GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the tire pressure display on my dashboard, my left rear tire was inflated more than the others. So I let some air out. I checked the display and there was no change, so I let some more air out. Then I drove a while and noticed that the pressure in my left front tire was down. I thought "What a coincidence. I let some air out of the rear tire and now my front tire has a leak or something." This morning on my way to work I had a warning that my left front needed air. It was about this time that I discovered that the pressures of the left front and rear tires are reversed. As long as I've had the car, over two years, I've struggled to figure out the pressure gauge and marveled at how inaccurate it was. Now I've finally discovered the cause.

Has anyone else noticed that their tire pressure sensors are mixed up?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Whomever is rotating your tires & wheels is not going through the re-program of the TPMS sensors to teach the vehicle where the wheels are located on the car.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Have you gotten a tire rotation since getting your Volt?

The TPMS has to be updated every time the wheels change position in order for it to display the correct positions. For 2012 and later models, this requires a using a "relearn" tool and going through a preset sequence with the car.

In my experience, when swapping my winter/summer tires, my local shop has always failed to do this. But I have the relearn tool at home so I've done it myself.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've gotten my tires rotated several times. The first time I got them rotated at the dealer and I had to wait hours. That's when I decided they aren't good for routine maintenance. So I've been getting them rotated at a local tire shop. Like I said, it seems like the pressure display has always been goofed up. Where do I get a relearn tool?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've gotten my tires rotated several times. The first time I got them rotated at the dealer and I had to wait hours. That's when I decided they aren't good for routine maintenance. So I've been getting them rotated at a local tire shop. Like I said, it seems like the pressure display has always been goofed up. Where do I get a relearn tool?
Google Kent‑Moore EL‑50448.

I had a similar experience. My dealer rotated my tires for free (but it took 2 hours - grrrrr...) and didn't bother to do a relearn. Rather than go back, I bought the relearn tool and did it myself in about 3 minutes. The procedure is in the 2015 owner's manual, it might be in yours too.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
For $87, I think I prefer just remembering that front and rear are reversed. Kind of like a clock after daylight savings time, it will be right again eventually.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've reset my sensors a couple times by decreasing air pressure.

Each TPMS sensor has a unique identification code. Any time you rotate your vehicle's tires or replace one or more of the TPMS sensors, the identification codes will need to be matched to the new tire/wheel position. The sensors are matched to the tire/wheel positions in the following order: driver side front tire, passenger side front tire, passenger side rear tire, and driver side rear tire using a TPMS diagnostic tool. See your dealer for service.

The TPMS sensors can also be matched to each tire/wheel position by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure. If increasing the tire's air pressure, do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure indicated on the tire's sidewall.

To decrease air-pressure out of a tire you can use the pointed end of the valve cap, a pencil-style air pressure gage, or a key.

You have two minutes to match the first tire/wheel position, and five minutes overall to match all four tire/wheel positions. If it takes longer than two minutes, to match the first tire and wheel, or more than five minutes to match all four tire and wheel positions the matching process stops and you need to start over.

The TPMS sensor matching process is outlined below:

1. Set the parking brake.

2. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN with the engine off.

3. Use the MENU button to select the Vehicle Information Menu in the Driver Information Center (DIC). Use the arrow keys to scroll to the Tire Pressure screen.

4. Press the SET/CLR button to begin the sensor matching process.

A message asking if you are sure you want to begin this process should appear.

5. Press the SET/CLR button again to confirm the selection.

The horn sounds twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and the Tire Learning Active message displays on the DIC screen.

6. Start with the driver side front tire.

7. Remove the valve cap from the valve cap stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure for five seconds, or until a horn chirp sounds. The horn chirp, which may take up to 30 seconds to sound, confirms that the sensor identification code has been matched to this tire and wheel position.

8. Proceed to the passenger side front tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 7.

9. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 7.

10. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 7. The horn sounds two times to indicate the sensor identification code has been matched to the driver side rear tire, and the TPMS sensor matching process is no longer active. The Tire Learning Active message on the DIC display screen goes off.

11. Turn the ignition to LOCK/OFF.

12. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.

13. Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
I didn't know you can train the car just by adjusting the tire pressure. But I when out and purchased a TPMS reset tool, so if anyone wants to drive by and let me resync your system, I'm happy to of it. I've decided to be a rebel and stop rotating my tires. In my BMW a manhal, it claims that you don't save all that much tread and the act of having your tires spinning the opposite directions after your steel belts have settles can cause issues. I was tempted to sell my TPMs reset tool, but I figure I'll have a lifetime of cars ahead of me. Whether I ever rotate my tires again is another matter.

·
Administrator
20,116 Posts
I rotate my own tires. No need for a dealer visit, doesn't take 2 hours, and my tires get thoroughly inspected for metal things looking to create a flat, something I suspect few shops take the time to do.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Take it to any good tire store, they will reprogram if for you. If you do it yourself, invest in a relearn tool.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I had my OEM GY's swapped out for Bridgestone Driveguards at Costco last November. Whoever put on the new tires didn't bother to reset the TPMS sensors, so now my fronts and rears are swapped. Need to take the Volt into my local dealer to schedule a tire rotation so they can properly reset the sensors.

Besides the price and the actual tires, the Costco tire center experience was pretty craptacular. But they do offer a free road hazard warranty, which I'll be taking advantage of as I picked up a nail in one of the Driveguards shortly after I got them. They also offer free tire rotations, but if they're gonna mess up something simple like TPMS resets, I'll skip that.

·
4,860 Posts
I've reset my sensors a couple times by decreasing air pressure.
This only works on 2011 Volts (and possibly 2012 not certain). 2013 and above have a SW update that "fixes" this, unfortunately.

I used this air trick successfully many times on my 2011, but with my 2013 I needed to buy a relearn tool.

...and the act of having your tires spinning the opposite directions after your steel belts have settles can cause issues...
I just rotate rear to front/front to rear, I don't swap sides. The tires keeps rotating in the same direction they always have. ;)

·
Registered
784 Posts
It's a conspiracy

I don't need no stinkin re-learn tool, I have a brain and can learn where each tire and sensor are in relation to the display.

The removal of the built in ability from the early Volts was probably a conspiracy between GM and the re-learn tool companies. All you suckers are falling prey to their evil plot!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi all,
Does anyone know whether the relearn tool that worked on our '13 Volt will also work on our new '17 Volt?
you have to buy a re-re-learn tool to re-program your re-learn tool to re-learn how to re-learn the re-learn tool.

actually, I have no idea

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I love the title of this thread "Tire pressure sensors in wrong tires". I guess you need to take it back to the place that rotated them and tell them to take the sensors out of each tire and put them in the right place. :) Or you could do like I do and print out the instructions from the manual and give it to the mechanic before they do the rotation. That way they have no excuse.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Go to Harbor Freight buy a low profile floor jack for $75 and rotate your own tires. No more sitting in dealership coffee room wasting time.

·
Registered
520 Posts
In my BMW a manhal, it claims that you don't save all that much tread and the act of having your tires spinning the opposite directions after your steel belts have settles can cause issues. ...
Pure poppycock. Unless your tires are directional, there is no issue with cross-rotation.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts