GM Volt Forum banner

Would you like it on Facebook, forward-to-a friend, retweet, etc?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been reading a lot about GM's brain trust going back to the drawing board and preparing to relaunch within 30-60 days. http://gigaom.com/cleantech/gm-plans-to-relaunch-marketing-for-electric-volt-in-a-month-or-so/

Does anyone want to share they're thoughts, concerns, etc...?

I am more encouraged by this...

A local dealer in San Diego is looking to cross the adoption chasm with a better call to action... a campaign that not only resonates with probably everyone here but especially with those that have no idea this forum even exists. The Volt has a special opportunity, unlike any other in automotive history, to elevate people above the politics and fill a void --- to become someone better than what they were --- and let test driving the technology substantiate the Campaign's slogan. See for yourself and Enjoy.:cool:

photo.jpg Clear Iphone screen shot Ad copy Harmony Realized.jpg

·
Registered
134 Posts
So I've been reading a lot about GM's brain trust going back to the drawing board and preparing to relaunch within 30-60 days. http://gigaom.com/cleantech/gm-plans-to-relaunch-marketing-for-electric-volt-in-a-month-or-so/

Does anyone want to share they're thoughts, concerns, etc...?

I am more encouraged by this...

A local dealer in San Diego is looking to cross the adoption chasm with a better call to action... a campaign that not only resonates with probably everyone here but especially with those that have no idea this forum even exists. The Volt has a special opportunity, unlike any other in automotive history, to elevate people above the politics and fill a void --- to become someone better than what they were --- and let test driving the technology substantiate the Campaign's slogan. See for yourself and Enjoy.:cool:

View attachment 5111 View attachment 5112
This is a great find, I didn't realize that GM publicly admits it is "relauncing" the vehcile after a tough year. I also think they are on the right track, as people here like DonC and FL Henry to name a couple of many, would be better able to explain why they bought the vehcile and why they love it--rather than just a silly advertisement. We would FINALLY hear reasons like "oil independence," "save money," "technological marvel," "great way to pick up chicks"--not yet proven. Plus someone MAY want to throw in "I'm a Repubican and I still bought the thing." You know someone at GM reads these forums, let's hope they follow-through.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I agree. That IS encouraging. I like the ad too, it' s a simple and effective ad that grabs your attention and states its point quickly. I was thinking about succinct messages for the Volt today on my drive in. We talk alot on the board about details and subtle points of context in everyone's given charging scenario. I thought, how I can I state mine more succinctly?

Well, it's very, very simple and factual. I was going to buy a new car. I spend $380/month on my loan for my Volt. Every other car I considered was between $290 and $360 per month and would have cost an additional (oddly enough) $290 - $360 a month in gas. I'm saving serious money by only spending a very conservatively estimated $50/month in electricity and public charging.

Nice and simple.... Volt = $430 for me to commute to work in my own car. Other choices = $580 - $720. Period. The Volt is "too expensive"? By what calculation, I ask? That's my new ad campaign for this coming month with people that say stupid things about my car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I just wish there was more that could be done. I just found this new ad today and well, I was disappointed: http://tinyurl.com/8xmays5

I may not be popular guy after posting this, however one the best bits of advice I’ve received is this: “If you tell me what I want to hear… you’re fired! Tell me what I need to hear and you’ve got the job!”

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can't agree more with masnushawk. I was driving my GMC truck to work spending $480.00-$520.00 per month in fuel at $3.30 per gallon with today's prices who knows what I would have be spending in the future. My lease is $389.00 and I have put $14.00 in gas in my wonderful Volt so far, I purchased the Volt on 02/18/12 I am averaging 238 MPG so far and this number is climbing everyday. How can anyone argue with that mileage. I am able to charge at work now and can make the round trip without switching to the generator. The Volt is a wonderful car! Wake up America, filter out the media nonsense. The Volt is the real deal!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I suggest that GM remind itself of how the Camaro was launched - and do that for the Volt. It's obvious that the half-ass approach that was used previously didn't work. The Camaro got a well coordinated and funded campaign with ongoing elements. I think GM thought the Volt would sell itself.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
And I bought a Camaro, then later happily traded it for the superior Volt I now own. The Volt is a heck of a lot more versatile car, perhaps GM did think it would sell itself - it did to me (and most of us I suspect). The Camaro is a great, maybe the best ever, street fighter. But that's pretty much it - amazing tech to get the gas mileage it manages, but...not that much fun as a cruiser or daily driver.

The Volt beats it in everything but raw speed and gees. Hands down.

·
Registered
66 Posts
And I bought a Camaro, then later happily traded it for the superior Volt I now own. The Volt is a heck of a lot more versatile car, perhaps GM did think it would sell itself - it did to me (and most of us I suspect). The Camaro is a great, maybe the best ever, street fighter. But that's pretty much it - amazing tech to get the gas mileage it manages, but...not that much fun as a cruiser or daily driver.

The Volt beats it in everything but raw speed and gees. Hands down.

But the Camaro is a sales success, and the Volt (so far) is not - that was the point.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Sure the Camaro was/is a success. As pointed out above, it DID get the good ad campaign. It also costs less than a Volt. The Camaro has that "gets the girls" thing going on in people's minds, it's zero risk tech, or perceived as such, and is the relaunch of a car so popular they get called belly buttons - everyone has one. No surprises. While the Camaro has that "gets the girls" thing going on in some minds, my actual experience is that both draw attention from both sexes - but more girls want a ride in the Volt, it's not so intimidating. I think guys really buy the hot rod to impress other guys...and it certainly does do that. Which is somewhat funny as mine and most of the ones I've seen of this generation were driven by people you'd think were a little out of the demographic - lots of gray hair.

But then again - who else is buying new cars now that are anything but the cheapest econo-box out there? Cruzes seem to be moving pretty well off the lots...

The economy isn't helping here. Nor is the lamest ad campaign for a car I think I've ever seen. Could it be GM just really didn't want to sell too many before getting a bunch of them "beta tested" by us to see if there were any *actual* recall issues? That wouldn't be like the old GM, but who knows now?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sure the Camaro was/is a success. As pointed out above, it DID get the good ad campaign. It also costs less than a Volt. The Camaro has that "gets the girls" thing going on in people's minds, it's zero risk tech, or perceived as such, and is the relaunch of a car so popular they get called belly buttons - everyone has one. No surprises. While the Camaro has that "gets the girls" thing going on in some minds, my actual experience is that both draw attention from both sexes - but more girls want a ride in the Volt, it's not so intimidating. I think guys really buy the hot rod to impress other guys...and it certainly does do that. Which is somewhat funny as mine and most of the ones I've seen of this generation were driven by people you'd think were a little out of the demographic - lots of gray hair.

But then again - who else is buying new cars now that are anything but the cheapest econo-box out there? Cruzes seem to be moving pretty well off the lots...

The economy isn't helping here. Nor is the lamest ad campaign for a car I think I've ever seen. Could it be GM just really didn't want to sell too many before getting a bunch of them "beta tested" by us to see if there were any *actual* recall issues? That wouldn't be like the old GM, but who knows now?

Good points.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Market the Volt as the most fun to drive, "coolest high-tech" car available, and it just happens to be the most economical car to drive besides.

How many other cars have a warning that you haven't used any gas in six weeks?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think GM missed the boat big time by letting people compare the Volt to the Cruze. It should be compared to Buick, or Caddy, or better, with better then Cruze economy.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The fundamental problem with Volt advertising which is based on economics is that economics are not usually the reason people buy one car versus another. If it were, we'd all be driving diesel Kias.

I do like the idea of "does your car do this" type ads. They could be:

1) Drive for months (or years) without going to a gas station.
2) Maintenance message that you haven't used gas in six weeks.
3) Silent (show the car driving while making virtually no noise)
4) Switching to the ICE generator (show the car at the end of its range switching on the ICE and then driving off into the sunset).
5) Show the tailpipe with a CO2 meter on it reading 0.
6) Show a Volt being charged with a "cost meter" counting up to the full charge cost overnight. Then show it across multiple days for a month, ending with a display showing the total cost to charge the car for the month versus the cost to buy the gas for an equivalent range.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brand new to these forums and just starting to get read through everything. I just bought the Volt 2 weeks ago today and, though I'm undoubtedly still in the honeymoon period, I absolutely love it. Traded in my Mercedes and don't think I'll ever look back. This is also my first American car (even though I was born in Detroit believe it or not).

Oh, and I'm an active Republican. 39 years old, father of 3, partner at a lawfirm here in LA.

This Volt feels like a kept secret to me. Looking forward to seeing how Chevy relaunches their ad campaign and gets the word out. Now that they've built it, the people will come.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think the marketing is fairly misguided. Their slogan is that it's more car than electric. That slogan reinforces the comparisons others make to cars like the Cruze, and will make people think that the only really special thing about the Volt is that it's electric. They should be saying that it's not like anything you've ever driven... it's better. Because it is. It's incredibly quiet, comfortable, handles great, and with those Bose speakers... I'm just in heaven driving to work, even when I'm stuck in traffic. The fact that people with decent incomes are buying this car proves that it compares favorably with luxury cars, and at a bargain price when fuel savings are factored in. They shouldn't be afraid of being different... they should play it up as much as they can. Make people curious. Once you start saying that this brand new thing is just like everything else, you've surrendered your edge.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Dbro and wticknor -- you two are "dead on target" regarding advertising issues associated with the Chevy Volt. GM Advertising for the Volt simply does not communicate with the automotive enthusiast and these are the people who buy the cars!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts