GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased car in March and went straight to DMV to register.
Got charged a motor fuel tax as DMV deemed the Volt an EV.
They sent my stuff off to the state and plates were to come in the mail.
4 mos later had to go back in to get a longer temp tag as they hadn't come in yet.
2 weeks later they send me a letter with all the paperwork stating that DMV forgot to charge me for a title transfer fee or something like that. Sent a new check in with all the paperwork.
New plates and sticker come in about August.
Wheew...thought I was done.

A week ago the state sends me a letter stating my plates don't match the body style and it's illegal so go to DMV.
Hand the pile of papers to DMV and come to find out, Illinois doesn't see the VOLT as an EV. Since it has a gas engine range extender, they classify it as a hybrid. (everybody is flat clueless if this is a new classification or not). They really gloss over when you try to explain the engine is in no way conected to the tires through a driveline.
They proceed to issue me new passenger car plates. I asked about the fuel tax over charge and DMV doesn't do refunds, call this ### for reimbursement.
Called than ### for reimbursement and since it has been over 6 months I have to submit a special small claims reimbursement to the state.
Everybody is so happy to help me to call someone else, no one takes responsibility, they are all sorry this happened, even though its not their fault, and they hope I have a good rest of my day.

·
Administrator
23,029 Posts
My 2011 Volt has never been classified as an EV in IL and I still need to do the EPA testing.

Sorry for the small claims hassle...

·
Registered
312 Posts
There are many locations that require vehicles with internal combustion engines to continue to meet emissions limit requirements in order to be legally used on public roads in the state. Does the Volt have an ICE?
There are some areas (not MA just yet) that have alternative tax structures for electrically power vehicles that use public roads yet don't pay via the tax collected at the fuel pump. Does the Volt meet that 'electrically powered vehicle' definition?
I'm still subject to the annual state emission check-test for the 3/4 of the car that's ICE. I have no reason to expect that I won't also be subject to any future road use fee that might be imposed on the other 3/4 of the car that is grid electric.
I'd hate to be solo in the HOV lane when the battery runs out. What was a legal use as a single occupant in a BEV is instantly illegal as the ICE starts.

In MA it is also a hybrid. DMV doesn't care if its series, parallel, what battery technology, any technical stuff.
I have EV plates on my 14 gen1 at the recommendation of my insurance agent. The plates are no added cost above the standard issue passenger plates, and to date, have no perks associated. The recommendation-suggestion to apply for the "EV" designation was solely to be a means of providing some basic level of notification to any potential first responders attending to an accident that there is a high voltage electric source present and to use added protection while assisting in extrication.

·
Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (added back-up camera! :)
591 Posts
I'm still subject to the annual state emission check-test for the 3/4 of the car that's ICE. I have no reason to expect that I won't also be subject to any future road use fee that might be imposed on the other 3/4 of the car that is grid electric.
hold on... you have 1.5 Volts? (3/4 + 3/4) ;) :p

• Haha
Reactions: uchual and dvb

·
Registered
340 Posts
Illinois Sec. of State is the worst. My tale of woe....(not about a Volt..).

While living in Iowa, I bought a nice used Sea Ray from an Illinois owner. The boat trailer was registered in Illinois, which is a title and registration state for small trailers. I registered it in Iowa, which is a registration only state, no title. The registration did not show the weight of the trailer. Then I moved to Illinois.

I took the Iowa registration in to the ILL S of S to title/register the boat trailer. Lady looks at the Iowa registration and says, I cannot title this because this registration does not show the weight. I don't know what class trailer it is. I show her the previous Illinois title (Iowa didn't take it). Original title. VINs match. Shows the weight/class. Here's everything you need.

No can do. Now I am told to take the trailer to a weigh station, explain my situation and they will be happy to allow me to take the trailer off the car, occupy their scale and take up their time. While my boat sits on a public ramp somewhere. Right.

Ended up just continuing to pay Iowa. :D:D

Reactions: warhorse

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We know we have to pay, and we know it's too much, but they continue to kick us down and create more obstacles to overcome just to be legal.
Why does every registration have to be a one of a kind unique situation breaking new ground that has never been foreseen before?
I feel like I am on the Lewis and Clark expedition.

·
Administrator
23,029 Posts
We know we have to pay, and we know it's too much, but they continue to kick us down and create more obstacles to overcome just to be legal.
Why does every registration have to be a one of a kind unique situation breaking new ground that has never been foreseen before?
SNAFU

Don't expect DMV to understand how the Volt works. The person at the DMV may have mixed up Volt with Bolt. Or just totally screwed up.

Every registration does not need to be one of a kind. Again, my Volt registration has been handled correctly since 2011. Ditto my Bolt EV (EV license). You just got someone who made a mistake.
Illinois classifies PHEV like the Volt as a hybrid, not an EV:
"Electric vehicle" means a vehicle that is exclusively powered by and refueled by electricity, must be plugged in to charge, and is licensed to drive on public roadways. "Electric vehicle" does not include electric mopeds, electric off-highway vehicles, or hybrid electric vehicles and extended-range electric vehicles that are also equipped with conventional fueled propulsion or auxiliary engines.

I recommend ignoring the DMV counter advise and call the Sec of States office at 217-782-4908 (a PITA but worth a try). Don't try to explain how a Volt works, it's useless. Just tell them the DMV issues you the wrong license (EV) for your hybrid. How do you get the money back? They have a form of course.

To obtain your refund, please mail your Refund Request to:
Secretary of State
Department of Accounting Revenue
Refund Division
501 S. Second St., Rm. 222
Springfield, IL 62756
Refunds are generally processed within 30 days of receipt. For more information, please call 217-782-4908.

Luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep. That's the one DMV gave me on the last visit. When I called that #, the lady directed me to the top center in bold type that says if the refund is over 6 months, then I have to do anther claim form.

·
Registered
340 Posts
SNAFU
Or just totally screwed up.
That.

Go to Iowa, it is infinitely better. There, if there are any questions, you can call your local County Treasurer (yes, that's it). Everything happens at the county level.

People there are competent, thorough and accurate. Friendly and seem happy. Clean, new facility that is called the County Store.

You go there by appointment, no waiting in line with the great unwashed. If you are missing something and need to come back, you can come
back without an appointment and see the same person at their desk, who will remember you and know why you returned. They will fix it on the spot.

Only one problem, I don't know if Iowa can issue an IL title. ;);)

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
in Texas if you can't charge the Volt and have to run 100% in MM mode using only gas they will not do an inspection
so no yearly window car registration sticker.

------
And NO -- black tape over the engine light will not work :)

• Haha
Reactions: Cloudnine

·
Registered
312 Posts
hold on... you have 1.5 Volts? (3/4 + 3/4)
.75 BEV + .75 ICE = 1 Volt.
It's not a full electric car. I has less battery capacity, goes a shorter distance, and has slower acceleration due to carrying that ICE stuff, than a typical battery powered car, so it's 3/4 of a typical BEV.
It's not a full ICE car. It has a small fuel tank, goes a shorter distance, and has slower acceleration due to carrying that BEV stuff, than a typical ICE powered car, so it's maybe 3/4 of a typical ICE.

Don't get me wrong. I have zero expectation of any offset or rebate when the state imposes a road use fee on electric cars as alternate to the pump-paid road use tax on ICE cars. I fully expect I'll be double taxed although I have one registration and insurance coverage on this car(s).

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if the tax were based on annual mileage and vehicle weight? The tax would be paid without worry about the mode of propulsion.

Reactions: Zyth and warhorse

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ha! Except L&C enjoyed a nicer view and the people they encountered were friendlier and knew their business. L&C's trip was shorter. Finally, when they got home, they had something to show for their effort.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That would make my millionaire farmer neighbor sad. He pays motor fuel tax for his OTR trucks, but the other dyed diesel is tax free. If his crew cab pickups and tractor trailers had to pay by annual mileage and GVW, he would weep soy-tears.

The overloaded tractor trailers and farm tractors that continually drive on the shoulder of our rural roads I would say are the #1 cause of edge break up and pavement failure of our roads.

·
Registered
2̶0̶1̶1̶ ̶C̶h̶e̶v̶y̶ ̶V̶o̶l̶t̶ DEALER BUYBACK
52 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if the tax were based on annual mileage and vehicle weight? The tax would be paid without worry about the mode of propulsion.
Oregon did that a couple years ago. And the cries of outrage were enormous!

The state determined that cars were becoming too efficient. Or in the case of EV's, not paying their due road taxes. These taxes were paid when you bought fuel. Gas guzzler = lot's of funds for the roads. Efficient vehicles = lower contribution to the road fund. EV's = no paid road taxes, yet enjoying the fruit of those that paid for fuel.

So, Oregon went to an odometer model. Miles driven = taxes paid. Of course that pissed off those that paid a premium to have hybrids or EV's or newer efficient vehicles. If they are going to be taxed the same rate as a 1970's Cadillac that got 12mpg's, then why bother having a fuel efficient vehicle?

I got my surprise when I first registered my Volt here in Wisconsin. There is a $75 additional yearly fee for hybrids, and a $100 additional fee for EV's. So, I'm paying more to the state because I get better mileage, and they're not getting their dues in fuel taxes.

You can't win for helping yourself and the environment......

·
Administrator
23,029 Posts
There's no one system that will be fair to all, but I think paying a fee based on miles driven comes closest. The state gets a "road use" fee based on miles driven, the drivers pay whatever for the fuel of their choice. Those getting 12MPG will pay more per mile than someone in a Prius.

Reactions: Zyth

·
Registered
340 Posts
Steverino, Interesting theory, tough in reality. What are the costs, how to enforce? Is there a sat link in every car? Toll stations everywhere? I foresee lots of "broken" odometers. And we are in times where there is lots of resistance to Big Brother intrusions into lives. Not to mention any -ism under the sun.

·
Super Moderator
2012 Std w Nav
5,207 Posts
Steverino, Interesting theory, tough in reality. What are the costs, how to enforce? Is there a sat link in every car? Toll stations everywhere? I foresee lots of "broken" odometers. And we are in times where there is lots of resistance to Big Brother intrusions into lives. Not to mention any -ism under the sun.
Many states already have inspections required for registration. Reading mileage then is trivial. There's already penalties for selling a car without revealing odometer readings and sales taxes are due at title transfer, AND the state knows who the previous owner is. The states can easily coordinate that information transfer. Nothing about making this happen is insurmountable.

And who the heck wants terrible roads? Not even bicycle owners.

·
Administrator
23,029 Posts
Yes, no perfect solution, but an annual mileage reading does not require the dystopian big brother approach, nor toll stations, sat links, etc. And certainly more fair than charging someone with a 5k/year EV $200 extra same as a 50k/year EV driver, and way more than a 5k/year gas driver. The fee would be based on miles, maybe vehicle weight like they do with trucks given heavier=more road damage?

One downside is some of those miles may be out of state vacation miles. Again, not perfect.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts