GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was previously the owner of a 2013 Volt. Have bounced in and out of a couple of cars since then. The lease on my 2016 Porsche Cayenne is up at the end of June and I'm seriously thinking about coming back to the Volt.

I've thought about getting a BEV, but I don't think we are there just yet and the EV mileage that the Volt offers along with the ability of extended range when needed is very hard to beat. Quite honestly I think it is a completely underrated car.

Given my lease is up at the end of June, Does it makes most sense to wait for the 2019 Volt? When does GM typically announce and then release the new model year?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
New models usually show up in September. But given that your history suggests you want a more short term relationship, leasing seems like a better idea. And when leasing the allure of a new model year is muted when compared to the discounts available on the last year closeout. The Volt will likely get a refresh, but probably not for next year. Plus in June you'll also likely still be able to get some money for the tax credit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Volt is totally underestimated, you're right. The car is fun to drive, comfortable, and feature packed if you get Premier with ACC.

We have a Bolt as well and the thing is amazingly fast and fun. We can comfortably take it on 200 mile trips, but even with DCFC it is not convenient to go much farther.

With the Volt, I can drive for months and use nearly no gas, but then also fill it up and not worry on a long trip.

I honestly like the quirky style of the Gen1, but the controls, passenger room, and cargo space are much better in Gen2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New models usually show up in September. But given that your history suggests you want a more short term relationship, leasing seems like a better idea. And when leasing the allure of a new model year is muted when compared to the discounts available on the last year closeout. The Volt will likely get a refresh, but probably not for next year. Plus in June you'll also likely still be able to get some money for the tax credit.
Definitely agree with the end of year leasing options. My only reason to holdout would be if the 2019 got more EV mileage. Other than that the ‘18 has all the features I would want. Will we know what the ‘19 model will hold by June/July?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely agree with the end of year leasing options. My only reason to holdout would be if the 2019 got more EV mileage. Other than that the ‘18 has all the features I would want. Will we know what the ‘19 model will hold by June/July?
I liked my Gen 1. The deal breaker for me was that the EV range was just a little too short, and the older engine was a bit noisy. But I do prefer the styling of the Gen 1. I did go and test drive the Bolt. It is really peppy and I like the seating position etc; however, I do want a car I can drive anytime anywhere, and for we the seats were a little narrow (and I’m about 6ft 170) - but that is completely a personal thing and I know many folks who have no issue with them at all.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I liked my Gen 1. The deal breaker for me was that the EV range was just a little too short, and the older engine was a bit noisy. But I do prefer the styling of the Gen 1. I did go and test drive the Bolt. It is really peppy and I like the seating position etc; however, I do want a car I can drive anytime anywhere, and for we the seats were a little narrow (and I’m about 6ft 170) - but that is completely a personal thing and I know many folks who have no issue with them at all.
The G2 engine is still a little noisy for many people's taste.

As for lease deals, you have to balance early models with late ones. Early in the model year the deals on the cars aren't as good, but the residuals are better. Later in the model year the deals on the cars are better, but since you are essentially getting a car that's almost 1 year old, the residual values are less.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The G2 engine is still a little noisy for many people's taste.
Interesting. My wife can't even tell when it's on. And I can barely tell - more because I'm attuned to the faint vibration and hum from the engine than because it's noisy. It's MUCH quieter than pretty much any ICE car I've ever driven.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Interesting. My wife can't even tell when it's on. And I can barely tell - more because I'm attuned to the faint vibration and hum from the engine than because it's noisy. It's MUCH quieter than pretty much any ICE car I've ever driven.
We must have driven different cars ;)

And sometimes it's not so much the volume, as the pitch. Some notes are much more annoying than others. The low rumble of a V8 for instance, is almost soothing. And a lot of ICE cars today use noise cancelling technology to quiet the cabin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts