1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
165 Posts
The media only has a narrative now of EV=failure. The mainstream media (including Fox) will not report a news story about a BEV or EREV if it has positive spin. How many reported on the record sales in August versus the ones that reported on the plant shutdown to retool for the Impala? I would say 5 to 1 negative to positive. The only place where I see actual reporting, good and bad, are sites like Inside EVs and Autoblog Green.

I used to really enjoy Jalopnik. But they really seem to have an ax to grind with the Volt. Just yesterday in their "Daily Shift" rundown of car stories for the day, there was a section on what a great deal the lease on the Volt is. But of course they spun it as, "nobody's buying them, so they are having to give them away!" The comments were predictably awful.

In fact, the comments sections are about enough to make me want to quit the internet. There was a thread on reddit.com this week talking about how the Volt commercials suck. Predictably, the comments section quickly devolved in to the Volt catches on fire, it's a piece of junk that's so rare no mechanic will know how to work on it, and it's so awful that they stopped making them. Me and another Volt owner were defending the Volt, but we were both accused of being paid as "plants" from GM. It's ridiculous and extremely frustrating.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
While I agree that the media tends to have enjoy stressing the negatives, GM is partially to blame as well.
They came out with estimates of sales for 2011 and 2012 that far exceeded their grasp. They have been getting much better lately, but they gave the detractors a lot of ammo.

As for Jalopnik, they are hacks. They make emotionally charged comments for no other reason than to get a reaction. little better than trolls IMO.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Publications like Time and the Wall Street Journal don't care or know a thing about cars. For them, it is simply an extension of their f***ed up politics.

Thank you,

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
No, sir. They will be manufactured in Japan and assembled in Tennessee. Then, the profits will return to Japan.
Well, the battery and car will be at least assembled in TN. Where the parts will come from is another matter. Given Nissan's policy of dollarization I'd expect they'd want as much as possible built outside of Japan. I guess we'll find out when we see the first Monroney and see how close they come to matching the Volt's 46%.

·
Super Moderator
6,245 Posts
I saw this in my google news list the other day. 45K is pretty significant IMHO. The USA situation (gas $, charger $, like for larger & better looking vehicles) are not going to let this car's sales grow. Other countries have different situations (gas $) and opinions (looks vs function).

http://www.caradvice.com.au/189734/nissan-leaf-holden-volt-war-words-local-evs/

Visiting Australia last week, Nissan global vice president Andy Palmer told CarAdvice the real acid test for full electric cars such as his company’s Nissan Leaf comes next year when production starts in the US and UK in addition to Japan.
<snip>
“We have sold 45,000 Leafs globally, so it terms of overall sales the (pure) EV is way ahead.”

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just hope the imbeciles we have in Congress don't kill the incentives too soon. The EVs and supporting infrastructure are just starting to gain traction.

I still don't like burning oil for transportation. For the "you''re still poluting with your coal powered car" detractors, there is a lot more coal to leverage, and at lease we aren't importing coal from countries who would just as soon see us dead. Besides, when was the last time a massive "coal spill" made the headlines?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just hope the imbeciles we have in Congress don't kill the incentives too soon. The EVs and supporting infrastructure are just starting to gain traction.

I still don't like burning oil for transportation. For the "you''re still poluting with your coal powered car" detractors, there is a lot more coal to leverage, and at lease we aren't importing coal from countries who would just as soon see us dead. Besides, when was the last time a massive "coal spill" made the headlines?
Well, to be fair... There is mountain top removal, strip mining, acid rain, black lung, cave-ins and unscrupulous mining owners who ignore safety regs and treat their miners like chattel. The Coal industry has a long history of human rights abuses and disregard for the environment. Try a double feature of Matewan and October Sky sometime.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
EV's are the only cars that can run on an "all of the above" energy source: nukes, hydo, natural gas, coal, wind, oil, solar, etc. The Volt can tap these via two energy streams: electric grid, gasoline stations. How cool is that?

However, the average person likely has a hard time understanding that, and are wary of something so different. But this will change over time. The Leaf sales show the public has a way to go yet before accepting single fuel EV's compared to dual-fueled Volts that address range anxiety.

·
Registered
59 Posts
For the "you''re still poluting with your coal powered car" detractors, there is a lot more coal to leverage, and at lease we aren't importing coal from countries who would just as soon see us dead. Besides, when was the last time a massive "coal spill" made the headlines?
Well the coal argument is a lie here in California. We generate 71% of our own electricity and only 1.7% of that is coal (see table below). And even if the other 29% were sourced of half coal (which it's much lower), thats only 17% coal. I love throwing this in the face of my co-workers that feel the need to use coal in any type of debate about the use of the Volt. It's one of those items that unless verified through a factual source, will erroneously permeate the argument. Drives me crazy!! Happens all the time in politics....throw out a quib and a certain amount of people will believe it as fact.

Happy Volting......

Electricity (2010) In-State Generation Source
Natural Gas -53.4%
Nuclear - 15.7%
Hydro - 14.6%
Coal-1.7%
Renewable - 14.6%

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Well the coal argument is a lie here in California. We generate 71% of our own electricity and only 1.7% of that is coal (see table below).
I forget where, but someone on here posted a link to a blog that had a map of the United States that listed each state by how clean its power sources were. This was in reference to EVs, and how clean they are in comparison to their ICE counterparts. I want to say that there is also a chart listing that. For some states, it is true that EVs are almost as dirty (maybe even, in some cases dirtier) than their ICE counterparts, but to me, that says more about the need to clean up the power grid than the need to stick to ICE cars over EVs.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Well, the battery and car will be at least assembled in TN. Where the parts will come from is another matter. Given Nissan's policy of dollarization I'd expect they'd want as much as possible built outside of Japan. I guess we'll find out when we see the first Monroney and see how close they come to matching the Volt's 46%.
Nissan's "policy of dollarization" is to grab as many American dollars as they can and send them back to Japan.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I forget where, but someone on here posted a link to a blog that had a map of the United States that listed each state by how clean its power sources were. This was in reference to EVs, and how clean they are in comparison to their ICE counterparts. I want to say that there is also a chart listing that. For some states, it is true that EVs are almost as dirty (maybe even, in some cases dirtier) than their ICE counterparts, but to me, that says more about the need to clean up the power grid than the need to stick to ICE cars over EVs.
Nationally, the #1 fuel for power plants is now natural gas. Coal has dropped to 2nd place. Of course this varies regionally. But even if coal was predominant, it's still cleaner than having the Volts using their ICE. There are links to studies somewhere in here.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
As you'd expect, the Volt gets dragged into the discussion as well, "The other plug-in most often mentioned in the same breath as the Leaf—the Chevy Volt—hasn’t been a runaway hit either. But at least sales are growing."

No surprise, anti-EV commentors rejoice with I told you so's and display their usual ignorance, while Leaf owners disagree with the article.

http://business.time.com/2012/09/07/is-it-time-to-declare-the-nissan-leaf-a-flop/?iid=biz-main-lede
Time is a far left magazine. When did they stop drinking the kool aid?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Nationally, the #1 fuel for power plants is now natural gas. Coal has dropped to 2nd place. Of course this varies regionally. But even if coal was predominant, it's still cleaner than having the Volts using their ICE. There are links to studies somewhere in here.

The same can’t be said of the Leaf, and the most obvious reason why is so-called “range anxiety.” That’s the worry drivers have when behind the wheel of a car that could run out of juice when a recharging station is nowhere nearby. Owners of the Volt, which runs on electric and gas power, experience no such anxiety—which is probably one of the reasons they chose a Volt over a Leaf in the first place.

"The same can’t be said of the Leaf, and the most obvious reason why is so-called “range anxiety.” That’s the worry drivers have when behind the wheel of a car that could run out of juice when a recharging station is nowhere nearby. Owners of the Volt, which runs on electric and gas power, experience no such anxiety—which is probably one of the reasons they chose a Volt over a Leaf in the first place."

This seems quite fair.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts