil changes on the Volt). Tire rotation is not included. Checked with my dealer and it $40 for the tire rotation.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
GM Canada only offer 2 years of free oil changes (which is 2 oil changes on the Volt). Tire rotation is not included. Checked with my dealer and it $40 for the tire rotation.
Us Canadians always pay more and get less!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Is 2 years free maintenance included on all Gen2 volts in the US?

Just curious -- i have a 2017 - and will need a rotation sooner rather than later (already at 4000 miles) Plus I'd love to get one oil change in before the 2 year mark. Mostly just so I can say I never have to spend any money for oil changes (driving in mostly electric mode woohoo)

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Is 2 years free maintenance included on all Gen2 volts in the US?

Just curious -- i have a 2017 - and will need a rotation sooner rather than later (already at 4000 miles) Plus I'd love to get one oil change in before the 2 year mark. Mostly just so I can say I never have to spend any money for oil changes (driving in mostly electric mode woohoo)
If I remember correctly, it was listed on the window sticker.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
on Gen 1 volts, many don't need an oil change in the first 2 years because they have too few generator engine miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts