GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to have the car tinted because living in the south, it heats up in the sun quickly. This is bad for an electric car because it taxes the AC and uses energy unnecessarily (drains the battery faster).

There is some stippling at the top of the hatch window that keeps the rear seat passengers cool by reducing the sunlight shining directly on them.

However the tint guy said none of the available tint material would stick to the Teflon (bubbles might form). He recommended only tinting up to the point where the stippling begins. This would leave an unsightly line on the window and impact the looks of the car negatively. The tint should be consistent on all windows in my opinion to look good.

Has anyone else had this issue with the Volt and how can it addressed?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I’ll look tomorrow but I’m almost positive my tint covers the whole hatch window and it still looks great after over a year. I did go with the more expensive ceramic tint (well worth the added cost by the way)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine's 3M and covers the entire rear hatch window. Looks awesome. Had it done in Arizona. Helped a lot with interior heat while parked.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am in Miami with 5% tints. My tint guy was able to get it over the matrix without any issues. I will try to snap a pic later.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
661 Posts
I have 3-M crystalline 90% covering the entire window area of the hatch, been on there for 3 years now without a problem.

·
Registered
117 Posts
"Teflon" stippling? Seriously?
Auto windows have had this stippling for many, many years. It's not new technology. Serious tint shops have computer programs/machines that custom cut every window on any car. They no longer manually cut the material. I've got 4 cars, and every one has tinting that covers the stippling.

Find a different window tint guy. Your selling dealership might very well provide the service at a competitive rate, with a warranty..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Teflon" stippling? Seriously?
Auto windows have had this stippling for many, many years. It's not new technology. Serious tint shops have computer programs/machines that custom cut every window on any car. They no longer manually cut the material. I've got 4 cars, and every one has tinting that covers the stippling.

Find a different window tint guy. Your selling dealership might very well provide the service at a competitive rate, with a warranty..
Good advice. I went to the dealership and got it done with a pretty good guarantee. The earlier shop was a combination tint shop, car audio dealer-installer, car radar installer, etc. Maybe too many services under one roof to do all of them with high quality ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts