GM Volt Forum banner

Ticked off at the state of IL

2156 Views 31 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  warhorse
Purchased car in March and went straight to DMV to register.
Got charged a motor fuel tax as DMV deemed the Volt an EV.
They sent my stuff off to the state and plates were to come in the mail.
4 mos later had to go back in to get a longer temp tag as they hadn't come in yet.
2 weeks later they send me a letter with all the paperwork stating that DMV forgot to charge me for a title transfer fee or something like that. Sent a new check in with all the paperwork.
New plates and sticker come in about August.
Wheew...thought I was done.

A week ago the state sends me a letter stating my plates don't match the body style and it's illegal so go to DMV.
Hand the pile of papers to DMV and come to find out, Illinois doesn't see the VOLT as an EV. Since it has a gas engine range extender, they classify it as a hybrid. (everybody is flat clueless if this is a new classification or not). They really gloss over when you try to explain the engine is in no way conected to the tires through a driveline.
They proceed to issue me new passenger car plates. I asked about the fuel tax over charge and DMV doesn't do refunds, call this ### for reimbursement.
Called than ### for reimbursement and since it has been over 6 months I have to submit a special small claims reimbursement to the state.
Everybody is so happy to help me to call someone else, no one takes responsibility, they are all sorry this happened, even though its not their fault, and they hope I have a good rest of my day.
Reactions: Debbie H.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
3,882 Posts
in Texas if you can't charge the Volt and have to run 100% in MM mode using only gas they will not do an inspection
so no yearly window car registration sticker.

------
And NO -- black tape over the engine light will not work :)

• Haha
Reactions: Cloudnine
1 - 1 of 1 Posts