GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We traded our '15 Volt for a new '17, and with all the discounts and tax goodies, basically broke even (plus taxes). We're thinking of doing the same thing with the '17 for a '19. We have a '17 Bolt, and one thing that we really like is the available "God's-Eye" view of the car when under 5 MPH, and that, plus the power seat and Homelink is almost enough incentive upgrade. Here's a tentative build that we're considering. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
We traded our '15 Volt for a new '17, and with all the discounts and tax goodies, basically broke even (plus taxes). We're thinking of doing the same thing with the '17 for a '19. We have a '17 Bolt, and one thing that we really like is the available "God's-Eye" view of the car when under 5 MPH, and that, plus the power seat and Homelink is almost enough incentive upgrade. Here's a tentative build that we're considering. Any suggestions?
As far as I am aware that overhead view is not available on any Volt, only on the Bolt (Premier model only.) Homelink is a dealer installed option, it can be installed on your 2017 Volt. The 2019 Volt power driver's seat does not have memory settings for the seat position or the side mirrors. The power seat does not lower the seat automatically to make entering or exiting the Volt easier for the driver (FWIW, the Tesla Model 3 has this feature.) The 2019 Volt has an improved HD backup camera (the Volt really needed a better backup camera.) The 7.2kW on-board charger is nice but most days I can charge my 2017 Volt using 3.6kW level 2 charging in less than 2 hours (I don't typically drive many miles each day.) I don't see any of the 2019 Volt features as compelling enough to change to the 2019. My favorite driver assistance feature on my 2017 Volt Premier is the ACC. You did not say if you have ACC on your 2017 Volt, ACC is not yet available on the Bolt. Personally, I am going to keep driving my 2017 Volt Premier and see what the Tesla Model Y turns out to offer. That is one vehicle that might get me to change cars.

·
Registered
236 Posts
As far as I am aware that overhead view is not available on any Volt, only on the Bolt (Premier model only.) Homelink is a dealer installed option, it can be installed on your 2017 Volt. The 2019 Volt power driver's seat does not have memory settings for the seat position or the side mirrors. The power seat does not lower the seat automatically to make entering or exiting the Volt easier for the driver (FWIW, the Tesla Model 3 has this feature.) The 2019 Volt has an improved HD backup camera (the Volt really needed a better backup camera.) The 7.2kW on-board charger is nice but most days I can charge my 2017 Volt using 3.6kW level 2 charging in less than 2 hours (I don't typically drive many miles each day.) I don't see any of the 2019 Volt features as compelling enough to change to the 2019. My favorite driver assistance feature on my 2017 Volt Premier is the ACC. You did not say if you have ACC on your 2017 Volt, ACC is not yet available on the Bolt. Personally, I am going to keep driving my 2017 Volt Premier and see what the Tesla Model Y turns out to offer. That is one vehicle that might get me to change cars.
But a whole different price point! If it ever gets built...

·
Registered
514 Posts
We have the non-memory drivers seat in our Ford - Who dreamed up that worthless piece of . . . . ??

When she gets out and I get in our '17 Volt, I can set the manual seat back to where I like it in 10 seconds or less. In the Ford, I swear it takes a minute or more and even then, a couple more tweaks to get it just right as I'm driving down the road. If a power seat doesn't have at least a two person memory, they can keep it - Sure not worth paying 5 extra dollars for

Don

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Just because a feature is there, doesn't mean it's worth the price you'd pay for it. If you never use it, it is less than worthless except for the small dollar value it "might" get on trade in.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Just because a feature is there, doesn't mean it's worth the price you'd pay for it. If you never use it, it is less than worthless except for the small dollar value it "might" get on trade in.
When I sold my 2011 Ford Fusion to CarMax they made me what I thought was a decent offer for my 5 and 1/2 year old 2011 Fusion with 69k miles even though there was a sizable dent in the rear passenger door. The CarMax representative told me the car would be easy for CarMax to sell at a good profit because it was the right age and was fully loaded with every option. The dented door was not a concern. After they had purchased my Fusion CarMax repaired the door and had my Fusion listed for sale within about a month, at 1/3rd more than they paid me. The car sold within a week or so.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Please keep me and/or the thread updated on how you move forward. I'm in a 2017 as well and debating in my head. I really wish I had ACC and I also think some of the changes in charging and the deferred engine heat settings would benefit me being in Wisconsin. I should talk to the wife and get her opinion too!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know why all EV owners don't consider doing this. As long as the $7500 tax credit still applies, it's cheap to essentially "reset" your warranty by getting a new car. For $3000, I was able to "exchange" my 2.5 year old 2017 Volt for a brand new 2018 Volt with extra safety features (and black interior, to reduce glare). I'm just puzzled as to why used EVs have such good trade-in values. The tax credit makes new cars about the same price as a used one.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know why all EV owners don't consider doing this. As long as the $7500 tax credit still applies, it's cheap to essentially "reset" your warranty by getting a new car. For $3000, I was able to "exchange" my 2.5 year old 2017 Volt for a brand new 2018 Volt with extra safety features (and black interior, to reduce glare). I'm just puzzled as to why used EVs have such good trade-in values. The tax credit makes new cars about the same price as a used one.
That's kind of where we are. I flipped our 2015 Volt for the 2017 with essentially no cash needed except for taxes. Rick Alpern is offering several $K under invoice, and it's only $500 for auto transport from Van Nuys to here. Our '17 Volt doesn't have ACC, but everything about it is quite OK. I was hoping that the '19 Volt would have the "God's Eye" overhead view, which I really like and use all the time for parking, but apparently not; I'm OK with the rear camera, and don't see the value in a power seat. Colorado has a $4,000 credit, and with mandatory distributions being required from my retirement accounts, I'd really like to get $11,500 in tax credits. Now I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle of all the paperwork, transporting the new Volt here from Cali, and selling the '17. Maybe not.

So now, pondering flipping the '17 Bolt for a '19, although there's even less difference between a '17 Bolt and a '19 model than between those two Volt years. The comments have been very helpful. Any more?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here in Oregon, Wilsonville Chevrolet, about 20 miles south of Portland Oregon on Interstate Highway 5 has 2019 Volt's at $4,000 off msrp, Costco also has for 2019 Chevy's, including the Volt, a $700.00 cash card offer as well. Here is the link.

https://www.wilsonvillechevrolet.co...olet-Volt-5dr_HB_LT-Wilsonville-OR/3312037423
Rick at Keyes will sell both Bolts and Volts below invoice (not MSRP), $3000 off for vehicles in transit, $4000 for '18s on the lot. Costco cash card also available, but you must already be a current or former member (renewal of an expired membership is OK). Also, a Costco membership can get a buyer "GM Employee Pricing" during their holiday sales event. Keyes' deal still way better!

The MSRP of the '17 Bolt I bought from Keyes was
$43,280.00, and the factory invoice was $39,951.31.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thinking of flipping my 17 volt for a 18 also

Only issue I have is my GM finance rate is 0% on my 17 Volt and have around 2K in equity built in vehicle so I'd have to finance a new Volt. Any idea if Gm will offer better finance rates as the new 19 are rolling out?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looking for others opinion, I am thinking about doing this as well. Your opinions?

Trading in 2017 Chevy Volt Premier with ACC & DC2 packages, 14k miles, no damage, good condition. Being offered around $21k trade in.

Buying a new 2019 Volt Premiere or 2019 Bolt Premiere, both fully loaded. Here’s what I’m being offered for each.

Volt Premiere
MSRP $41,150
Discount $5,190
Rebate $1,500
Net $34,460
Plus tax, tag, delivery fee, doc fee, etc.

Bolt Premiere
MSRP $44,055
Discount $6621
Rebate $2065
Net $35369
Plus tax, tag, delivery fee, doc fee, etc.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Only issue I have is my GM finance rate is 0% on my 17 Volt and have around 2K in equity built in vehicle so I'd have to finance a new Volt. Any idea if Gm will offer better finance rates as the new 19 are rolling out?
I'm in the same position. I'd like to have the faster L2 charger but at 0% financing I simply can't justify the trade.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like I've found a 2019 Premier for MSRP -$4000 (before negotiations), and not too far away. I'll update if a deal is cut!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I got a 17 leased and now looking to turn it in for a -19, but instead found an -18 for $25,776.
Look like a good deal....Hiw do I get know for sure I get the tax credit, does it come with a certificate?
Just want to make sure the dealer is not playing games and trying to keep the tax credit himself: Sleazy Dealer with shaky reviews..

·
Registered
468 Posts
Will reply to my own post.
The $25,776 Volt was a scam: Bait and switch, when I showed up to buy the car, the price was $30k.
Miami Lakes Auto Mall: Fraud Farm.
Instead I found a brand new 2018 at another dealer for $28,770, (about $5,500 below sticker) negotiated away 2 fees and an appearance package and took it home today for $30,013 including sales tax and registration/tag transfer, etc.
Planning to keep it for 5 plus years and asked for extended warranty but they wanted $2020 for 5/60,000, a bit pricey as the GM warranty is already 5/60,000 on the powertrain and 8 years on the battery.
Mama is happy with her new car, but identical to the -17 we lease returned with a GM offer for “pull forward 4 months”

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just made the deal, and the new Volt is in transit. Not as good as any of our previous deals, but still not bad: $4000 off MSRP
$41,620.00 (almost everything, including ACC etc., but excluding charge port lighting, LED ambience lighting, and all weather mats--we have WeatherTechs). Mid-book trade-in price, and steep "documents" price ($600--Yikes!). Medved Chevy, Denver. No other GM or other rebates, including our educator discount, no Costco holiday program, etc., so this is the first (and last?) GM flip we'll do, and the only time we've not made money on the trade-up.

When it gets to Denver, I'm looking forward to a ten-hour roundtrip in a couple of Volts, and also to trying out the new ACC and other computer goodies on the way back!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Just made the deal, and the new Volt is in transit. Not as good as any of our previous deals, but still not bad: $4000 off MSRP
Congrats on the new Volt! They are not dealing as much on '19s so you're in good company. 4K off is fairly good and seems to be about the best you can do from what I've been hearing. Low supply, end of tax credit coming, and no real money on the hood from GM. There are still great deals on the '18 but it's basically the same car as your '17. In my test drive of the '19 I didn't think the changes were worth the 4K-8K premium over a similar '18, but I might end up doing what you did and getting one just to have the last model year.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They threw in a "trailer hitch" (aka, light duty receiver). After "making money" on all my other flips (volt-volt, bolt-bolt), it looks like overall we'll break even on these deals. Not too bad, upgrading to new models five times at no cost (but lots of bother and paperwork!).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts