GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had my extra meter installed just over 2 months and I have noticed something my bill for on peak is twice as much as my off peak.

I have watched/received txt messages from onstar letting me know my car is charged so it's not my cars charging. I contacted my local electric company they are saying it's the two charging stations in my garage that my wife and I use it's feeding the on peak times.

Has anyone else seen this? If so what have you done to stop this from going on?

It's adding $10 more a month to my bill which should be only $19 for the both of use now it's $29

·
Registered
524 Posts
You have 2 Volts? Your signature at the bottom of your post says only "14 Black Volt".
Just got my DTE bill and my EV total was $34 for 2 Volts (310 kWh off peak and 1 on peak). DTE recently took the ability to monitor my 2nd meter off their web site. The Insight app will give the total for both meters (most of the time). It's easy to see 3 to 4 kWh with my household usage.
You do have both cars programmed to charge off peak? My '17 charges 11pm to 3:15 am, my '15 3:30am to 7:30 am.
My '17 was charging immediately due to the Onstar app overriding the car settings.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figure that I don't drive my wife's Volt so no need to add it?

I have both cars being charged by 7am and one at 430am so I'm safe on that side and I get the txt message letting me know.

I can't believe DTE is saying that it's from my chargers I think it's a bunch of BS

Your '17 are you leasing or did you buy it. If you leased what deal did you get I'm finding it harder and harder to find good deals in MI

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You do have both cars programmed to charge off peak? My '17 charges 11pm to 3:15 am, my '15 3:30am to 7:30 am.
My '17 was charging immediately due to the Onstar app overriding the car settings.
I actually have set my cars for the following departure times our start of OffPeak looks to be the same as yours at 11pm

My Volt finishes at 430am
Wife's Volt finishes at 730am

Both of these were configured from the OnStar App I always get my txt messages once it's finished charging never have a txt during OnPeak hours

·
Registered
53 Posts
Of course different utility companies have different TOD plans, but often the highest tier (daytime) is more than double the lowest tier nighttime). Charging your cars over night is great, but if you still use a great amount of electricity during the high tier time I guess it's possible to have a higher bill than before getting the TOD deal? Do you run electric heat, or AC, during the day? Electric clothes dryer? Electric stove / oven? Electric hot water tank? Dishwasher with electric dryer option on? 65" plasma TV?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Of course different utility companies have different TOD plans, but often the highest tier (daytime) is more than double the lowest tier nighttime). Charging your cars over night is great, but if you still use a great amount of electricity during the high tier time I guess it's possible to have a higher bill than before getting the TOD deal? Do you run electric heat, or AC, during the day? Electric clothes dryer? Electric stove / oven? Electric hot water tank? Dishwasher with electric dryer option on? 65" plasma TV?
My second meter is only housing 2 chargers no other items are on the circuit.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
What EVSEs are you using? They will all use some power when idle. I don't know what your rates are, but if they are high enough, the standby power could be costing you.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Something is using a bit of power, the question is what is it? I would check each circuit in your panel(s) with a clamp on ammeter, if you don't have one, many times you can find them to loan. Our public library has a program to use a Killawatt instrument.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What EVSEs are you using? They will all use some power when idle. I don't know what your rates are, but if they are high enough, the standby power could be costing you.
I'm using a ClipperCreek HCS-40-32 amp the corp site says it gives up 2watts I did the math below

My single charger put's up 2Watts a day which for the past month would be 744hrs with it on 24hrs a day it's 1.488kwh even if my second charger does double that it only equals to 2.976kwh so a total of 4.464kwh they are charging me 63kwh

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Your tod peak rates for both generation and delivery are probably higher that your standard rates were prior to installing the second meter. Plus there is probably a monthly fee for the second meter. Your bill could be higher than you anticipated as a result of those factors rather than because of a phantom load. Best thing would be to check monthly kw-hrs reported by the new meter and see if that jives with your EVSE usage for the same period.

KNS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts