GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I’m trying to set my stop/start charge times based upon my utility companies time of day electric rate structure. It seems straightforward as I can adjust the stop time easily enough but there are no adjustment buttons for the start time.
Am I missing something really obvious or could it be a software bug?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Hi there,
I’m trying to set my stop/start charge times based upon my utility companies time of day electric rate structure. It seems straightforward as I can adjust the stop time easily enough but there are no adjustment buttons for the start time.
What is the model year of your Volt? For the 2017 Volt see pages 120-126 of the 2017 Volt Owner's Manual. From the Delayed Charge Mode status screen, press Charge Rate Information. Then you can select one of the following:

A) Charge Completion: Earliest Possible/Latest Possible. "If the vehicle calculates that the cost would be the same for the various charge modes based on the charge rates selected (Peak, Mid-Peak, Off-Peak), select to finish the charge at the earliest possible time or the latest possible time. Use the Earliest setting to charge as soon as possible if there is a planned departure prior to the (previously set) scheduled departure time. Use the Latest setting to optimize energy usage (Using the Latest setting means that the Volt's battery will already be warm from charging so there is no need to additionally warm the battery in cold temperatures.)"

B) Electric Rate Schedule

C) Charge Rate Preference.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hi there,
Could you post some pictures of the info screen that show the problem?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Refer to the manual as mentioned above, but note that you are not programming a start time like it is a lamp timer. You program your planned departure time, and also your electric company's rate periods, and the car figures out when to start charging, which will change from day to day based mostly on how low your battery is and the other data.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi there,
If you are referring to setting start stop times under electric rate schedule the start time is the stop time of the previous period. You need to adjust the previous period/ Yes it is not straightforward and user friendly.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I set my START time aprox sun set as I park in covered open space - ( I disable schedule in winter)

May be usefull if we post a setting picture mine are 7 years old

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!
Yes, you’re right. You need to set the stop times and the car will determine the start time based upon the previous stop time.
Not intuitive but it works once you get the formula. Better manual instructions would help too.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
but that is the finish by x time settings not the time of day charging settings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts