GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would love some input on these or maybe some other alternatives.I will be self funding my project.So cost is kind of a concern.
thanks in advance
Bill

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272245079042

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
warranty seems on the low side. The LG panels on my roof have a 30yr. warranty. So 3x the warranty, but not 3x the price. Seems like the break even point is almost the same as the warranty on these.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Going for cheap panels may be one of those "penny wide pound foolish" decisions. The majority of the cost is in installation and electronics.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I actually bought two 150W panels from that guy last year. They were not packaged very well and one was damaged in shipping. And those were fully assembled in the frames (but not original packaging). Unfortunately, I checked one panel on receipt, which was fine, but not the other well enough. Discovered later the glass had shattered and pulverized (safety glass).

Selling them without the frame to claim that they are "semi flexible" seems rather rather misleading. It's glass!

Otherwise, seems like a good deal, as long as you know what you're getting, and check them carefully on receipt!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Simply not enough information to help you out. What is your purpose, goal?
hope to build a system to power my house.I have great sun coverage.I could put up to 40 panels on my house.maybe even a few in the yard.

·
Registered
907 Posts
You need the frames to mount them on your house. I can't imagine any installer would touch them. Depending on local building permitting and inspection process, seems awfully risky unless you know exactly what you're doing. Are you looking to do off-grid? You'll need all the permits and inspections for grid-tie. Remember the 30% federal tax credit.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
hope to build a system to power my house.I have great sun coverage.I could put up to 40 panels on my house.maybe even a few in the yard.
Ok, I understand now, with current technology, I would stick with a framed panel for sure. Go with this instead.

Solarworld Solar Panels (basically, they never fail and are considered the best) The new LG are interesting with the Mono X but are very expensive currently. You can find great deals on Ebay for Solarworld Panels.
Ironridge rails
Enphase Inverters

Virtually no markets exists for frame-less panels as they require very specific mounting structures. These are generally used in the Marine and RV markets. I would steer you clear of the frame-less ones and stick with what I recommended above.

I installed my own system. You can get a quick look in my profile. Best of Luck to you.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I understand now, with current technology, I would stick with a framed panel for sure. Go with this instead.

Solarworld Solar Panels (basically, they never fail and are considered the best) The new LG are interesting with the Mono X but are very expensive currently. You can find great deals on Ebay for Solarworld Panels.
Ironridge rails
Enphase Inverters

Virtually no markets exists for frame-less panels as they require very specific mounting structures. These are generally used in the Marine and RV markets. I would steer you clear of the frame-less ones and stick with what I recommended above.

I installed my own system. You can get a quick look in my profile. Best of Luck to you.
thank you and all the others for the info.in the back of my mind,these didn't seem like a good idea.the mounting of them did seem like a problem.
I'll check the solarworld panels out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts