GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received an email with the subject line as the above title thread. Looks like the RemoteLink App was just testing ground for the eventual myChevrolet mobile app. The myChevrolet app replaces RemoteLink but the email does not indicate when it will no longer work. Username and passwords from RemoteLink will work on myChevrolet app.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The Parking Location function in Mychevrolet is useless, it doesn't send the location to Google Maps so there is no way to navigate back to your car if OK Google isn't already displaying a Parking Location card. I tried to use the parking location function at a mall, it told me that my car was parked near the mall (which has thousands of parking spaces) but there is no way to navigate to your particular space.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
..it told me that my car was parked near the mall
Since it uses GPS and not a dropped flag, yeah, it won't be that accurate. Wanting it to work some other way is a suggestion not a defect. Integration with Google is probably not even in the design spec.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't been pleased with RemoteLink app since they changed it from the original version. the original version had a black background and 3d type graphics. It really was nice. When they changed it, it was like going from a beautiful painting to a stick figure drawing.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
ios 10.0.2 will show on iPhone Apple maps your "parked car"
and both onstar app working in 10.1b3

----
may need to be bluetooth paired to Volt - I did not check this -

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Parking Location function in Mychevrolet is useless, it doesn't send the location to Google Maps so there is no way to navigate back to your car if OK Google isn't already displaying a Parking Location card. I tried to use the parking location function at a mall, it told me that my car was parked near the mall (which has thousands of parking spaces) but there is no way to navigate to your particular space.
If you parked in a parking garage it probably interfered with the GPS.

·
Registered
355 Posts
One of my biggest complaints with RemoteLink, other than it doesn't work half the time, is the map feature.

When I first got my Volt (in early 2012) it used Google Maps. When it switched to Bing it became steaming pile of poop. Try searching for just about anything and it won't find it. Such a hassle when trying to navigate to a new destination (have to pull up Google Maps on my phone or computer, then enter the full address into Bing for it to find it)..then FINGERS crossed, try to send the location to my car....which take about 3 tries.

Sadly, this is still easier easier than trying to use the navigation screens in the car, which always seem to default to NY (even though I live in MI), non QWERTY keyboard, etc. Huge fan of the Volt, but WTF GM? Can't wait to replace this mess with a Android Auto.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My experience with the MyChevrolet App has been great. I used the RemoteLink when I first acquired my 2014 Volt and it was slow and very buggy. Had to call OnStar numerous times to get it working. MyChevrolet App has been pretty much flawless for me. I use it mainly for checking vehicle status and remote starts. It's faster than the RemoteLink App and much more reliable.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
If you parked in a parking garage it probably interfered with the GPS.
It was a giant outdoor parking lot. It's not that it can't locate the car, the problem is that it's useless because it doesn't transfer the information to Google Maps which would make it easy to actually find your car. Transferring the information to Google Maps is trivial, the fact that they don't do it is inexcusable.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I stayed with the original OnStar app as I preferred both the look and feel of it, and it includes some features not in the new app... I saw little to recommend the MyChevrolet app... I've also found little difference in speed or reliability between the two.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I stayed with the original OnStar app as I preferred both the look and feel of it, and it includes some features not in the new app... I saw little to recommend the MyChevrolet app... I've found little difference in speed or reliability between the two.
Think you are missing the point and i quote - The new myChevrolet mobile app is replacing RemoteLink.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Think you are missing the point and i quote - The new myChevrolet mobile app is replacing RemoteLink.
Wait, but the myChevrolet app was so slow to start and navigate screens when I tried it back in July. I *LOVE* the RemoteLink app from Onstar since it's so fast without useless animations between screens. The myChevrolet app was also huge (like, dozens of MB) while the RemoteLink app was tiny (less than 10MB).

I really hope they don't ditch the RemoteLink app. So nice to be walking to the parking garage and quickly tapping out a remote start command with PIN on the RemoteLink. With the myChevrolet app, I would have to wait for the animations to stop before I could continue tapping away.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Wait, but the myChevrolet app was so slow to start and navigate screens when I tried it back in July. I *LOVE* the RemoteLink app from Onstar since it's so fast without useless animations between screens. The myChevrolet app was also huge (like, dozens of MB) while the RemoteLink app was tiny (less than 10MB).

I really hope they don't ditch the RemoteLink app. So nice to be walking to the parking garage and quickly tapping out a remote start command with PIN on the RemoteLink. With the myChevrolet app, I would have to wait for the animations to stop before I could continue tapping away.
What are you talking about, there are no animations in the MyChevrolet app. The MyChevrolet app looks just like the OnStar app with the addition of a couple of minor features.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I must be picky or my phone is terrible with the fading animation. FYI, I have an Android phone.

When I start the RemoteLink app from cold (e.g., it hasn't been cached by Android), I can count 1 second before presented with the "Key Fob, Vehicle Status" main menu. Tapping on Key Fob there is an animation that lasts 1/4 second where the Key Fob menu slides up from the bottom of the screen.

When I start the myChevrolet app from cold, I can count 2 seconds before presented with the main menu and after tapping the Key Fob menu item, there is a fading animation that lasts 1 second where the Key Fob menu slides in from the right of the screen.

With the RemoteLink app, I can tap out the entire sequence to precondition (including PIN) at my natural tapping rhythm. With the myChevrolet app, I have to pause unnaturally or make mistakes when I rattle off all the taps in one go.

The additional features of car manual and "Offers and Connections" I don't find very useful.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Turn off animations on your phone, that's your problem, it's not the app. If you don't already have it installed you should install NovaLauncher. Then under Look and Feel set Scroll speed, Animation speed and App animation to "Faster than Light"

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Save your hope. It is a done deal.

Not sure what animations you refer to. I have a Samsung and after login I select the next feature like KeyFob and it immediately slides into place.

·
Registered
677 Posts
No, Remotelink will remain functional for at least the foreseeable future ("at least through 2017, and probably longer"). They will co-exist. Thus, you can use whichever one you like best (or both, should you so desire).

·
Registered
322 Posts
OK mychevy app is buggy is hell. Slow to update and get the charge status. Doesn't show charge start and stop times. Going back to remote link for now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts