GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you don't have peak/off peak electric billing, you still might get it prior to owning your Volt. I got a recorded message saying my power may be off for a few minutes this week while new meters are being installed.

http://na.sensus.com/Module/Catalog/File/electric?id=363

The meters are really for remote reading, but they can also do "time of day" billing, to encourge nitetime car charging.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Whether or not your utility ever offers time of day billing will be determined by your utilities hourly load profile, their generating resources and how they are fueled, and their whoesale contract provisions between them and any third party energy suppliers.

To further complicate the situation, the type of generation will also have alot to do with it. For example, if your utility is investing heavily in solar, they may want to keep their peak load hours in the middle of the day when the sun is shing. If they are investing heavily in wind, they may want to keep their peaks during the hours when the wind is often the strongest. On the other hand if (like here in the Northwest), a major source of current is hydro based, the utility may have little of no interest in offering off-peak rates because hydro generators are easy to turn on and off as needed. The strongest insentives for off-peak billing will come in heavily populated utility areas where coal is the base load generation and they have to buy expensive peak time power from third parties or start up expensive natural gas generators to meet peak demand.

So you see, whether you get off-peak rates will just depend. Ask your utility if you want to know for sure.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I posted a very long and informative thread on this. I emailed the forum admin and suggested he might incorporate time of use into FAQs. I heard back nothing. I'll bttt the thread.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
1 - 4 of 4 Posts