GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Look at the radiator fins in the lower part of the front grille (but the car is almost brand new I doubt they will be in a bad condition)
Look at the paint in the front door sills.
That's all IMO

·
Registered
485 Posts
Check for brake pedal squeak (even if present, is fixed under B2B warranty, if still available 3yrs from purchase date, 36K)

Check lifetime MPG and mileage to get an idea of gas engine vs. battery usage. Likely doesn't matter much on a car this new, but nice to know. Could also take this info 2 ways -- heavy gas usage likely means lots of highway use, which could mean less wear on the suspension.

Make sure the car accepts a full charge. Tell whoever you're buying it from to plug it into an AC outlet if its not charged when you get there, and let it go overnight if you have to before committing. Don't worry about the range stated on the display, as it'll likely rate lower based on salespeople blasting the AC and not knowing how to use the car on test drives. Just make sure your green battery indicator fills completely.

Relating to the last one, make sure the car has an OEM charger included with it, and that the charger works.

Finally, while I don't want to presume as to your situation, if you're eligible for rebates, you can get up to $7500 back off retail in Federal Tax Credits for a new car, and many states offer between $500-$5000 in additional state incentived. Even if you're retired/on fixed income, you may be able to generate income to be taxed (and then credited back) by converting your standard IRA/401(k) funds to Roth funds. This also has the added benefit of making future withdrawals of converted funds tax-free. Compared to the prices I've seen on used Volts, new is often a better option, as base cars go for around $28K before credits are applied, and Premiers around $35K, so after credits you're down to around $20K on a base model, $27K on a Premier. Perhaps you've found a better deal, but around me, Used Volts are listed in that range and are not eligible for credits.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts