GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , i got a 2017 chevrolet volt and stock tire is 215 50 17 , I have heard different opinions , but i have a set of new tires 215 45 17 and was wondering if I could install this. There is not much difference in size but i dont wan to throw the speedometer off to much and rubbing and stuff. I am not sure what happens if you dont use stock tires. but again these are very close. any suggestions would be great , just dont want to buy a new set if I could install these. Thanks

:(

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Use this calculator. The calculator will tell you if the tires will fit, what difference is the fit from stock and how far out the speedo will be.

https://www.willtheyfit.com

Check the date on the used tires and don't use them if they are too old.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
661 Posts
One aspect of changing tires from recommended tires that this website does not address is the load rating of the tire. If the load rating is less than the original then it can be dangerous. A load rating vs pressure chart should be consulted in such a case to see if a higher pressure is required to meet the load of the car ( GVW/4). Ongoing the tire pressure must be verified after tire rotations etc where shops usually just reset tire pressure to the number listed on the doorframe. Volt owners are usually particular in any case on this issue because of range impacts.
Use this calculator. The calculator will tell you if the tires will fit, what difference is the fit from stock and how far out the speedo will be.

https://www.willtheyfit.com

Check the date on the used tires and don't use them if they are too old.

·
Registered
13,679 Posts
If those tires aren’t LRR, get ready for an EV range hit. You will have a smaller diameter, lose about 1 cm of ride height, be more susceptible to scraping the bottom of the car, and the tires will look just a bit lower profile, but not as dramatic as going from 17s to 18s.

I have Yokohama 225-45-R18s on custom rims on my gen1 Volt The speedo is a bit off by 2mph at highway speed, the range dropped a little, but they look awesome and stick better on the curves than the lightweight OEMs. I don’t go back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts