1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Bolt will still top out above $40k will all options. So what will people do? Buy a Bolt @ $40k or an M3 @$42k?

They probably won't compete that much with each other despite compare/contrast articles putting them together. After all, one is a Chevy and the other is a luxury non-German import from California.

With no ACC on Bolt it is off my list anyway.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Bolt will still top out above $40k will all options. So what will people do? Buy a Bolt @ $40k or an M3 @$42k?

They probably won't compete that much with each other despite compare/contrast articles putting them together. After all, one is a Chevy and the other is a luxury non-German import from California.

Rephrase: So what will people do? Buy a Bolt or wait to see what Tesla sells in the future?

The TM3 Show had three fiberglass mockups on Model S chassis, no charge ports, no instruments, nobody allowed to drive them.

It's not the car that Tesla will be selling the upcoming years. All you got was the "look" they are aiming at. Ford Fusion Style.

I believe General Motors will offer ACC that doesn't ram into other cars in the near future in all their models. But the beta software will not be available for crash testing like Tesla owners can.

The big test will be the CT6 SuperCruise. After that system is tested by the press, I guess we will see what GM is capable of. GM has better software than any other car company today.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
My 2012 Ampera would disagree.
Which car company has better software? I'm not talking Infotainment software, I'm talking safety and major systems software. ABS, transmission controls, stability control, emissions controls, etc.

·
2,356 Posts
ACC is an odd omission. I hope GM changes their mind and adds it, if not for the 2017 Bolt then for the 2018.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Which car company has better software? I'm not talking Infotainment software, I'm talking safety and major systems software. ABS, transmission controls, stability control, emissions controls, etc.
That is very true. And IBM supplies all their development software, especially Rational which I have used at work. The Volt has been the most famous project and is successful, now going through Gen 2.
https://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/photo/32903.wss
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/rational/announce/volt/

·
Registered
29 Posts
QUOTE]

Keep in mind a $42K M3 will sell for $42k, but a $40k bolt will sell for $35K, judging by volt discounts and incentives.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts

My guess is a Bolt EV for $40k will be better equipped than a TM3 for the same price. It is really hard to say since TM3 is still in concept phase.

I do think GM should market Autopilot features like Tesla, I think that is a big part of their appeal to some customers, although I personally have no interest in ACC or anything.

Ps, the M3, a car from BMW, starts at $64k, which I think will be direct competition with upper model TM3. I think people are underestimating how much the TM3 will cost, including Elon.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
GM has better software than any other car company today.
And we know this because of the thousands of vehicles sold to the public with advanced driver assistance systems? Or is it because of the clever way GM's software engineering geniuses made it so that the Volt allows Sport mode to be selected when running on battery, or when the battery has run down, but not while in Hold or Mountain Mode?

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
"Pre-production <Bolt EVs> have rolled off the line about six weeks ago. We are on schedule to begin production at the end of this year, with deliveries to start immediately afterward."

Very encouraging.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
"Pre-production <Bolt EVs> have rolled off the line about six weeks ago. We are on schedule to begin production at the end of this year, with deliveries to start immediately afterward."

Very encouraging.
So does that mean deliveries to start after the end of the year? If they're delivered in January 2017, I wonder if they're going to call it a 2018 Bolt EV. "The all new Chevy Bolt EV. So futuristic, the model year is even ahead of its time!" ;)

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
So does that mean deliveries to start after the end of the year? If they're delivered in January 2017, I wonder if they're going to call it a 2018 Bolt EV. "The all new Chevy Bolt EV. So futuristic, the model year is even ahead of its time!" ;)
LOL. If so, that would mean the first Bolt and the first TM3 may be delivered at the exact same time!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Things can change but it's been stated that DCFC, the display mirror and the birdseye camera are optional...

LE always on BT is standard, I'm not entirely sure of the benefit I guess it unlocks the door when you approach? You still have to grab the door handle, on most cars with push start the unlock button is located on the handle so BT isn't saving more than a millisecond of time...Now if it opened the door for you (which we know it doesn't) that would be awesome...

I give it kudos if it's including auto-braking standard...My guess is it will along with the rearview camera...I still think it needs GM's version of auto-pilot, supercruise...

·
2,356 Posts
The GM Canada website still says "available Fall 2016." The end of Fall can be defined as early as November 30 or late as December 20.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The GM Canada website still says "available Fall 2016." The end of Fall can be defined as early as November 30 or late as December 20.
Weren't the first Gen 2 Volts actually delivered to Canada?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Weren't the first Gen 2 Volts actually delivered to Canada?
They were; if I recall correctly, only by a few days...Could have something to do with how each country handle the unloading of freight from trains...

I believe there will be some delivers in 2016, they did fast track it after all...

As I predicted from the trim, Chevy changed the Volts "LTZ" to "Premier" and offers base LT and Premier on other models so I believe there will be two...Odd in that interview they gave the answer "not really" which isn't a "no" or "one trim only" leading me to believe there will be two...Perhaps the premier will add an updated stereo, leather, seat heaters, 360 camera and display camera along with self parking for $4K or $5k more...Hopefully they rethink their features/options by asking themselves "will this be compelling enough?"

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
2,356 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts