GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at 11300 miles. I think it's time to get serious about that extended warranty. I see two viable options: Justin @ Bradley Chevrolet (Parker AZ) and Vaden Chevrolet (Savannah GA). I'm also going to ask my dealer but I don't expect a lot of support in the pricing arena (on the other hand, I don't mind throwing them some business if they can match).

GMPP Major Guard seems like the plan of choice, but what I can't seem to figure out is what is covered (and more specifically what ISN'T covered) specific to a Volt? HV Battery system and charger, for example? I had a problem (already fixed under warranty) where the on-board charging system got cooked by a voltage spike (that's the suspicion, at least). Would that be covered under the GMPP plan?

I tried searching here for a good message but given the power of search on this forum I'm kinda hopeful someone remembers something better than I can.

·
Super Moderator
6,434 Posts
I'm at 11300 miles. I think it's time to get serious about that extended warranty. I see two viable options: Justin @ Bradley Chevrolet (Parker AZ) and Vaden Chevrolet (Savannah GA). I'm also going to ask my dealer but I don't expect a lot of support in the pricing arena (on the other hand, I don't mind throwing them some business if they can match).

GMPP Major Guard seems like the plan of choice, but what I can't seem to figure out is what is covered (and more specifically what ISN'T covered) specific to a Volt? HV Battery system and charger, for example? I had a problem (already fixed under warranty) where the on-board charging system got cooked by a voltage spike (that's the suspicion, at least). Would that be covered under the GMPP plan?

I tried searching here for a good message but given the power of search on this forum I'm kinda hopeful someone remembers something better than I can.
Check out this thread (in ChrisC's FAQ). In the first post there is a link that has an GM extended warranty FAQ.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?5965-Extended-warranty-options

FAQ for Majorquard via links above: http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/majorguard.html

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I was thinking about the extended warranty but decided to wait because while waiting longer costs more you can add more years and/or miles. The miles and years run from when you get GMPP. In my case I was more interested in years than miles. The longest warranty I could get after one year was 7 years, which was also the longest warranty I could get after three years. Since 3+7 gave me longer coverage than 1+7 or 0+7 I decided to wait until the 3rd year and get a 84/70. That will give me 10 years, two more years than if I got the warranty before the end of the first year. YMMV. Just depends on how long you intend to keep the car. If you're not sure, waiting until 3yr/36K to make that decision may give you more visibility.

I think just about everything is covered except for stuff like buttons or knobs and maintenance items. I decided to go with the $0. The difference in price wasn't that great and I didn't want to get into a situation where there was a big argument over whether Fix 2 and Fix 3 were separate from an original Fix 1 that didn't get the job done. Obviously that's just one way to look at it.

FYI I had similar coverage to GMPP with my insurance company on my other cars and GMPP is a much better deal. I was surprised at how much better and cheaper it was.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Extended Warranty

I am ordinarily very much against extended warranties. That said, I did get one. The dealership in Savanagh GA seemed to have MUCH better prices and I went with that. Because of mileage, my warranty will probably run out at 6 years, but by then whatever breaks after that is probably due to normal wear and tear (I intend to keep the Volt for at least 10 years). I do think that this car is very solid, possibly over engineered, and many things are covered by the standard warranty. Still, there are things that are not on standard cars, like the A/C, the brakes. The "transmission" is presumably covered by the standard drive train warranty, but if it fails after the standard warranty it will be enormously expensive (it contains the two drive motors), and for now is not a standard part. Let's hope in a few years it WILL be fairly standard, but just in case...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Is the GMPP Major Guard transferable? I'm finding differing info online, has anyone with an actual contract confirmed this?

Thanks

·
Registered
484 Posts
Is the GMPP Major Guard transferable? I'm finding differing info online, has anyone with an actual contract confirmed this?

Thanks
The FAQ linked to by scottf200 has a sample agreement, which says $50 transfer fee, must transfer within 30 days.

·
Registered
33 Posts
One other place to try is Fichtner Chevrolet, ask for Dennis. He is the go to guy for GMPP warranties on the Corvette Forum.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
One other place to try is Fichtner Chevrolet, ask for Dennis. He is the go to guy for GMPP warranties on the Corvette Forum.
BINGO, I've purchased 4 GMPP's from Dennis over the years and my son is buying one for his 2010 Camaro SS. I've shopped them all and Dennis beats them all. BTW I'm AFVETTE on the Corvette Forum.

·
Registered
718 Posts
what are the prices for the GMPPs on the volt? (if its not something discussed in public, can someone PM it)?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am ordinarily very much against extended warranties. That said, I did get one. The dealership in Savanagh GA seemed to have MUCH better prices and I went with that. Because of mileage, my warranty will probably run out at 6 years, but by then whatever breaks after that is probably due to normal wear and tear (I intend to keep the Volt for at least 10 years). I do think that this car is very solid, possibly over engineered, and many things are covered by the standard warranty. Still, there are things that are not on standard cars, like the A/C, the brakes. The "transmission" is presumably covered by the standard drive train warranty, but if it fails after the standard warranty it will be enormously expensive (it contains the two drive motors), and for now is not a standard part. Let's hope in a few years it WILL be fairly standard, but just in case...
In 8-10 years, it may be that rebuilding / refurb one of those trans may not be a big deal. Maybe Jasper will be covering them by then. The motors should be good for many years and miles, but things like clutch packs and bearings are basic transmission stuff those guys see every day. Its just a matter of how it comes apart and goes together.

Myself, I'll decide on the ext. warranty when I get that far, I guess. Who knows, maybe I can flip it to some Canadian, and get a nice lucky '13 in the color I really wanted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
BINGO, I've purchased 4 GMPP's from Dennis over the years and my son is buying one for his 2010 Camaro SS. I've shopped them all and Dennis beats them all. BTW I'm AFVETTE on the Corvette Forum.
Hey Bazinga.....great minds think alike. Volts and Vettes. I am LMBZ4ME on the corvette forum.

·
Registered
915 Posts
This is Dennis's email: [email protected] you can email him with your Vin and Odometer and he will respond with pricing. You may also want to point out this forum.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
This is Dennis's email: [email protected] you can email him with your Vin and Odometer and he will respond with pricing. You may also want to point out this forum.
Have a current photo of your VIN and ODOMETER ready to send him when he responds. You'll be amazed at his quote(s) on a GMPP. The 4 year, 48K ZERO deductible on my 07 Z06 cost me $1190 back in 2009. My son is buying a 72 month, 72K mileage ZERO deductible for his 2010 Camaro SS for $2005. I'll be interested to see how much a Volt will cost considering the costly battery/drive train.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts