GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had a new 2012 Volt for about 3 weeks. The TPMS indicator keeps coming on intermittently (at least once every time I drive it) saying the front right tire is not there! I mean it doesn't show a pressure of zero, it shows two dashes (--), all the other tires are fine. I have had it into the dealer several times and they have put in a new sensor but the problem persists.

When the error message is NOT on the tire shows the correct pressure so I know the tire is OK.

The dealer is still trying to figure it out.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Yes. I just had this problem a few hours after a tire rotation. Just like you say, two dashes.

The problem is that the TPMS sensor has lost communication. My dealer reprogrammed all four tires (which took one minute with a portable gadget that looked like a fancy walkie-talkie, while I sat in my Volt in their parking lot). It's been fine every since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. The first thing the dealer did was recalibrate all the sensors. But then the two dashes appeared again and the dealer put in a new sensor and I still got the 2 dashes after driving it a few miles. The mechanic took the tire off to make sure there were no punctures, which there weren't. The pressure appears to remain fairly stable when it shows on the dash so I don't think there is a real leak, there just appears to be something wrong (as you mentioned) in the TMPS communicating with the dashboard display.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Repaired - my TPMS intermittent contact and FOB reduced range

My 2012 started to intermittently lose contact with two tires (RF and LR) and the range for the FOB reduced immediately after my battery upgrade. Since it was two sensors at the same time, we knew it wasn't the sensors themselves...The dealer said they replaced the receiver on the vehicle, and now, everything is back to normal. Is your FOB range OK? When my range went down, I had to hold the FOB nearly against the handle of the door before the remote lock/unlock button on the door handle would work. Normally, I can be a few feet away from door.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, it is happening on my 2012 Volt too in the same manor. First the rear tires go away and then after a tire reset, the front passenger tire disappears. I have even see the indicator come back on line with the correct pressure. I went to my dealer and he pulled a service bulletin out that describes the loss of that plus the loss of the keyless entry system range. The FOB keyless transmitter now has limited range of less that 20 feet and won't let me in the back tailgate. I am waiting for the TPMS to fail one more time before I leave it at the dealer to give them a chance to repair it. I was told there is a common receive unit that receives the TPMS and FOB radio signals and it is the source of the problem. As an electronic engineer, I believe the receiver is failing due to a crapy component decreasing its range.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Yes, it is happening on my 2012 Volt too in the same manor. First the rear tires go away and then after a tire reset, the front passenger tire disappears. I have even see the indicator come back on line with the correct pressure. I went to my dealer and he pulled a service bulletin out that describes the loss of that plus the loss of the keyless entry system range. The FOB keyless transmitter now has limited range of less that 20 feet and won't let me in the back tailgate. I am waiting for the TPMS to fail one more time before I leave it at the dealer to give them a chance to repair it. I was told there is a common receive unit that receives the TPMS and FOB radio signals and it is the source of the problem. As an electronic engineer, I believe the receiver is failing due to a crapy component decreasing its range.

With the symptoms you describe, I would be asking your dealership to replace the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver since it is also responsible for RX key FOB along with TPSM...

·
Registered
15 Posts
You are absolutely correct according to the Volt mechanic at the dealership. He found the GM bulletin on this malfunction:

Today the TPMS failed once again on the rear tire and the Keyless entry range was also diminished. I took the Volt into the dealer and found the GM bulletin. It is #PIC5604C labeled "poor remote transmitter range/remote start Or TPM Indicator on - Dec 14, 2012"
The receiver for the wireless VOB and TPMS is called "the RCDLR module" and the bulletin said "Replace the RCDLR module"

My only question is that the RCDLR module the dealer is going to replace, and does it live in that black box stuck to the top of the windshield behind the mirror?

·
Registered
15 Posts
How do you get the RCDLR out of the black box? I don't want to rip it off the windshield, but would like to inspect the connections...

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
How do you get the RCDLR out of the black box? I don't want to rip it off the windshield, but would like to inspect the connections...

Inside Rearview Mirror Mount Plate Cover Replacement Procedure

1. From inside the vehicle, position the inside rearview up and away from the inside rearview mirror mount plate cover.

2. Grasp the top centre of the mounting plate cover push upward and pull rearward at the same time this will release the cover from the top retainers.

3. Pushing down until the cover fully releases from the mounting plate lower retainers.

Tip
The lower retainer must be engaged first before the two upper bars are attached.

FWIW: Above taken from pg. 339 of the service manual linked below in my signature...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you for the instructions from the manual. Very interesting receiver (RCDLR module). I believe a strong lightning strike near the windshield could easily take out the first IC (integrated circuit) rendering it to have little to no gain. The other cause for failure might be the heat on a hot Summer day cooking the receiver beyond its rating. Still waiting for the dealer to call me in for replacement of the module. Both TPMS and VOB are still weak and failing more every week. Most times the back hatch won't open now due to the poor range. How can one post a photo here or a diagram?

·
Registered
15 Posts
My dealer got me a new replacement RCDLR receiver yesterday and all is well now. Remote VOB and TPMS now function normally.
The Chevy dealer said there was a revision on the new RCDLR receiver.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Looks like it my 2012's turn. Just this morning running some errands I lost the right rear TMPS with the double dash displaying in the center display. I just had the tires rotated and TPMS locations re-set.

Rats after 18 months this is my FIRST flaw with our 2012 Volt. Just need to find time to take it to my dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have this issue, but it started the day I increased the pressure in all the tires. I had noticed an overall drop of a couple psi on all tires, (after my 1st month of ownership) so I added air all around, later, after about 30 highway miles, the LR tire showed the "--". It came back after awhile, still driving, and the warning message went away. It repeated 5 times during my trip. I still have good range on my fob, so I guess I'll head to the dealership for (maybe) a TPMS sensor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts