GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I wanted to get the community's opinion regarding the diagnosis of a noise I have been hearing from the driver side -near the wheel well (best i can describe it). The noise is prevalent during EV(presummeably more noticeable because of the quietness). It sounds like a ticking humming noise. It gets pretty annoying when you are driving and leave the radio off. Anyways, here is what the dealership had to say after we took the car for a test run to reproduce the sound.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7YdHMmOWvOkTUpRWjRMVlBLbjIyQjlqWU0wVkVfOTc2YllJ

I was also there for the backfire type of noise I have been hearing from the exhaust. per GM's service bulletin (PI:5518A)- GM is working on repair at this time.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Are you sure you're not hearing two noises combined? The ticking noise I have no clue, but the humming noise might be the pedestrian warning which is a constant sound when below 20mph (I think). The hum sounds like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-l3VH3EZb0

Sad to hear you also have the misfire issue. I couldn't stand it anymore and traded for a Bolt. If you do get it fixed, please let us know how it went!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I wanted to get the community's opinion regarding the diagnosis of a noise I have been hearing from the driver side -near the wheel well (best i can describe it). The noise is prevalent during EV(presummeably more noticeable because of the quietness). It sounds like a ticking humming noise. It gets pretty annoying when you are driving and leave the radio off. Anyways, here is what the dealership had to say after we took the car for a test run to reproduce the sound.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7YdHMmOWvOkTUpRWjRMVlBLbjIyQjlqWU0wVkVfOTc2YllJ

I was also there for the backfire type of noise I have been hearing from the exhaust. per GM's service bulletin (PI:5518A)- GM is working on repair at this time.
I may have the same thing that has just begun on my 10 month old 2017. However for mine I have not noticed any hum, but definitely what I would describe as ticking noise, and then most noticeable around town in EV mode, with the radio off. Seems to be most noticeable when passing over minor road imperfections (expansion joints etc.) and when accelerating or braking. Initially I thought this was from the left front suspension - but I am now thinking it might be coming from inside the drivers door ??

·
Registered
10 Posts
The ticking noise may be caused by a (1) nail in the tire, (2) a cracked wheel, (3) if you have one, a mis-installed or cracked wheel cover, or (4) something caught in the wheel well which is making contact with the wheel. An inspection appears appropriate!

We just fixed a ticking, clicking noise on another car by correctly re-installing the wheel covers. We went through the other alternatives before discovering this.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Don't hold your breath on this one. We've all been waiting a long time as the "work" on a repair.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts